AHI of 0.0 one night out of the last two weeks??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
islandboy5150

AHI of 0.0 one night out of the last two weeks??

Post by islandboy5150 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Is a 0.0 really possible? I usually wake to read a 1.8 consistently, every morning. Yesterday though, I woke up feeling as refreshed as a pre-teen, (almost never happens, like once every ten years), I looked at my numbers to find 0.0! Really! But, unfortunately I have no idea what allowed that to happen nor how or what to do to make it happen again

OKCSleepDoc

Re: AHI of 0.0 one night out of the last two weeks??

Post by OKCSleepDoc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Its pretty hard to get 0.0 on any given night, but I have seen it happen with a few patients who have it consistently! You could try to increase your pressure a bit to see if it helps to maintain a 0.0, but there is always the risk of this triggering more central apneas. Either way, I'm glad that you had a really great night of restful sleep and hopefully you have many more!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Personally..I wouldn't care if I ever got a 0,0. My AHI averages between 1.5 and 2.5 almost every night. I don't think I would feel any better with a 0.0. In my 5 years on CPAP I have only gotten below 1,0 on 3-4 occasions. It's not worth the effort to worry or even think about it.

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Yea, Im not too concerned about it, but if I ever find that "silver bullet" that gets me consistent or nearly so AHIs of 0.0 I would be over the moon!

SeekSleep

Post by SeekSleep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 pm

This is one area where I am currently happy as can be. During my CPAP titration, they couldn't get my AHI under the mid thirties, so I did another titration and subsequently went on a bipap machine for a little over a hundred days where my average AHI was in the 11 plus range. Third study, ASV machine, and now have had 20 0.0 nights out of 62 nights so far with an average of 0.71. The best part though, I feel as you would expect with those numbers, have started running again, working out, dropping weight, and thinking I need to talk to the doctor about coming off the blood pressure meds as my blood pressure is kind of low.

While these machines can be a pain to deal with, they can and sometimes do work wonders, significantly improving the quality of your life.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:17 am

Seeing a 0.0 night does feel good. I see them now and then. If I could get zero nights regularly, I would. Even with an AHI of 1.0 it means in an 8 hour night that is 8 events, so why not prevent them if reasonable to do so? Problem with me is my pressure had to go up to 13 just to keep my AHI between 0.5 - 1.9 and this pressure introduced air in the belly problems. Just hoping my pressure needs don't increase any more. For some, higher pressure would mean centrals or leak troubles. But if a pressure just a tad bit higher didn't cause consequences, I'd be one to go for the gusto.

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:59 am

Here, maybe bad news, but it seems that the S9 can lock up at 0.0 AHI sometimes. I myself have had six days in a row with 0.0 AHI. Just unplug the power for a few minutes so the problem is solved. I've seen a thread here about this problem, search and maybe you'll find it.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

Iowamv

Post by Iowamv » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 am

islandboy5150 wrote:Is a 0.0 really possible? I usually wake to read a 1.8 consistently, every morning. Yesterday though, I woke up feeling as refreshed as a pre-teen, (almost never happens, like once every ten years), I looked at my numbers to find 0.0! Really! But, unfortunately I have no idea what allowed that to happen nor how or what to do to make it happen again
I get that chasing 0.0 might be silly, but "feeling refreshed as a pre-teen"? That does seem like a goal worth chasing. I thought you were asking how to recreate that once-a-decade feeling. If I were you, I'd be thinking about what I did prior to bedtime that could have helped (more exercise that day? Diet change? Timing of eating relative to bedtime?). That's worth keeping a journal about in my book, because I am definitely after better sleep.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:26 am

Congratulations islandboy5150! May your therapy continue to provide you good sleep and good health!

Though the search for the elusive 0.0 night can be a helpful goal for those trying to dial in their PAP therapy, it can become for some a negative search, especially if their therapy is already working well and it becomes an obsessive, counter productive search. With that said, and acknowledging the possibility of machine errors that can produce a 0.0, the first time I ever got a 0.0 it was like I was Charlie from the movie 'Willy Wonka' and had just found the coveted golden ticket! I was elated and felt that I had finally beaten this thing we all share called Sleep Apnea! Well it proved to be a short lived victory celebration when the next few nights I went back to my normal AHI for that time in my PAP journey and I felt somewhat dejected.

In reading the posts over time following this magical event I saw various posts and replies to posts from some of the 'Wise Ones' and came to my own happy place with the whole 0.0 AHI thing. When I get an 0.0 I greatly enjoy the feeling of my machine and my body working as a team to provide me optimal therapy, but I now realize that for me, it is how I feel with the therapy and sleep that I am getting that ultimately matters most, not the attainment of a 0.0 'perfect score' .

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Iowamv wrote:
islandboy5150 wrote:Is a 0.0 really possible? I usually wake to read a 1.8 consistently, every morning. Yesterday though, I woke up feeling as refreshed as a pre-teen, (almost never happens, like once every ten years), I looked at my numbers to find 0.0! Really! But, unfortunately I have no idea what allowed that to happen nor how or what to do to make it happen again
I get that chasing 0.0 might be silly, but "feeling refreshed as a pre-teen"? That does seem like a goal worth chasing. I thought you were asking how to recreate that once-a-decade feeling. If I were you, I'd be thinking about what I did prior to bedtime that could have helped (more exercise that day? Diet change? Timing of eating relative to bedtime?). That's worth keeping a journal about in my book, because I am definitely after better sleep.
OH, I Have! But, in my current state, it's not something I can expect every night....clearing my throat here lol. What I did before falling asleep wouldn't be decent to discuss in public . Ahhhh. What a night:)

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 pm

You know what's weird though, no matter if I have a 1.0 or an 8.0, I still feel about as bad the next day.. Not bad bad, but not full of energy either. Just sludging and plodding along, forcing myself to go through the motions you know? If I had that same dim bulb feeling after the 0.0 night, I might believe my machine just had a little glitch and hung on the zeros but I FELT WONDERFUL!!!!!!
I'm wondering how much of an effect switching to an auto machine has had on me. Just providing enough pressure to keep my airway open, but not so much to induce centrals as much. I've been so much better on my new S9 elite auto it's not funny. Almost seems like a crime that compliant patients have to get stuck with a straight CPAP brick at all. Once you've demonstrated compliance, you should be switched to an auto immediatly I think. If I had been able to get onto an auto after I proved I was compliant, who knows how much better I would have felt and done since six years ago!
Now, as my luck would have it my Quattro is cutting the bridge of my nose open again. Ugggh. I think I'm going to try a hybrid. Been wanting to do that anyway. And, I'm designing a new cap myself, to replace the regular headgear. Sort of like a PapCap, but customized by me just for me. It's my new labrat experiment.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:52 pm

islandboy5150 wrote:Yea, Im not too concerned about it, but if I ever find that "silver bullet" that gets me consistent or nearly so AHIs of 0.0 I would be over the moon!
Perhaps you could keep a journal.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm

I have occassional 0.0 AHI & fairly regular 0.0 leak nights. What I'm waiting for is a night w/ both @ 0! No particular reason. It just would be neat to see it!