Used supplies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
3kittymom

Used supplies

Post by 3kittymom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm

What do you do with your used supplies when you get them replaced every 3 months? I'm thinking mainly about the heated hoses for the ResMed S9. Seems a shame to toss them out.

ughwhatname

Re: Used supplies

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:59 pm

3kittymom wrote:What do you do with your used supplies when you get them replaced every 3 months? I'm thinking mainly about the heated hoses for the ResMed S9. Seems a shame to toss them out.
I just passed my one year anniversary and I'm still using my original heated hose. It's not broken so I'm not replacing it.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 pm

3kittymom wrote:What do you do with your used supplies when you get them replaced every 3 months? I'm thinking mainly about the heated hoses for the ResMed S9. Seems a shame to toss them out.
I started therapy in May of 2005 and am still using the very same hose and mask I started with. Other than the original purchase, I've never asked my insurance provider to "replace" any of my supplies or machines. I've purchased everything since then out-of-pocket. I got four years out of my first set of headgear and six years out of my first mask seal/cushion (it still sealed fine, but I was curious how some of the spares I had would compare). I'm pretty well stocked up on most everything I need for the rest of my life. I haven't thrown out or disposed of anything.......I've kept them for spares.

Den

Bobshouse

Post by Bobshouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Don't toss them, save them for backup! If you don't need them, don't feed the beast! (your DME)

kwikwater

Post by kwikwater » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm

this reminds me of a friend that thinks he HAS to get all those supplies because they offer them. I just order what I need, and not until I need it. It's a big fantasy that they would reward you for not running up the costs!!

Additional Comments: PulseOx CMS-50D+, Papcap, SleepyHead

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 pm

I am trying new stuff on my own dime; Medicare will provide replacement parts.
I intend to stay enough ahead so that somebody's incompetence does not result in my suffering.

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 am

My insurance provider is very liberal about keeping me in supplies. At first I wojld only order when I needed stuff and when new would come I would install it, clean tbe old as it was near perfect and put it in the bag the new came from and save it for a rainy day. My insurance costs $2,100 month and the wah it is rising since nobamacare I may not get to keep it. This year it went up more than any year due to a luxury tax imposed by new health care law saying certain "caddilac" policies were unfair to others thus the government is taxing them to supposidly use the money to provide insjrance for people who cant afford it. Also got a list this past January of about 20 services the government will no longer allow private insurance be allowed to pay. Now I get everything I am entitled to, if the old is still fine I put it in a box for later use. If next year I get cut to one hose and mask then spares are here. I am around 17 years from medicare and for all K know they will not provide equipment by the time I reach age. Due to health issues I only work 2.5 eight hour days a week on average instead of 5 ten hour days. I may have to give this policy up. I added an employee and could not put him on this policy. It has been deemed unfair and anyone on it less than 7.5 years had to move into a downgraded government approved policy. For all I know another Federal rule changes could put me on budget insurance. Thus I am getting all I can till we see how it pays out. Getting a new machine before years end along with supplies and lab visits in case I lose them next year.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 am

I change my hose once a year....I never clean it. I take the old hose and cut off the ends. Then I cut it to make a slit from end to end. I use it to hide electrical cords along the baseboard or around my computer station. Makes things look neat.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:04 am

What a great idea to hide your cords! I have never replaced my hoses in 8 years, though, or anything but masks that the headgear has worn out. oh, and filters, of course.

Last edited by herefishy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

When you have to rely on your own wallet to get supplies, you try to be very frugal. But anything that I don't need in my stash that is still useable I will pass on to others that do.
Cheers
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm

I have offered used masks and cushions on this forum free. I have asked people to only take what they need and to pay shipping costs if they can. You would be surprised how many people tape and glue their mask parts to try to get more life out of them. What seems like junk to some is a wonderful gift to others.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm

I use my supplies until they are definitely dead, then throw them out. If I get automatic refills on them, I store and hoard them for the day that I can't afford to buy them, or don't have insurance for them.

If they become too much to store, I pass on bits of my hoard to forum members. Just gave away an old CPAP machine and a whole bunch of unused nasal cannulas to forum members here.

Don't throw away good working stuff. Use it up until it's dead and then throw it out.

Hoard the good stuff. You never know when your circumstances might change and you can no longer afford those supplies.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:00 pm

"You never know": words to live by.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm

As I see it, you have three choices: Keep them stashed in your closet while saving them for a backup/rainy day (but you have insurance, so IMO, what's the point?). Sell them on this forum dirt cheap, and I mean 'dirt' cheap. Give them away free on this forum or to charity (ask your DME).

None of those are invalid choices, so in a way you are home free and luckier than a lot of people on this forum. As a personal note, I have given away masks and misc accessories on this forum and it's a very nice feeling... especially with the holidays coming up.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:22 pm

The point is, many of us are dependent upon an employer's income and health benefits.

I am just one layoff away from losing all that, and thus I counsel hoarding supplies.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)