Used supplies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleeplessinaz

Re: Used supplies

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi there,
My two cents is that I pay dearly for private insurance and I get whatever supplies my insurance pays for as soon as they allow it! I can't imagine using the same tube for 6 years? Come on now, that's darn right unhealthy! I stockpile and put things away for when I might need them. No harm in that.

Carrie.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:49 pm

When I first started on CPAP I had really good insurance and I hourded all the supplies I could get. When I lost my job and my health insurance it was a godsend.

The kindness of others here in the group as well as, CPAP auction and Ebay have kept me up and running. I have insurance now...but I really can't afford to use it. And next year is going to be even worst.

I am glad I did have a little bit of a hoard of supplies.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am

Or you could have insurance like mine.

I just turned in my bill from CPAP.com for reimbursement on a machine, hose, mask, filters, and snuggly.

The did not pay a dime for the mask. They paid for the cheap filters. They paid about 25% on the new APAP.

So, as you can see, I'm not really getting full service from my insurance, and having to pay for most stuff out of pocket.

But the alternative is using a brick and mortar DME, which is far too frustrating to me.

For my peace of mind, with my current income, it's easier on me to just buy online from cpap.com and pay out of pocket. Far less stress.

But one day I may not be so fortunate, and then I'll HAVE to use a brick and mortar DME and be at their mercy. So I hoard what I can now, for the that eventuality.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 am

In my experience, it can take quite a long time to find the right bra, purse, or mask.
Invariably, my favorite ANYTHING gets discontinued. The most awesome are dropped soonest.
Garbage, they will make forever! If I buy extras, it is pure self-preservation!

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:41 am

Are you talking about my vast hoard of bras, Chunky? Because those can do double duty as tote bags or slingshots, should the Zombie Apocalypse hit.

It's the truth you speak, Chunky Frog. You must be a Prophet! ALL HAIL CHUNKY FROG!

LOL,
B.

Last edited by Babette on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am

Fortunately, my "lungs" are small enough that, should my last good bra die before I find another, I can go "commando".
I never wished for "big uns", thank goodness I could never afford to buy some.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

You gals crack me up, especially CF. You seldom hear guys crack jokes about their jockstraps or their 'junk'.

EDIT regarding my previous post: Every now and then when I mention the benefits of giving to charity (and I do that a lot), some folks seem to take a vague umbrage and follow up by saying hoarding/storage is the best way to go. Hey, I'm totally down with that... I'd absolutely do it myself if my circumstances suggested that was the right move and that it was wise to store CPAP stuff for a rainy day. I get it and, like I originally stated in my earlier post, it's a totally valid way to go. Of course, so is charity. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I was just getting over 6 months on an S9 heated hose
The grey cuff ended up getting so stretched and loose that it developed leaks where it connects to the mask.
I normally disconnect my mask hose from the cuff using a snapping type action with both hands. I'm thinking this maybe too harsh. But you can't simply pull it out or even twist and pull it out so I'm not sure what else to try. Also i noticed that the cuff end of the hose where it joins the machine can also get stretched and come loose.

Getting supplies on insurance is a thing of the past now. My deductible has increased and the replacement schedule on my BCBS is worse than medicare. I I went from two pillows a month to one set every 6 months. Crazy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:Hi there,
My two cents is that I pay dearly for private insurance and I get whatever supplies my insurance pays for as soon as they allow it! I can't imagine using the same tube for 6 years? Come on now, that's darn right unhealthy! I stockpile and put things away for when I might need them. No harm in that.

Carrie.
For me, it's now over 8 years (about 8 1/2) for the original hose. I've had hot water in it a couple of times over those years to check for leaks.

How is it "unhealthy"? I clean my foam air intake filters twice a month and use distilled water in my tank (no heat). Air is clean, water is clean. No pathogens (if there were any) could be carried out of the humidifier tank with water molecules because they're larger than the water molecules. If there's anything in the water in the tank, it stays there. It's like a "water bath air filter". Still much safer than breathing unfiltered air (outside or room), handling doorknobs touched by others, having coworkers breathe or cough on you, etc., etc. I find it illogical to think that I could be able to infect myself with my own germs.

I have a sufficient number of spares of everything. I bought them with my own money because my insurance deductible was fairly high and it didn't make sense to overpay for the supplies when I could get them for much less from online sellers or private individuals. When the time comes, I'll use them......and have.

Den

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Since cpap users are only a small percentage of the population, we are likely to be first to be cut out/down
by insurance companies and our employer-negotiated health plans.
Maybe adequate cpap coverage is considered "Cadillac" coverage? That would be stupid!
Depriving us of this life-saving therapy would cost them much more in the long run.
Yep, stupid; they are good at that.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm with Den. I wash my hose MAYBE twice a year. I've had the same hose on my machine for years. I don't have cats that play with it, it's constantly covered with a snuggy, and it just doesn't get damaged.

Unhealthy? I get maybe one cold a year. Doesn't everyone?

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Since cpap users are only a small percentage of the population, we are likely to be first to be cut out/down
by insurance companies and our employer-negotiated health plans.
Maybe adequate cpap coverage is considered "Cadillac" coverage? That would be stupid!
Depriving us of this life-saving therapy would cost them much more in the long run.
Yep, stupid; they are good at that.
Doesn't cost them a dime when we die young of a heart attack.
B.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:31 pm

I have given away a lot of extra stuff. I never had insurance until last April. My income has dropped so now I am going to start saving extra supplies. I can't see me having a huge stockpile ever but I don't want to run out and not be able to afford a replacement. We just have to do what seems best for us at the time.