comparing resmed vpap s S8 and S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lhpangler

comparing resmed vpap s S8 and S9

Post by lhpangler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Hello,
Does anybody happen to have both a S8 and a S9? I recently purchased a cheap, used S8 but ended up receiving a S9. It was only used for 3 hours and about 75% off of list. I want to compare my findings with anyone else.

First, this unit is lighter in weight.
Second, it is much quieter.
Third, the daily AHI's reported are lower using the S9 for me (1.5 versus .3-.5)
Fourth, dream state seems much more active.
Fifth, sleeping time seems longer and less interrupted. With S8, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and sleep duration is a range of hours b/t 6-8. The S9 seems to be about 9 hours a night.

These are just my own impressions and I was curious to see if anyone else might chime in.

regards
LHP

Pugsy

Re: comparing resmed vpap s S8 and S9

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm

The S8 machines were known to report rather high hyponea counts when compared to the S9 machines.
So if your difference in AHI is mainly the hyponea indexes...and the S9 is typically less...that's fairly common.
With the S9 machines came a new algorithm or change in the way the machine addresses the events and utilizes its easy breathe technology to make things just smoother and more comfortable and generally more natural breathing.
I never used a S8 machine at all but I have used the S9 VPAP and I am not surprised that you are sleeping better and longer.
They made a good machine even better with the improvements to the S9 from the S8.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kbobtn

Post by kbobtn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:16 pm

I had an S8 Auto 25 for about four years before it had a meltdown (woke up smelling hot plastic). It was setup as straight bi-level and I had no capability to regularly monitor data, so I can't say much about the effectiveness, but the S9 I have now is much better. It is much quieter, and the machine is much more responsive to my breathing pattern. A far more comfortable experience. And the easy access to data has made me more satisfied that I am getting the desired result.

lhpangler

Post by lhpangler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:28 pm

thank you for your responses. It seems to me that I am not imaging things.....

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Used a S8 AutoSet II for (5) years and switched to a S9 AutoSet a week ago. I sleep better with the S9, it's quieter and my AHI has dropped from a average of 3.4 to 0.5; I like my new machine!

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 am

In my experience with the S8 Elite, whatever it reports for the HI portion of the AHI can be cut in half to approximate what the S9 will report.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm

I have both - and they are both ASV-type machines - an S8 vpap adapt ASV enhanced and an S9 vpap asv with auto EPAP and heated hose. For me there was no comparison, the S9 treats my apnea way better and is much more comfortable - ahi dropped from around 7-8 to 0 - 0.2 and i almost always sleep straight through for 7.5 to 8.5 hours each night. I also have a Respironics 950 which is the equivalent of the S9 except without the heated hose and the S9 is way better in the treatment of my apnea. I have no complaints at all about the S9 and really don't need any technological improvements in the future, this unit i could easily use for the rest of my life.