Full Face Mask Suggestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul254

Full Face Mask Suggestion

Post by Paul254 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 pm

I currently use a ResMed Nasal Soft Gel. I'm looking for a full face mask to use when I'm stuffed up. All suggestions are welcome.

tia.

Paul

biker

Re: Full Face Mask Suggestion

Post by biker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I can highly recommend the quattro air.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm

biker wrote:I can highly recommend the quattro air.
+1.

Just remember they tend to run small.

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

old dude wrote:
biker wrote:I can highly recommend the quattro air.
+1.

Just remember they tend to run small.
I strongly agree with Old Dude on both points.

Vader

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 pm

I would throw one of the hybrid designs into the ring. I'm partial to the Respcare Hybrid. I believe with its 3 sizes of cushions and nasal pillows, it can be fitted successfully to any face. (all are included)

The Liberty didn't fit my face well, but others have good luck with it.

I will never go back to a FF mask and sore nose...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Indyellen

Post by Indyellen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am

I just found out my DME provider doesn't carry ResMed masks anymore due to poor insurance coverage. They are only carrying Respironics.

The respiratory therapist said there is a full face mask that they have that is "like the Quattro (which is what I use now) but easier". Does anyone have any idea what mask she might be referring to?

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 am

Indyellen wrote:I just found out my DME provider doesn't carry ResMed masks anymore due to poor insurance coverage. They are only carrying Respironics.

The respiratory therapist said there is a full face mask that they have that is "like the Quattro (which is what I use now) but easier". Does anyone have any idea what mask she might be referring to?
I don't have any idea what she's referring to, but I doubt it's any easier to use than the Quattro. Without knowing for sure I'd be willing to bet that the Mirage Quattro is the best selling FFM on the market. I personally had a problem with it rubbing an awful sore on my nose from time to time but that was likely just the shape of my face. I still keep it around as my go-to mask if I have a problem with something else on a particular night.

It sounds to me like they're trying to steer you into a mask that they get a good deal on, therefore increasing their profit. I'd insist on a genuine Mirage Quattro if that's what I wanted. My DME will actually order a mask I want from our host here if I want one they don't have in stock!

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 am

Indyellen wrote:I just found out my DME provider doesn't carry ResMed masks anymore due to poor insurance coverage. They are only carrying Respironics.

I'm going to guess that they're referring to the Amara or Amara Gel. In my experience, the Amara is a pretty poor replacement for the Quattro. But I will admit, I have NEVER had a Respironics mask that worked for me. Though I'm sure they work for others.

if it were **me**, and my DME couldn't get me what I need, (and works for me) I would seek a different DME.

Vader

333sps

Post by 333sps » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:37 pm

My Mirage Quatro works great. It does bleed air into my mouth a little bit but that is okay. I had a nasal mask for my titration study, that was uncomfortable. She gave me a full face mask and I use it now. It also does a great job at expelling CO2.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:57 pm

333sps wrote:My Mirage Quatro works great. It does bleed air into my mouth a little bit but that is okay. I had a nasal mask for my titration study, that was uncomfortable. She gave me a full face mask and I use it now. It also does a great job at expelling CO2.
Bleed air into the mouth? A FFM is designed for air to go into both your mouth and nose

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:19 am

Since you already like gel, you might consider the P-R Comfortgel blue full face, of even the EasyFit Silkgel full face by DeVillBiss.
Hans Rudolph has a full face gel that cups the chin, if you need that feature.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 am

Paul254 wrote:I currently use a ResMed Nasal Soft Gel. I'm looking for a full face mask to use when I'm stuffed up. All suggestions are welcome.

tia.

Paul
First, you have to consider you have a Respironics One machine to start with. So if you go with a PR mask, at least you can use the 'resistance control' setting on your One machine, so that's a plus. (With non-respironics masks you should leave the resistance control off).

Second, re masks, I have used a lot of FF masks, and for Respironics FF masks I would definitely recommend the new Amara Gel FF above their older models. Not the plain Amara silicone but the Gel version. The Gel model is a great mask, recently introduced, and I have had excellent results using it. It's extremely quiet, comfortable, well-fitting and leak free, with excellent headgear. Plus it's extremely small, light and easy to clean. It's like a hybrid between the Quattro and the Quattro Air. Plus, it is also cheaper than the ResMed Quattros and has cheaper replacement cushions. And the blue color is fun too.

If you are ok with trying other brands, the old Quattro is the gold standard FF mask and is extremely comfortable and almost silent. It is however, a tad bulky, ugly, and time consuming to disassemble for full cleaning. The new Quattro Air has gotten good reviews by many folks and is far lighter, smaller and easier to clean,

If you want a FF mask with no obtrusive 'forehead brace' I'd recommend the U.S.-made Hans Rudolph V2. It is unique in that it is all one piece of solid, medical grade silicone, and is built like a tank. Mine has lasted near a year without problems. It fits tight but once fitted, it has few to no leaks with movement. The vent is a tad noisier but not bad. It's super easy to clean, and is even dishwasher safe. Plus it's less costly than other masks.

The other good FF mask without a forehead brace is the Quattro FX. Its small, light, very quiet and comfortable, easy to clean, with great headgear, although some people have reported more leaks with movement. I have had a few minor leaks with the FX but not bad. Others have reported more (or less). All depends on fit and cushion condition, etc.

Good luck!