Almost done with traveling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

Almost done with traveling

Post by quietmorning » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 am

I just got back from the West Coast - second trip, will fly out again next week. It's been a heavy duty three months.

In all of this, I've been trying to get a DME set up for my mother - and am still in the process. Medicare has some pretty weird ins and outs, and evidently her Medicare plan is an HMO. She is sending a release of information statement to her doctor this week so that I can work on getting her set up with a DME. Hopefully I'll be able to call her insurance and find out what they actually cover.

My father passed away rather suddenly just a few weeks after my sister in law passed away. My mother returned the two data capable cpap machines I purchased from SecondWind CPAP - so I purchased one for her again, and am working on getting her set up on it and using it.

Any who. I'm flying back out next week for the original trip that my husband and I had planned to see my brother and my family. This is actually a working vacation, but when I get home the week after, I'll finally be home after having been away for three months.

On a side note. . .I packed summer clothing and took my non-heated tubing out to the West Coast thinking that it would be plenty warm enough to not worry about freezing and water finding its way up my nose. However, air-conditioning set at 65 inside the house makes things a little different. In the future, I'll not only check the weather for the time of year in whatever location I'm traveling to, but will have a heart to heart with the home owner before I leave. At least I'll be a little better prepared.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Almost done with traveling

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 am

Sounds like you had a rough trip. What's up with your mother returning the machines?

I know what it's like to travel with CPAP and it is hard to foresee what will happen on an extended trip. I especially worry about having my S9 Adapt machine break down or get lost/stolen while traveling. But that's life on the road.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 pm

I am the same. I have a Resmed S9 ASV and I worry about it being stolen or I need a part. Most likely I can look up on line and find one but lets face it when we travel we dont have a car most times and its not so easy.I shouldnt worry I have been travelling os with it for some years now and no trouble.I always have travel insurance.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Sounds like you had a rough trip. What's up with your mother returning the machines?

I know what it's like to travel with CPAP and it is hard to foresee what will happen on an extended trip. I especially worry about having my S9 Adapt machine break down or get lost/stolen while traveling. But that's life on the road.
Hi, Sir NoddinOff and Ozze_dollar

When my father passed away, liquid assets become somewhat precarious, so mom returned the machines mainly out of reacting to the death of my father and panicking over the 'what now?!' Things go really nutty after a spouse passes away - when you are the least able to really handle it due to the emotional loss.

I purchased her's back - and if she returns it, I'll put her over my knee. **laughing**

I bought a back up machine from SecondWind and use it for travel. I usually keep the bag packed with all the supplies so that all I have to do is grab it and go - one less bag to pack. . .lol and with as many trips and flights that I've had to make, lately, that's been a blessing. As far as something happening to it? When I travel people are really hesitant to even touch it. When I pull it out of the bag at the airport, people want space between my cpap machine and their stuff. . .weirdest thing. Guess it's a little germ machine or somethin'.