Does excercise worsen central apneas?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sheffey

Re: Does excercise worsen central apneas?

Post by Sheffey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:35 am

if I keep within my window of exercise tolerance ... then I don't seem to have many problems that night.
Instead of calling it "window of exercise tolerance", use accepted terminology.

Exercising to the point where it interferes with your sleep is "overtraining".

Overtraining is a very common problem. Physical trainers are very familiar with it and are taught to caution their students.
Sheffey

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
You have yet to mention how much time there is between your workouts and bedtime. This could be the biggest factor.
My sleep doctor says allow four hours. But this varies with individuals and the workout. For a heavy workout I need a six-hour gap before bedtime.

If I overtrain, no amount of time is enough to prevent poor sleep that night.
Sheffey

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 pm

---and yet a nice session of marital hijinks can lead to hours of excellent sleep, commencing within a few minutes.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 am

yes and no - Central Apnea with Cheyyne Stokes is due to heart failure and that will vary depending on the heart muscle. Weight training can actually help because the baroreceptors and co2 sensors get de-sensitized (my word). Running may not be helpful unless it's very mild walking - it all depends on the state of your heart muscle anyhow (sometimes just getting out of bed could be deemed exercise).

Snoring can trigger CSA because of ventilatory instability - there's a feedback loop involved. Sensible thing to do would be to exercise mildy and persistently and see how you feel. Exercise can help is pretty much guaranteed question really is how much of it is good and when does it become bad.

t0mkatt

Post by t0mkatt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Not that I can tell. I sleep a lot better on nights I've worked out.

It could be you're exercising too close to bedtime. All those endorphins and adrenaline could interfere with sleep if you're exercising and then going right to bed. I tend to exercise between 5 and 7 and then go to sleep around 11 and that works for me.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:51 pm

I stumbled upon an article about sleep apnea in patients with heart failure. It noted that
when these people did a cardio rehab program the number of centrals they had was reduced
about 50 % while the number of OSA apneas didn't change.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am

I train daily with heavy aerobic activity one day and weights the next. I had some down time due to a shoulder surgery and noticed or saw no difference.

Heated Hose
Dreamwear Nasal Mask

silver123

Post by silver123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 am

There are a number of responses to exercise. Exercise stimulates the adrenal gland to release adrenaline and non-adrenaline that directly affect the heart and the ability to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide. These hormones affect the sympathetic nervous system to stimulate the heart to beat stronger to increase stroke volume and to beat faster so that there is an overall increase in cardiac output. Working muscles need increased oxygen. During exercise the sympathetic nervous system increases constriction of the veins so that more blood is going back to heart carrying carbon dioxide. Cardiac stroke volume goes up ~ 30 - 40%. With that increase in demand for the exchange of O2 and CO2, the sympathetic nerves stimulate the respiratory muscles to increase your breathing rate. If your respiratory rate is 14, it may head toward 32, for example, so you are getting oxygen into your blood stream, through the heart and to the muscles.

There are a number of long term systemic responses in terms of physiological adaptation to respiration involving general overall efficiency in gathering, transporting and delivering oxygen. Long term cardiovascular efficiency and respiratory function are commonly measured by a VO2 max test, normally performed in a sports exercise lab. Training increases VO2 max over time. Aerobic exercise is normally performed in determined heart rate zones based on age and fitness.

Now, that is all well and good for aerobic exercise. Weight training is usually anaerobic in nature, using a different energy producing metabolic pathway in cells. The best combo is to do both with an emphasis on aerobic in the long run and not necessarily on the same day (though this is debated). It's also possible to make weight training more aerobic by doing longer sets of lower weights, without much rest between. Circuit training can be a good solution for this.

All in all, exercise should not cause issues with sleep apnea. As other have mentioned, time should be left between exercise and sleep. It's really important not to hold your breath during weight training and to stretch, particularly post exercise.
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
That's where the fruit is.
- H. Jackson Browne

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:35 am

silver123 wrote:There are a number of responses to exercise. <snip>
Thank you. That's an excellent description.

One question, do heirloom tomatoes taste so good because they have been bred for high sugar and moisture content?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 pm

xxyzx wrote:heirlooms were natural and not bred for anything
You are wrong. No one eats wild tomatoes. All tomatoes available commercially, including at local farmers markets, and all tomatoes grown in backyard gardens are domestic tomatoes which were bred from wild tomatoes over many generations.

Pimps (wild tomatoes) are very difficult to find alongside remote back roads of Peru. They are the size of peas, and if you were able to find some, you would have a difficult job to pick even a mouthful.

All domestic tomatoes, including heirlooms, have descended from pimps by careful, and often not so careful, breeding and selection. Even Native Americans isolated in remote regions of Peru plant and eat domestic tomatoes.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:00 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote: You are wrong. No one eats wild tomatoes.
Tomatoes grow wild in my backyard and sometimes the front, I do eat those tomatoes. In fact, I enjoy them as they grow more easily than things I try to plant.
Every heirloom variety is genetically unique and inherent in this uniqueness is an evolved resistance to pests and diseases and an adaptation to specific growing conditions and climates.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Guest wrote:Tomatoes grow wild in my backyard and sometimes the front, I do eat those tomatoes.
Those aren't wild tomatoes. Those are volunteer tomatoes. They came from the seeds of domestic tomatoes. The seeds could have been spread in bird or small mammal droppings or in compost you brought in.

Sounds like you enjoyed them.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Guest wrote:Tomatoes grow wild in my backyard and sometimes the front, I do eat those tomatoes.
Those aren't wild tomatoes. Those are volunteer tomatoes. They came from the seeds of domestic tomatoes. The seeds could have been spread in bird or small mammal droppings or in compost you brought in.

Sounds like you enjoyed them.
ChicagoGranny wrote:all tomatoes grown in backyard gardens are domestic tomatoes which were bred from wild tomatoes
they grow like weeds

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Guest wrote:they grow like weeds
Yep. Years ago, I heard a story about a NYC boy who moved to southern California. He bought a load of waste from the local municipal waste treatment facility and spread it on his front lawn. He wondered why his neighbors didn't use it instead of synthetic fertilizer. A few weeks later he knew - tomato plants began to sprout all over his lawn.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm

xxyzx wrote:
nothing i said is wron g

wild is not heirloom
heirloom is not wild

i can buy heirloom seeds
i can buy bred cultivated seeds
and i can buy hybrid seeds
dont know about buying wild seeds
or where to find wild tomatoes
but i sure would eat them as would many people
I would like to suggest,

http://www.wccnet.edu/academics/classes ... ENG%20050/

and

http://www.wccnet.edu/academics/classes ... PHL%20123/

Come back after completion for further instructions.