Respironics Nuance Pro/Nuance Mask Review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleeplessinaz

Re: Respironics Nuance Pro Mask Review

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Got my mask today. I ordered the nuance Pro - it is NICE! It has the nice gel pads built into the cheek straps and they are super soft. The small short tube that comes with it is really lightweight and looks really durable.

It came with all three pillow sizes too with the mediums already attached. I held them up to my nose and they are very, very soft and pliable. Seems way softer nasal pillows than my mask that I am using now called the Aloha.

Can't wait to try it out!! I have to wash it so,it probably won't be tonight. I am happy with the look of it and the side straps made from the gel will be perfect and won't stretch out of shape like the cloth. It came in a box with the Mask inside of its own cool packaging with the instructions included for proper fitting.

After a night to two - I will report back with my review. Thanks everyone,
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

jaybeem

Re: Respironics Nuance Pro/Nuance Mask Review

Post by jaybeem » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:07 am

I changed the subject to Respironics Nuance Pro/Nuance Mask Review.

I posted this elsewhere, but will post here again: One warning: Three weeks ago my DME could only provide me with the pillows that came with the mask. Medium pillow replacements are still back ordered. I am overdue for new pillows, and am angry that they passed out a mask for which I cannot get replacement pillows. Buyer be-aware.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:17 am

That's great jaybeem. Now both types of the mask can be reviewed in one thread.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 am

We rec'd the Nuance about 2 weeks ago from our Respironics supplier and so far most of the reviews have been pretty positive. Now I will say that these are mainly new cpap patients we are dealing with so they have nothing to compare it to. I did have one complaint from a long time cpap user that ordered the mask and he said that it was hard for him to put the mask back on during the middle of the night. Apparently he got up to go to the RR and when he returned he had a difficult time putting the gel pillows back in his nose. He said they were the correct size pillows etc.. He is a looong time cpap user and has tried several mask so this was a bit of a surprise. Any one else have this problem?
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 am

I tried mine for the first time last night. I had to adjust the straps a little tighter than I did with the Swift FX,
because the normal angle of the pillows doesn't quite match the angle of my nares.
I can see how the piggy nose happens, but it is slight, and I might be able to cinch the pillows angle together a little to solve that.
I like it well enough to keep it; and hubby wants to use it too, but with the medium pillows. (sorry, folks)
If he winds up using this one, I may have to get another for myself,
as my back strap will need to be taken in a bit to get the frame lower on my cheeks.
(why wasn't this adjustable? --designers have no smarts!)

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 am

I haven't had that problem yet and I am a long time cpap user (since 2002).

I have had that trouble sometimes with other masks in the past but, for a long time now, I have not taken my mask off if I get up to the RR during the night. I have quick release connecters on all my hoses and just disconnect the hose from the mask - go - come back to bed and hook the hose up to the mask again.

I rarely take my mask off in the night unless I wake and it is has become dislodged from my nares (have used nasal pillows for a long time). That doesn't happen very often either and, so far, not with the Nuance.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

My second night was as good as the first. This my new favorite mask!

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

Foggy1

Post by Foggy1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am

I used the Nuance Pro for the first time last night and I loved it! It is very, very comfortable. I got up once during the night, but had no trouble getting the mask back on quickly. I had no problem with it shifting out of place, whether sleeping on my back or on my side. Leaks were dramatically reduced (but then my usual is a nasal mask). I was able to keep the headgear adjusted loosely so that I was barely aware anything was on my face.

Note that per the instructions, when using the PR RemStar 60 series, the resistance setting for the Nuance Pro is X2. I had no problem with this setting.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 am

teachcsg wrote: I did have one complaint from a long time cpap user that ordered the mask and he said that it was hard for him to put the mask back on during the middle of the night. Apparently he got up to go to the RR and when he returned he had a difficult time putting the gel pillows back in his nose. He said they were the correct size pillows etc.. He is a looong time cpap user and has tried several mask so this was a bit of a surprise. Any one else have this problem?
I haven't had the need to get up in the night to go to the RR in so long I have forgotten what I would do.
I routinely put my mask on in the dark anyway. I will know tonight if it is a problem. If I did get up in the night I would just pull it over my head and not move any of the straps. If it is a problem for some people getting those nasal pillows back in then I would suggest just removing the mask at the short hose attachment to long hose and wear it to the bathroom avoiding any need to refit.
Full face mask users do this all the time.

I just got mine today and already have it set up for tonight. The side straps are a bit closer to my eyes than I would prefer but remember I have been using the Tap Pap since March and I haven't had any straps...so this doesn't really surprise me.
They probably aren't any closer than the other nasal pillow masks.

This is actually the first Respironics nasal pillow mask that looks doable for me. I hated the Optilife and couldn't get excited enough about the GoLife to spend the money to try it.

The Pad A Cheek Swift FX barrel cozy fits just fine. Probably will have to enlarge the little circle openings just a little bit to get the gel rim through but I had already done that since I had tried the barrel cozy with the Tap Pap barrel which does work but I think Karen said the Swift LT barrel cozy was a better fit on the Tap Pap barrel.

Having never used a Respironics nasal pillow mask for any length of time I have no idea how long these nasal pillows will last but from what I see I would be very surprised if I wasn't able to get months of use out of one nasal pillow. I just don't see the gel rim breaking down much but I could be wrong. Time will tell. Maybe I will use it for a period of time long enough to get an idea.
It's very possible that this mask will match up with the Swift FX in terms of my preferences. It's just so similar.....but given I still have that "less on my face" thing that I really like I don't see it knocking the Tap Pap out of first place.

The Nuance (either the cloth or gel version) is probably a good mask for a newbie to try. Especially since it seems like a lot of DMEs are opting not to stock ResMed masks because of costs.
I just imagine there will be more "lovers" than "haters". It's super lightweight. Hose is light and very flexible. The whole mask seems to be a little lighter than the Swift FX even with the new Nano hose attached. I got the Pro version myself. I will be real surprised if it isn't a "keeper" after tonight. I can usually tell real quick if I am going to like something well enough to keep it.

Oh...venting...it is a little softer than the Swift FX and the angle is different just a little. It goes maybe outward just a little more than the FX. On my back with similar head position the FX vent will hit my hands and the Nuance doesn't. I can make it hit my hands if I tuck my chin towards my chest (picture supine sleeping with hands up on my chest) a little more than with the FX but I don't sleep that way. It's hard on my neck to have chin tucked.
So the air being vented is not quite as forceful and the angle is a little different with the Nuance. Not a lot difference but a little difference and it may be something that someone feels is very important to them.
Vent noise or breathing noise itself...about the same near as I can tell. It's hard with a bilevel machine to judge actual venting noise because of the 2 pressures used. The PR S1 has a little bit more noise on inhale no matter what mask I use and the S9 had a little bit more noise on exhale. Neither one enough to be a deal maker or breaker though.

This will be the first time that I actually get a chance to use the official Resistance Control since this is the first time I have ever used a Respironics mask. Past experiments with it though...I couldn't tell it did much but I will test it in the off setting as well as the official setting just to make sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

OMG! That hose! It is the lightest, most flexible short hose I've ever seen!
The cross section is supported, but not as stiffly as others.
Hose management may be necessary for those likely to crush the hose. -like me!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I agree with the previous poster and I noticed the side straps are a little closer to your eyes- I noticed that right off. It's a great mask tho and I am all set to wear it tonight for the first time.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

jaybeem

Post by jaybeem » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I did have one complaint from a long time cpap user that ordered the mask and he said that it was hard for him to put the mask back on during the middle of the night.
I have been using it for three weeks and am always up at least twice in the night. I don't have any trouble putting it back on, even in the dark. Fit?

I still love the Nuance Pro. The quality of my sleep has improved enormously. I would never have imagined--given my near-perfect numbers--that a mask could make so much difference.

jaybeem

Post by jaybeem » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Cpap.com now has replacement pillows for the Nuance and Nuance Pro. Hope my DME has them soon, also.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 am

Well last night I couldn't get a good seal and there was some pain on my left side nostril where my cartilage has a thin covering of skin. I reverted to my FX for the night. I guess there is a little toughening up to do for this mask also. I still know it will work great with a little time.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 am

Quick review from last night as I am short on time.

It was "different" adjusting to having something on my face and head. I need to make a few little tweaks to the straps. Woke up a few times with little leaks (nothing big according to SleepyHead) and the straps are a little too close to my eyes but remember I have used nothing on my face or head since the first of March so I wasn't at all surprised by that fact.
So I need a tiny bit more strap adjustment.
The back strap..stuck like glue though.
I did have some cheek marks from the gel straps. Again not unexpected as I get them with any mask straps unless I add some Padacheek strap padding. My pillow is firm..and when I lay on my side or face...anything between the firmness of the pillow and my soft little cheeks...I get a mark...even a wrinkle in the pillowcase. So that isn't a big deal. It's a combination of my face and my firm pillow.

I need a few more nights with this mask...one reason being I didn't have the tension just right and the second reason is that I need to readjust to having "stuff" on my face.
It's very quiet though. That little short hose is super light and flexible. No problems with the nasal pillows themselves. I like the feel of the gel cushion. It isn't going to replace the Tap Pap (never really expected or even wanted it to) but I am pretty sure that this mask is a "keeper" in general. A nice "go to " different mask if needed for some reason. I like having options even if I don't use them.

I had a few wake ups with minor leaks..a few wake ups just noticing the "stuff" on my face...not unexpected given what I have grown accustomed to with the Tap Pap. Not horrible by any means and I know that those wake ups will reduce quickly as I get used to headgear in general.
Had a nice 1.55 AHI last night but I don't get excited too much about AHI numbers because mine tend to vary quite a bit from night to night just for general principle with no changes. I can go from less than 1.0 AHI one night and have 5.0 or higher the next night and never change a thing. Those times are rare with the higher AHI though..My overall average is a little less than 2.0.

So the pros...very quiet, super light weight and flexible short hose, the gel cushions are very comfortable. If they ever come out with an XSmall I might like to try one of those. I normally could use both the XSmall and Small with the other nasal pillow masks if they were available. I can pretty much plant my face in the bed pillow and not feel any discomfort. Side sleeping super comfy.

Cons..straps near my eyes would be my main con and a big part of that is simply the fact that I am not used to having anything there.
It probably isn't much closer (if any) than the Swift FX is/was.
The other part of the cons in regards to leaks and wake ups I am going to chalk up to the mask needing a little better job of tweaking the tension on the straps and my own need to sort of get used to having straps in general on my face.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.