Class action suit against Apria

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Class action suit against Apria

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 pm

If you live in California, you may have gotten notice of a class action suit against Apria known as Gerber v. Apria Healthcare Group, Inc.. Apparently Crapria recorded calls without consumer consent. Even by recording calls, they STILL couldn't get my orders straight.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Kiralynx

Re: Class action suit against Apria

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I wonder if it will spread....

And I'm not surprised they couldn't get the order right. It's been almost five years, and they have yet to get an order correct.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

thedot

Post by thedot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

so is this california class action legitimate? the card asks for soc sec numbers, etc, and i can't find anything about it googling....?

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:40 pm

This will make some lawyer rich and the affected people will each get $1.98.

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:42 pm

deerhound wrote:This will make some lawyer rich and the affected people will each get $1.98.
The class rep will also make some $$$.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Thedot has a point; wants to be sure the whole thing isn't a scam.
How to be safe and avoid identity theft.

ladyD

Post by ladyD » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

You can find more information about the lawsuit here on the Los Angeles Superior Court Website and search for Case No. BC476185. It does come up at legit.

MelissK

Post by MelissK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 pm

I was also got a squirrely feeling about the mail from Simpluris asking for my SSN after stating, in the letter, which included the last four digits of my SSN, that they couldn't verify my SSN with SSA. Calling the phone number in the letter did nothing to create any confidence in the request's legitimacy, nor did the fact that this case does not appear in their list of active cases on the website. So I blew it off.

I recently got another letter requesting a completed W9 form, I googled the CAL again, and found this thread. Taking LadyD's suggestion, I checked the LAC Superior Court website and found all the case docs and dates there:

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/civilcas ... mary.aspx?

So, it's real.

A year ago I got a CAL settlement from I forget which company. I want to see if the presumably low per-claimant net award amount from Apria can beat the $0.08 I got on the other one.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Hopefully the end result of this class action suit, beyond the two bucks we'll get in the mail, will be that Apria will tighten up their act. Maybe a few management heads need to roll, or at least give them a swift kick in the backside.

As I recall, this happened to Apria several years ago and all they did was splash all over their website how they "Put our interests first" and how they wanted "our input to make their services more effective". I filled out one of their questionnaires and told them just hire quality people and train them to know all the various machines, masks etc. To this day, I still have to explain what I want to the phone reps several times before it sinks in. Sometimes it's like talking to a five year old <sigh>

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Although, I have not experienced any major complaints with Apria. Sir's comments reminded me of how one Apria phone assistant, said upon taking my order, "Well, you'll need two pillows, one for each nostril". So I have lots of XS pillows to spare.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Kitatonic wrote:Although, I have not experienced any major complaints with Apria. Sir's comments reminded me of how one Apria phone assistant, said upon taking my order, "Well, you'll need two pillows, one for each nostril". So I have lots of XS pillows to spare.

rockyj

Post by rockyj » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Today is April 19, 2014. I received my part of the settlement. $1781.85.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 am

I never received any information regarding the class action suit- I feel fairly new to cpap, and wonder if it was mainly for people conducting business with Apria before a certain time period? before 2013?
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Scootergirl

Post by Scootergirl » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 am

I'm new and one of the few places I could find that handled CPAP was Apria. I'm in Northwest NJ and actually use their Bethlehem, PA office. Haven't had any issues yet, other than having to get a new RX to exchange the brick they first gave me. From what I've read here on the internets (so it must be true ) I haven't seen many DME's that have rave reviews - they all seem to be about the same. I know I tried to do most of my correspondence with them via email so I would have a written record of what transpired. I know I ordered filters for my unit and they were correct and arrived quickly.

MelissK

Post by MelissK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am

beautifuldreamer wrote:I never received any information regarding the class action suit- I feel fairly new to cpap, and wonder if it was mainly for people conducting business with Apria before a certain time period? before 2013?
It included only those Apria CPAP customers between 12/30/2010 and 07/23/2013 whose phone calls were recorded without notice by Apria. Apria has a record of the phone numbers of CPAP customers from which they received calls or to which they made calls.