Quattro Air

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Portageegal

Quattro Air

Post by Portageegal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:54 pm

I got my new Quatto Air FFM yesterday and so far am pleased with it. The headgear is more comfortable and the mask isn't as big and clumsy on my face. The flexible forehead piece is softer. The only thing I didn't like was the air vents. The vents are around the hose connection and air was blowing on my arm. I had to block it with the blanket, but it was still a pain. It is easy to take apart and clean also. I give it a B+.

Oldern

Re: Quattro Air

Post by Oldern » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:56 pm

My DME just mentioned this mask. Do you have any comments about leaks with this one compared with the other masks you have used? I've got to confront the leaks I'm experiencing and this is something I would consider.
Oldern

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I like the Quattro Air a great deal. I had problems with the Quattro FX cushion separating from the frame and getting leaks there. The Quattro Air has the best cushion design I have seen in that the plastic cup that covers your mouth and nose has the cushion permanently attached to it. The entire plastic cup is replaced when you need a new cushion. So there is no chance of leaks between the cushion and mask frame.

I do get some leaks between the mask and my face. I attribute that to my high pressures. But I feel that those leaks are less for me that with the Mirage Quattro which was my favorite mask prior to this.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:57 am

Please be careful when you "block" the mask vent. The mask vent is to remove the CO2 from the mask when you breath out during exhale. You could get into trouble real fast by blocking that sucker.

By the way, what were your leak rates like?

Sheriff

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't block the vent, just block the air from my arm which is bent up when my hands are under the pillow.
I don't keep track of numbers anymore. I was getting to crazy over it. I do get a slight leak under my bottom lip sometimes, but it is still better than my quattro.

old dude

Post by old dude » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm

STL Mark wrote:I like the Quattro Air a great deal. I had problems with the Quattro FX cushion separating from the frame and getting leaks there. The Quattro Air has the best cushion design I have seen in that the plastic cup that covers your mouth and nose has the cushion permanently attached to it. The entire plastic cup is replaced when you need a new cushion. So there is no chance of leaks between the cushion and mask frame.

I do get some leaks between the mask and my face. I attribute that to my high pressures. But I feel that those leaks are less for me that with the Mirage Quattro which was my favorite mask prior to this.
Mark, could I ask what your pressures are? Mine are down to 15/11 from 17/13 and I still have problems with the Quattro Air.

Biggest problem I have is that my mouth falls right out of the mask at the bottom. This is the only FFM I've tried that does that, and it's a size large.

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 pm

old dude wrote:Mark, could I ask what your pressures are? Mine are down to 15/11 from 17/13 and I still have problems with the Quattro Air.

Biggest problem I have is that my mouth falls right out of the mask at the bottom. This is the only FFM I've tried that does that, and it's a size large.
My titration pressure was 18. I hit the twenties most nights for some period of the night. I keep my current machine set where it can go up to its max of 25 if it thinks I need it.

The problem you describe regarding your bottom jaw slipping below the mask was a problem I had with one of the sizes of the Quattro FX. I jokingly referred to it as waking up trying to eat the mask. I believe the mask may be a bit small for you or at least does not work well with the curves of your face. Maybe your the guy the Quattro FX works great on...

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

old dude

Post by old dude » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:31 am

STL Mark wrote:
old dude wrote:Mark, could I ask what your pressures are? Mine are down to 15/11 from 17/13 and I still have problems with the Quattro Air.

My titration pressure was 18. I hit the twenties most nights for some period of the night. I keep my current machine set where it can go up to its max of 25 if it thinks I need it.

The problem you describe regarding your bottom jaw slipping below the mask was a problem I had with one of the sizes of the Quattro FX. I jokingly referred to it as waking up trying to eat the mask. I believe the mask may be a bit small for you or at least does not work well with the curves of your face. Maybe your the guy the Quattro FX works great on...
Exactly. It does seem to help if I over-tighten the lower strap a bit. I've often said I wish they made an XL in the Quattro Air, I'd by one in a flash!

I have a Quattro FX that I haven't spent much time with. Perhaps I need to give it another try.

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 am

I recently bought the Air ... Gave it six nights ... AHI went from 2-4 up to 10-12!

I could not get the bottom to seal very well on my beard, unless a tightened it down ... But worse of all was the eye leaks, air blowing into my eyes!

I have gone back to my Mirage Quattro ... For now ... The search continues ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

old dude

Post by old dude » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:50 am

123.Shawn T.W. wrote:I recently bought the Air ... Gave it six nights ... AHI went from 2-4 up to 10-12!

I could not get the bottom to seal very well on my beard, unless a tightened it down ... But worse of all was the eye leaks, air blowing into my eyes!

I have gone back to my Mirage Quattro ... For now ... The search continues ...
Do you know what your Large Leak percentage was with the Air?

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Not much time at all over 75 ... usually in the 45-55 range ... but even a little blowing in the corner of your eye is disturbing ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 am

I've had the Quattro Air since Aug. 20th. Last night was the first night I experienced multiple problems with it. I believe that the seal is starting to go. No air blowing into eyes but many, many mouth leaks. Last night I felt like the sides of the mask were pushing against my nose just about the nostrils. I'm not sure if this is what caused me to have congestion in both nostrils. Bad news for me: I took the mask off after 2 1/2 hrs of which most of the time I was awake. I couldn't get comfortable. Got up a few times to adjust it. I did the nightly sleep hygiene as always but last night was weird. I just couldn't get comfortable with the mask. I'm thinking that the cushion might be starting to go after less than 3 weeks. I hope not. I hope it's just a fluke since I really liked the mask for about two weeks and had good sleep for most of that time.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 am

Portageegal wrote:I don't block the vent, just block the air from my arm which is bent up when my hands are under the pillow.
I don't keep track of numbers anymore. I was getting to crazy over it. I do get a slight leak under my bottom lip sometimes, but it is still better than my quattro.
Just askin'... we had a newbie here once advised another newbie about placing tape over the mask vent... when I mentioned it, he barked back at me. The mask vent is a part of therapy you have to get used to. Some masks make more racket than others. Work all your issues here... we'll help you thru them.

Sheriff

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 pm

I started using the quattro air recenly. It is the sixth different style of mask I have owned. It is by far the best mask I have used. Easy to put on and take off. Comfortable to wear and very few leaks even at 19 mgH2O. Of course every face is different. At my pressure of 19 cmH2Lleaks show up fast. My DME thought it odd the number masks i was buying but they kept working with me. Once I found one that worked, I ordered two more in case they are changed or discontinued.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

old dude

Post by old dude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 am

MagsterMile wrote:I've had the Quattro Air since Aug. 20th. Last night was the first night I experienced multiple problems with it. I believe that the seal is starting to go. No air blowing into eyes but many, many mouth leaks. Last night I felt like the sides of the mask were pushing against my nose just about the nostrils. I'm not sure if this is what caused me to have congestion in both nostrils. Bad news for me: I took the mask off after 2 1/2 hrs of which most of the time I was awake. I couldn't get comfortable. Got up a few times to adjust it. I did the nightly sleep hygiene as always but last night was weird. I just couldn't get comfortable with the mask. I'm thinking that the cushion might be starting to go after less than 3 weeks. I hope not. I hope it's just a fluke since I really liked the mask for about two weeks and had good sleep for most of that time.
My Quattro Air has been used for exactly 17 nights, and last night I noticed that for the first time it was beginning to leak in a few places too. I'm very careful with the cushion and I disassemble the mask every morning and wash it with baby shampoo. I hope it doesn't turn out that the seal is the weak point of this mask. In spite of the fact that I could use an extra large, I still like it a lot. Oh yeah, and the top strap of the headgear was way too small for my head and wouldn't let the mask go down far enough. So after a failed experiment at cutting the top strap off I grafted on the headgear from a F-P Eson mask, which has an adjustable top strap. Bingo!