OT - My new hobby ...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JohnBFisher

Re: OT - My new hobby ...

Post by JohnBFisher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 pm

This painting is based on Falling Leaves 3 by Maria Balcells. She participates in Paint My Photo, which provides painters a wonderful source of reference photographs for paintings. ... I found this fall foliage scene rather striking. ... I hope you enjoy this rendition of the photograph.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 am

Wow, John! I'm so impressed with your multiple talents. Thanks for sharing.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:07 pm

If you follow my blog over at http://fisher-findings.blogspot.com/, you will see that I've been working on a urban sketch of a Honeymoon House which was taken by a photographer at Paint My Photo (or http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/).

This is the completed Honeymoon House painting. I added the lettering and a few small details. Working on the Fredrix Watercolor Canvas Board was an interesting, but pleasant experience. Fortunately, when I purchased the canvas board, I purchases several at a time. So, you will see more in the future.

Hope you enjoy. It's a different style. But then I seem to come out with unique and different styles with each painting.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

IrishSpike67

Post by IrishSpike67 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 am

I'm new to this board but posted a few things a couple months back... I was being pretty snarky and I think my posts got deleted! Haha!

Anyway, WOW, JohnB, your watercolor paintings are amazing! I've been creating art with Sharpie markers (Whew! Be sure to have a fan going or be near an open window otherwise your drawings can get a little trippy!) on heavy weight paper (and also drawing directly on our kitchen table!) and creating collages that are assembled by hand and then scanned into Photoshop. I love art! And I like talking to artists. JohnB, I really liked your aspen tree watercolor and the last one with the wooden boards? VERY nice!

If I wanted to post some of my stuff, how would I do that??!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 am

IrishSpike67 wrote:... If I wanted to post some of my stuff, how would I do that??! ...
You may need to make a few more posts before you are allowed (by the forum software) to add an image. I'm not sure if there's a limit.

Anyway, the trick is to post the image into a web based sharing site, such as PhotoBucket or Flickr or ... Once it's posted there, you use their "share" services to get the direct address. You then add the "[ img ] web-address.jpg [ /img ]" (removing the spaces in between the brackets) codes around the direct web address of the image. For example, the code and address of the Honeymoon House painting looks like the following:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/JohnBFisher/jbfArt/20131006_HoneymoonHouse_Web.jpg[/img]
Of course, I also add the URL link to my Blog entry for that painting:

Code: Select all

[url=http://fisher-findings.blogspot.com/2013/10/20131006-honeymoon-house-completed.html][img]http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/JohnBFisher/jbfArt/20131006_HoneymoonHouse_Web.jpg[/img][/url]
Hope that helps.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm

So, I finally got the time to start to put together the watercolor "canvas" using watercolor paper. Here's my write up on how to create a "canvas" made of watercolor paper.

http://fisher-findings.blogspot.com/201 ... -what.html

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:If you follow my blog over at http://fisher-findings.blogspot.com/, you will see that I've been working on a urban sketch of a Honeymoon House which was taken by a photographer at Paint My Photo (or http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/).

This is the completed Honeymoon House painting. I added the lettering and a few small details. Working on the Fredrix Watercolor Canvas Board was an interesting, but pleasant experience. Fortunately, when I purchased the canvas board, I purchases several at a time. So, you will see more in the future.

Hope you enjoy. It's a different style. But then I seem to come out with unique and different styles with each painting.

Oh, I really love this painting John. I am in awe of what you do.

49er

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Ready or not, here I come. This blog entry will go over the step by step process of completing the watercolor paper canvas.

http://fisher-findings.blogspot.com/201 ... anvas.html

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Today I completed a painting on the watercolor paper canvas that I created yesterday. This is a pen & ink with watercolor of a purple Clematis. It is based on the Clematis by Nicola B., who graciously uploaded it to the Paint My Photo website, where photographers share "reference photos for creating derivative Artwork without copyright worries."

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Sometimes it feels as if the painting takes on a life of its own! That's what happened today when I started to attempt a blue ridge mountain sunset. The colors just did not work out right. But I suddenly realized it looked more like a science fiction scene than it did a mountain landscape. And Voila! The Rainbow Dunes of Tanak were born.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm in the process of planning a new, larger painting. I will sometimes take the effort to initially sketch it in my sketchbook to see if I like the composition. Lots of times I move components around a bit. Then I might even do a larger study of the painting.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Here's another pen & ink with watercolor flower. ... With this flower, I decided to intentionally leave the leaf litter more of an impression than to shoot for realism. The intent is to show the flower as the primary focus (as it was in the camera) and having more substance than the background.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 pm

I oil painted years ago and my favorite was a candle in a brass holder that I painted in a dark room with the only light from the candle. It was my favorite. No one liked it but me so I threw it out. I should have kept it.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Stormynights wrote:I oil painted years ago and my favorite was a candle in a brass holder that I painted in a dark room with the only light from the candle. It was my favorite. No one liked it but me so I threw it out. I should have kept it.
We are often become our own most difficult critics. I agree, you should have kept it. Even if no one else liked it .. you did. And unless you are trying to make a living at art, you should be doing it for your enjoyment.

But then, don't do as I do ... since I've thrown away plenty of paintings!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:41 pm

So, here's the problem of the day. I decided to do a pen & ink with watercolor wash of a photograph that a friend shared. It's a photograph of a thistle flower with a bee on it. As you can see, it's a wonderful, striking photograph. ... Unlike most of my efforts, I actually think I like this one just as a pen & ink drawing - without any watercolor added. ... Oy! The dilemma!