Hairy Problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DEXSUZ

Hairy Problem

Post by DEXSUZ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Was awakened several times last night byair leaks from my Quattro FX mask. As a consequence, a rare sub-par sleep was the result.

Thought about it on and off today and finally realized what the cause of the leaks was. Endowed at age 63 with dark hair that entirely covers my scalp, I got a hair cut yesterday after not having had one for seven weeks. BINGO. The tonsorial venture removed just enough hair to throw off all four of my strap settings.

I've since tightened up the mask ever so slightly and this afternoon it was back to its good old tight seal.

Any of you ever have this experience? If not, does this strange occurrence sound plausible?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Hairy Problem

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Indeed! I went from a thick permed mid length to a textured (thinned) pixie.
There was enough hair on the floor to stuff a small pillow.
The new "do" felt wonderful, but I really had to take in those straps!

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 am

With all the strap fasteners moved in about 1/8", I hit the hay at 11 p.m. and arose at 7:30 a.m. No leaks.

Whooda thunk that a simple haircut would have to be taken into consideration when adjusting our beloved masks? I guess that this is where the follically-deprived and those with short hairstyles have the edge on us.

My hair grows fast and thick so one night down the road in late September I'm going to have to loosen those same straps.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:23 am

Think of the mask tension (adjustment) not on the strap, but on the face. For your mask, find out how the mask feels... leak-free. Don't tighten any more than that. A mask will leak if it is too tight. Some people refuse to accept that. Some mask straps will stretch over the lifetime of the mask. If the mask tension on my mask is correct when I start the cpap machine, the mask will "lift" off the face. If it doesn't, it's too tight.

Sheriff

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Indeed! I went from a thick permed mid length to a textured (thinned) pixie.
I wish I had the time and knowledge to fire up Photoshop and make an addition to your avatar.
jeff