Lower back pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozze_dollar

Lower back pain

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:27 am

Sorry I have not been posting lately but I was away OS for a while and when I came home I have had surgery on my lower back. I had a spinal fusion at L4/L5 with a anterior approach. Its been a month now since the operation and alas it doesnt look like I am going to get the result I was hoping for.Constant pain in lower back(2/10) making it hard for me to get a good nights sleep.I have been taking Targin but have stopped because it can be adictive.
On top of all that with spring approaching my sinus is a problem,

But hey...I am still here.

snoozysue

Re: Lower back pain

Post by snoozysue » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 am

Sorry to hear about your back problems - and yes sinus problems are definitely in the air today in Sydney!

woodworkerjunkie

Post by woodworkerjunkie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:27 am

Sorry to here that the surgery didn't go as well as you hoped. I have talked to over 2 dozen people that have had back surgery and none of them are happy with it. They all say that they have constant pain. I have degenerative disk in my lower back, but, will do everything I can before I let a Dr. cut on me. I can't hardly get out of bed some mornings and if I stand more than 10 or 15 minutes my right leg goes numb. I'll keep trying to do exercises for my back and hope for the best. I wish you the best, and hope the pain becomes manageable.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 am

I hope the best for you! I had back surgery and it was successful. Keep up the good fight! There are people here rooting for you!

Sheriff

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:32 am

Saw my surgeon this morning and he is still hopefull I will get a benefit from it. It may just take a bit longer. I have had a problem with falling asleep late in the afternoon and is causes me not to sleep well at night. I slept for 8 hours last night and it still happened this afternoon.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:28 am

Ozze: I wanted to also say that to me... a month is not long enough recovery time. Yes, you should start to feel better after a month, but I would say give it around 2 or 3 months. I've had 3 back surgeries and knee replacements, and for me.. one month is not enough recovery time. Keep up the fight!

Sheriff

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm

I sort of agree with the Sheriff to give it more time. Those fusions with hardware and screws are hard on the spine. I know about some who did it and it took up to 6 months (and more) for recovery.

I would take Zolpidem (generic Ambien) for sleep.

I myself have been successful in postponing a lower back surgery for some 40 years when I got a herniated L4-L5 disc after pulling a swing set stake out of the ground, the wrong way. I been using the CONSEREVATIVE APPROACH b/c I did not have to show up on a job promptly.

It consisted of:

1) Avoiding heavy lifting
2) If pain started after lifting then lie down for a day or two
3) Get a Steroid spinal injection
4) After a few days resume gym excersizes

My spine problems:

a) Spinal Stenosis
b) Discs Collapse
4) Spondylolisthesis

X-Rays of my lower spine. Notice the forward dislocation of L4 vertabrea:

There are new ways of treating your herniated disc which don't require fusion.