OT: First ocular migraine? Follow-up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaiasgram

OT: First ocular migraine? Follow-up

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 am

Hi guys -- I had a weird experience on Saturday evening, getting ready for bed, when suddenly I was seeing what looked like a swarm of fireflies dancing around in front of my eyes. I closed my eyes to see if it would stop, but it was still going on when I opened them. Except for the shock of it, it was kind of beautiful. Remembering that Pugsy last year had some visual flashers and we all pushed her to go to the doctor, I saw an opthamologist today. Based on the eye exam (normal) and my answers to his questions about the episode, he's thinking it was an ocular migraine. No headache, just the aura. This was actually the third episode in the past week or so, but the first two times were barely noticeable and lasted only a second or so, I didn't even register them. This third one Saturday lasted just long enough to start scaring me. I now need to have carotid artery ultrasound, scheduled for 1 p.m. today (Wed). I'm starting to feel anxious about the possibility of carotid artery stenosis which is what they need to rule out.

I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar experience. I have no history of migraines. Mostly I guess I'm just reaching out for a bit of support. I've had a lot of medical and personal stuff going on lately so my coping resources are stretched a bit thin right now.

Thanks!

Last edited by kaiasgram on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerSC

Re: OT: First ocular migraine?

Post by RogerSC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 am

Yes, I've been having similar migraines for years, rarely but on occasion. Usually there's some acute stress that brings it on. Mine typically involve losing parts of my field of vision, no headache per-se, sometimes some nausea to some degree just to keep things more interesting. From what I've heard, I just wait them out, they go away in an hour or so, and try to identify the source of stress and work on that. If I had them more frequently, I would be looking into it, but at maybe one or two a year, just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm glad you're checking into yours, though, if you're worried, especially if there are other things going on. I've been generally healthy, seldom get sick or feel bad. Sleep apnea is about the only major thing going on for me, although now that I'm taking care of that, I'm healthier than ever (low blood pressure, etc.).

Anyways, I"m sure that things will be fine for you. As I said, I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself!

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:43 am

I don't have them often but if I take a Tylenol as soon as it starts they go away quickly, otherwise the whole day is shot.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 am

I have had two ocular migraines. Both lasted an hour or two. I knew what they were due to a friend having them and describing them. I was not aware of anything else that could be wrong, so I never had any tests done. The first time, I was getting ready to eat dinner, and I couldn't see well enough to operate the microwave. I took a nap, and it was gone when I woke up. The second time, I just went ahead and took a nap, didn't even try to do anything. Both times, I happened to be at home, so the nap was an easy solution.

It has been a couple years since the second one. Nothing since.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:25 am

Been there, got the tee shirt. It happened to me while I was out for a walk. I suddenly noticed that the lower left quadrant of my vision was 'weird' ... sort of like the pixels were moving around. I also noticed that it was the same regardless of which eye I closed.

I went to the doctor to be sure it wasn't serious and was told that unless it suddenly starts happening repeatedly after never happening (or rarely happening) it was OK. I think I had a second one a year later, but that's it.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 am

I've had Ocular Migraines since I was about 20, about once a decade at first, then increasing to once or twice a year in my 60's. They manifest as sharp zigzag patterns, almost like a bizarro comic book background, covering about a quarter of my vision mostly on one side. Though not painful, there's a mild discomfort and disorientation that would make it difficult to drive at its peak. They last about an hour, usually I lie down and close my eyes during the peak 20 minutes. It feels like it should be stress related, but I've never been able to correlate them with an event. I tell my doctor and ophthalmologist about them and they say not to worry with this frequency.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:42 am

Though I have no experience with the symptom you describe I can't help but think that you being proactive with this and seeing a doctor so quickly is a very good thing! As we know around here - Procrastination and Denial have never cured/fixed anything, so you are a good example to those of us who struggle with taking the wrong route of procrastination and denial first

My thoughts and prayers will be with you today as you go to find out more about what you are experiencing and the process of ruling out possible causes. Hopefully it will be something minor and easy to take care of

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 am

I have them too and I am very happy my migraines shifted to being ocular. Mine start in the centre and the line of sparklies slowly move out of my field of vision. Some times I get a bit of a headache or some nausea/dizziness and confusion - just like a mild migraine with no pain. Mine are associated with allergies and/or weather systems.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

My first one happened while I was cutting a ladies hair. I am a hairstylist. I saw the sparkles and thought it strange but it wasn't really obstructing my vision so I kept working. Then the top half of her head was to the right and the bottom half was to the right. I had to get someone else to finish the haircut. It scared the crap out of me. I had a friend pick me up and drive me home. I wasn't able to drive with my vision like that. He told me it was just a migraine. I had migraines before but not like this. They are pretty rare but If I immediately take a tylenol and close my eyes as soon as the sparkles start it goes away really fast.

SusieG

Post by SusieG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 am

Have had these at least once or twice a year for a long time. Never have figured out what triggers them but my eye doctor says that they are harmless. Mine start as a small dot in the center of my vision, and then slowly slide out of my vision to the left. They can leave me with a slight headache but not for long. Creepy but I can live with it!

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am

CapnLoki wrote:I've had Ocular Migraines since I was about 20, about once a decade at first, then increasing to once or twice a year in my 60's. They manifest as sharp zigzag patterns, almost like a bizarro comic book background, covering about a quarter of my vision mostly on one side. Though not painful, there's a mild discomfort and disorientation that would make it difficult to drive at its peak. They last about an hour, usually I lie down and close my eyes during the peak 20 minutes. It feels like it should be stress related, but I've never been able to correlate them with an event. I tell my doctor and ophthalmologist about them and they say not to worry with this frequency.
Well, I'll be darned. Now, I have a name for the occasional zigzag pattern to my vision. I had blamed it on my diabetes. Used it as a good excuse to eat a chocolate bar. Always last about thirty minutes and affected both eyes.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 am

I get an ocular precursor that tells me I'm about to have a regular migraine.
There may be two different things being discussed here: the OP (kaiasgram) talked about fireflies, which may be a little different than an ocular migraine.

On the left side of the image below is what is commonly called "seeing stars". It happens sometimes when you cough very hard, or if you knock your head or even if you just get up or kneel down too fast.

On the right side of the image below is a common portrayal of ocular migraine - triangles of sparkly moving light that radiate out from some center. It can be on one side (as shown below) or in both eyes, somewhere near the edge of your vision. There may be some other variety, but these are two different phenomena.

(I used a rubber ducky as background for perspective in the image. Stars tend to be bright and very noticeable. Ocular migraines can pass almost unnoticed if they are not very bright.)

@kaiasgram, if you're experiencing seeing stars, it may be something different than an ocular migraine.

old one lurking

Post by old one lurking » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 am

Mine are triggered by stress and last 15-25 minutes....no headache. I used to have hormonal migraines ocassionally before menopause.

ems

Post by ems » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

Hi K... looking forward to an update from you after you've seen the doctor.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Bons

Post by Bons » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm

I never have pain with my ocular migraines. Usually there is a blur spot (like when faces are scaled out on television shots) or a missing segment, and then a chain of brightly colored (usually blue and red) triangles. I've learned that all I can really do is sit back and enjoy the light show.