What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm

SleepyCPAP wrote:
DreamDiver wrote:
# We pay more for an auto, yet the only difference is firmware?
# Auto's can be set to be straight CPAP.
# From a machine creator's standpoint, it makes sense to collapse all of them into one model: Auto.
The schematics I saw a couple years ago showed a "Pressureless Therapy Board" which covered models 150 and 250 (the "bricks"). I figure they can save their money and drop that line. I also found the schematics for a different circuit board which covered the 450, 550, 650, and 750. I don't claim to know that firmware would be the only difference between those four full-data machines (perhaps the blower motors are different between the PAPs and the BiPAPs?), but yes, I'm guessing PRS1 APAP purchasers paid more for the firmware to have their APAP, compared to my CPAP. We thought we were buying different hardware these past three years with the System One, and are now asking in this wish list that they just make one set of hardware in the future. Philips is doing that right now: similar outer cases and similar machine innards (although one board for their non-data machines, a different one for full-data machines, and probably a third special set for ASV).

That's why I like the suggestion for the ability to buy the machine, and then get the firmware you want. That would be a cool feature for the new models.

Note:I do not work for any CPAP company, I'm just a CPAP user obsessed with technology and relentless in my web searches, and yet I can't get to those schematics on the web again. (Philips must have closed their back door to the tech site sometime in the past two years, now it says "access has been disabled").

--SleepyCPAP
It's been going on for much longer.
Back in 2005, Resmed had an upgrade kit that would upgrade the S7 Elite to and AutoSet Spirit. This is from CPAP(dot)COM's price list from that year.

$289.00 S7 Elite to AutoSet Spirit Upgrade Software

Respironics used the exact same PCA (motherboard) in their Auto w/C-Flex and Pro 2 from that same year. The only difference was the installed firmware. If you open up a Pro 2, one of the chips on the PCA says "Auto C-Flex Domestic".

Den

concerned_sister

Post by concerned_sister » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
concerned_sister wrote:I want smart phone app capability so that when the mask is taken off, the machine is restarted, or there is a high leak, I could get an alarm/notification on my smart phone, rather then checking all night. Especially helpful for all the parents/caregivers out there that are going with almost no sleep with all this checking!
Awesome idea. Added to list.
I would be happy to test run anything with this ability Oh the sleep we could get, lol!

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 pm

sewsleepy wrote:HEPA filter.
Ability to switch machine's lights off.
Humidifier tank that is easy to clean, maybe even dishwasher safe.
All System One humidifier chambers are dishwasher safe.
Unlike ResMed tanks, there isn't a special dishwasher-safe version.
jeff

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

From what I've read in other threads, the availablity of an activated-charcoal
odor-absorbing filter would be welcome. It would probably have to be larger
than most existing filters in order to be effective over time.
jeff

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 am

Hose_Head wrote:Wow. Just found this thread.

I've read through the list of "wants" provided by others and I'm surprised that nobody seems to have said anything about a travel xpap. I'd really like the next generation to be smaller and lighter. 70% of the size and weight of the current generation would be a good target. In doing so, why not minimize the size of the humidifier and maybe have two different sizes of tanks, with one offering minimal capacity and designed for travel and the other being much larger capacity but to be left at home.

Another feature useful for those of us who travel would be a built in travel alarm. The xpap already has a clock so an alarm function would not be difficult or expensive to implement and would help reduce the clutter of small items that we already have to remember to pack.

I travel at least once a month. Last year, I had 16 trips with at least one night in a hotel. One trip was almost 3 weeks with multiple hotels. I take my Resmed S9 autoset, and it travels quite well. I don't see any problems with it travel wise. Also, if I get 8-9 hours of sleep, I can use almost a full tank of water. So, I would never consider a smaller tank.

As for clock, I see a lot of people asking for one, but I would never use it. I keep my cpap machine below the level of my bed, where I can't see it. I need a clock I can see. Also, I use a snooze alarm as using an alarm means I have to get up during a time that would normally be deep sleep for me. The last thing I want to do is have a machine with buttons that operate more than one thing. In other words, if I wake up with a leaky mask or need to use the bathroom, I don't want to accidentally disable the alarm clock. I used to have a clock that could have the time changed by a button on the top. I would hit the snooze and change the time at the same time, thus disabling the alarm. I would wake up hours later only to discover that I missed my first 2 classes. I had to make a cover for the clock so that I could not touch those buttons, except on purpose.

Now, what I would like to have on a newer machine. An alarm that could be turned on or off, with a time frame where it detects snores when the air is NOT blowing. In other words, if I take the mask off in my sleep (and I turn the air off too), the machine will pick up my snoring and set off an alarm. I could set it for my sleep hours, and it could alert me when I am failing to use it. I would love this feature. Those people with partners (or pets) who snore, could simply deactivate this feature.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

concerned_sister wrote:I would be happy to test run anything with this ability Oh the sleep we could get, lol!
I hope you're getting to rotate your patient advocacy duties with other people in your family. On an airplane, you make sure your oxygen mask is on first -- then you help your child. It's pretty much the same with patient advocacy. It is important that you remain healthy so you can give your best effort.
jdm2857 wrote:...All System One humidifier chambers are dishwasher safe.
Unlike ResMed tanks, there isn't a special dishwasher-safe version.
Good to know. Also, the six-month disposable S9 tank can be pried apart carefully and safely dishwashered on the top rack. (Yes, I verbed.)
jdm2857 wrote:...activated-charcoal odor-absorbing filter ... larger than most existing filters in order to be effective over time.
I'm guessing this would involve some kind of intake attachment almost as large as the machine itself to prefilter a large enough volume of air that it doesn't impede air flow before it gets to the blower. Refillable, dust-free... Anything smaller like a sponge the size of a filter pad would only be a night-or-two nod in the direction of charcoal absorption. It might be difficult to make it travel-worthy, but for some of the more densly=populated places we go, even indoor air quality can be unhealthy.
zoocrewphoto wrote:... I would never consider a smaller tank.
... if I wake up with a leaky mask or need to use the bathroom, I don't want to accidentally disable the alarm clock. ...
... if I take the mask off in my sleep (and I turn the air off too), the machine will pick up my snoring and set off an alarm. I could set it for my sleep hours, and it could alert me when I am failing to use it. I would love this feature. Those people with partners (or pets) who snore, could simply deactivate this feature.
Thanks for the feedback from a seasoned travel veteran about tank size and alarm clocks on CPAP. I wonder if it might be an option people can choose to use or not. For now, I'll put a [Thumb Down] next to it in the list. It might be nice to hear more about whether an alarm clock option is worthwhile from others.

I guess we can't all have an Apnea support dog, like JohnBFisher's that wakes him up when he snores on the sofa. I'm not sure how they could accomplish mask-off snore detection without an external mic near your head, but it's certainly list-worthy. It might be useful for detecting masks that are face farting loudly too.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 am

DreamDiver wrote:
concerned_sister wrote:I would be happy to test run anything with this ability Oh the sleep we could get, lol!
I hope you're getting to rotate your patient advocacy duties with other people in your family. On an airplane, you make sure your oxygen mask is on first -- then you help your child. It's pretty much the same with patient advocacy. It is important that you remain healthy so you can give your best effort.
This is a good point! Unfortunately there's only two of us (my husband and myself), and I'm a college student, so we switch on and off as we can, but no other family near us so a bit of a stretch. Hopefully more sleep will be had all around soon

concerned_sister

Post by concerned_sister » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 am

^ Oops, wasn't logged on for that one

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 pm

DreamDiver wrote:Also, the six-month disposable S9 tank can be pried apart carefully and safely dishwashered on the top rack.
ResMed does in fact make a "dishwasher safe" water tank.

But, the so called "disposable non-dishwasher safe" water tank now also comes apart the same way as the "dishwasher safe" water tank. You no longer have to pry it apart carefully.

And, I do wash BOTH types of ResMed water tanks on the top rack of the dishwasher. In an abundance of caution, I do not put the part that has the gasket in the dishwasher - but some people do that withOUT consequence.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote:... I do wash BOTH types of ResMed water tanks on the top rack of the dishwasher. In an abundance of caution, I do not put the part that has the gasket in the dishwasher - but some people do that withOUT consequence.
You're right, StuUnderPressure. Sorry I wasn't clear.
My machine came with the disposable. I bought an extra reusable. I wash everything except the translucent outer carriage because it looks like a kind of plastic that would warp and melt in hot water, the way some disposable deli containers do. The gasket part seems to suffer no ill effects from dishwashering. Can I assume you have had no trouble with the outer translucent carrier?

(Subliminal message: It only takes one more person using it to confirm "dishwashering" as a viable english word... come on. You know you want to use it in a sentence... )

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:53 pm

DreamDiver wrote: The gasket part seems to suffer no ill effects from dishwashering. Can I assume you have had no trouble with the outer translucent carrier?

(Subliminal message: It only takes one more person using it to confirm "dishwashering" as a viable english word... come on. You know you want to use it in a sentence... )
I have been "dishwashering" every part of both tanks EXCEPT the parts that have the gasket on them. On the "dishwasher safe" water tank that is a separate piece that only has the gasket on it. On the "disposable" water tank that is the top cover.

I haven't had any trouble with the "outer translucent carrier" - but then, I really canNOT picture which part you are talking about. But since no other parts get left out (except the 2 I mentioned), I guess I AM "dishwashering" the "outer translucent carrier".

OK, now I have said it twice.
Dishwashering is now a viable English word.
When can I expect to see it in the dictionary?

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am

http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/Pri ... d=36784426
(found this on the apneaboard)
Michael Matson - Mizuho Securities: Can you give us any timing around new platform launches on the flow generator side, I guess S9 II or S10?

Peter C. Farrell - Founder, Chairman and CEO: We are working on those. I don't know – I'll throw that to Don Darkin. Normally, we don't – we'll let you know when we are launching. So making predictions there is not what we are normally into, just like we don't make too many predictions. I do but most of the others don't. Don, do you want to say anything?

Don Darkin - President, SDB Strategic Business Unit: The platform is well underway, but at this point, assume that's where we're at.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Interesting thread.

I've started to travel a bit more for work recently. I now wish I had a machine with all the positives of my PRS1 Series 60 Auto-CPAP (relatively quiet, built like a tank, generates good data) but in a smaller package. I don't want to have to have a -separate- travel machine, primarily because I like to have consolidated data. Perhaps if I could mesh together data from two different machines, I'd be OK with two machines. Anyway, perhaps a machine laid our more like the Intellipap, with the humidifier on the bottom would allow for a larger water tank to be used at home, but a smaller one to be used on the road. I'm rarely in the same hotel more than two nights, and I rarely use much water in my humidifier each night.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/devil ... tflex.html

I also want a better process for opening up the CPAP bag for inspection for TSA. Or better, yet, have them not make me open the bag and move the hose so they can see the machine. I'd love to put the CPAP in my carry-on bag, but I'm afraid with all the gate-checking I have to do when riding in Commuter Jets, it would get damaged.

Separately (and this would not require new machines) I wish the Encore Basic software were better. Sleepyhead is a nice option but it isn't better in the ways that I'm most interested in (better User Interface, and better data visualization tools).

John