What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 pm

All these suggestions are great, but, if some company adds these to their CPAPS, be prepared for the prices to double. This is for health...not recreation. Personally I have been happy with my brick for almost 5 years. I recently got a S9 autoset so I could monitor my data. I did that for a month and now I use the S9 almost like my brick. I glance at the LCD screen to see if I had a bad night, but as long as my AHI stays in the 2-4 bracket...I'm happy. I haven't used the SD card since the first month.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:28 pm

I hear you, but it sure makes sense to have data available if you start having problems with your therapy.
And the difference in cost is small.
jeff

allen476

Post by allen476 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 pm

DreamDiver wrote: Do you mean the O2 concentrator should plug directly into the box instead of a canula on the mask or in the hose? That could be good too. It would reduce line clutter to the hands and face. Are there reasons why makers would not want that to be done?
What do you mean by "built-in port with entrainment valve"? I understand our masks usually have exhalation ports or entrainment valves for the preferred leak levels. What's different about what you're asking for in the next-gen S10 or PRS2, or a mask for the same?
If you can imagine an interconnect system like a climateline hose but going from the o2 concentrator to the cpap. The cpap could have a small relay that tells the concentrator to turn on. The hose can be smaller and the electrical connections contained within (like a climateline hose). Then No need to turn on everything separate. Also the o2 that is residual would be vented through the concentrator by using an internal valve that closes when off if there is o2 hooked to it.

It would eliminate a lot of headaches especially when one has a climateline hose. I haven't wanted to upgrade to a new Bi-pap with climateline only because it would be a real pain to have to run the o2 to the mask.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:17 pm

allen476 wrote:... It would eliminate a lot of headaches especially when one has a climateline hose. I haven't wanted to upgrade to a new Bi-pap with climateline only because it would be a real pain to have to run the o2 to the mask.
They make a climateline hose with O2 port now. Score! Well, at least it's a beginning, eh? I get what you're saying - more integrated - one switch, just like the humidifier. I'm definitely adding this one to the list.

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Still need to make the machines quieter. This would help differentiate these more expensive machines.

Some of what I asked for has now been showing up. A couple years ago I'd said I was waiting to hear "There's an app for that!" The app isn't great yet, and does not offer what I need to see (so I am not downloading it or buying the fancy bluetooth unit) but at least they are trying. System One machines now show what they call one-day numbers (again, not quite worked out right, but getting there). AutoIQ is not a bad bonus for a straight CPAP, and provides a possible solution to "what if I need to find a new setting down the road?" type questions that used to be out there for us straight-pressure folks. That's a nice advance on the idea that the machine is fully capable anyway, so here is a way to tap the APAP side. Maybe what forum members here want is a firmware upgrade option -- if you are stuck with a 460 and want to upgrade to full-Auto (560) it can be done.

We have enough comfort settings -- how many humidification settings are there now on System One machines?!

Encore is a pain and needs improvement -- I have to load the cards' data each day in order to get the waveform (thank you SleepyHead for being there, so I don't have to be stuck with Encore).

I'd still like a "ramp" phase-in time for Cflex+, as I can't go to sleep with it but I can deal with it when asleep (if that makes sense). And the ability to change the settings while the machine is on (including being able to turn Cflex off).

System One needs to ditch "% of night in Large Leak" for better leak data on screen.

Maybe add a "pay attention" alert -- for the patient and provider to know something has changed in the effectiveness of therapy?

Not a machine issue, but it affects the way machines are marketed and developed -- A philosophical shift is needed: Right now I feel as if everyone (outside this forum) is focused on "at least four hours of use each night" instead of figuring out optimal therapy.

Since we're just talking about S10 and PRS2 dreaming, I'll suggest that they can drop their bricks from the product line-up. Right now I could buy a 3B brand CPAP with humidifier on sale for less than $200 which shows AHI on the screen. If I were a DME I'd stop carrying S9 and PRS1 low level machines currently available. The S10 and PRS2 bricks will not be competitive. I'm thinking they are going to need studies to show why breath-by-breath waveforms and the extras of their full-data machines are worth it. We'll know it on this forum, but will doctors? (Back to the "philosophical shift that is needed" point).

Would you AutoPAP users like a sleeping position sensor? I'm thinking about how the iPhone knows which way the screen is tilted, except the AutoPAP would know "he's just rolled on his back, mark the charts and prepare for a pressure increase!" I'd love to set my CPAP to back off the pressure any time I'm on my right side, so it stops filling my stomach with air (I remember from my sleep study I don't need as much pressure on my side to eliminate events).

--SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:36 am

SleepyCPAP wrote:... AutoIQ is not a bad bonus for a straight CPAP, and provides a possible solution to "what if I need to find a new setting down the road?" type questions that used to be out there for us straight-pressure folks.
Not a machine issue, but it affects the way machines are marketed and developed -- A philosophical shift is needed: Right now I feel as if everyone (outside this forum) is focused on "at least four hours of use each night" instead of figuring out optimal therapy.

Since we're just talking about S10 and PRS2 dreaming, I'll suggest that they can drop their bricks from the product line-up. Right now I could buy a 3B brand CPAP with humidifier on sale for less than $200 which shows AHI on the screen. If I were a DME I'd stop carrying S9 and PRS1 low level machines currently available. The S10 and PRS2 bricks will not be competitive. I'm thinking they are going to need studies to show why breath-by-breath waveforms and the extras of their full-data machines are worth it. We'll know it on this forum, but will doctors? ...
You've brought up some big-picture considerations beyond mere model improvements. That's great.

I'm not sure I agree with AutoIQ as a bonus for a number of reasons:
  • The AutoIQ has to have in it the same capabilities as an Auto. The manufacturer sells the same product with different firmware for a lower price. That means there is not a whole lot of difference between machines - maybe just firmware, and a label.
  • We pay more for an auto, yet the only difference is firmware?
  • Auto's can be set to be straight CPAP.
  • From a machine creator's standpoint, it makes sense to collapse all of them into one model: Auto.
  • Type 1 Diabetics have to learn how to dispense the proper amount of insulin on demand for themselves. Likewise, CPAP users should learn how to properly titrate themselves. We shouldn't have to keep going back to the doctor to learn what our settings are. This is probably easier than figuring out an insulin dose. Why shouldn't most people with a modicum of intelligence self-titrate with an auto?
Four hours and optimal therapy - that sounds like a great start for another thread, especially considering segmented sleep theory.

As for high-rate-data-capable machines, doctors like data. I think they would squawk if it were taken away, now that the capability is available. A sleep doc or a sleep tech can probably tell more from our data than we can. Certainly data-free bricks have their place, especially for people who want a care-free, simple machine and are getting reasonable therapy.

And I'm on the fence about giving my long-term sleep data to a website owned by the company that manufactures the machine. I have no idea how long the website is going to be operating or how secure it is. Remember the Zeo? The myZeo.com website is a perfect example of that. Try signing in from here. It's just gone. I like my data local, when I can have it that way.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Wow. Just found this thread.

I've read through the list of "wants" provided by others and I'm surprised that nobody seems to have said anything about a travel xpap. I'd really like the next generation to be smaller and lighter. 70% of the size and weight of the current generation would be a good target. In doing so, why not minimize the size of the humidifier and maybe have two different sizes of tanks, with one offering minimal capacity and designed for travel and the other being much larger capacity but to be left at home.

Another feature useful for those of us who travel would be a built in travel alarm. The xpap already has a clock so an alarm function would not be difficult or expensive to implement and would help reduce the clutter of small items that we already have to remember to pack.

A much better travel carry case. I've posted on this subject before. We need better, more secure and padded carry cases, with more pockets inside to make room for organized transport of the various bits and pieces.

Another must in my list (mentioned by others) is a system to hold filters in place much more securely than at present. This is an obvious design flaw in the current PRS1 (can't speak about the Resmed machines because I've never used the current model).

Also mentioned by others: an attention getter light to tell the user when something's changed in therapy settings. For those of us who do not routinely look at our data, such a light could be very useful.

Package Sleepy-Head software with every unit sold. Also provide a URL to this forum!
I'm workin' on it.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:14 pm

I would like the ability to update the firmware myself.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Hose_Head wrote:... Another must in my list (mentioned by others) is a system to hold filters in place much more securely than at present. This is an obvious design flaw in the current PRS1 ...
Also mentioned by others: an attention getter light to tell the user when something's changed in therapy settings. For those of us who do not routinely look at our data, such a light could be very useful.

Package Sleepy-Head software with every unit sold. Also provide a URL to this forum!
I've added your list too. I'm listing redundant list items as [Popular] in existing lists.

SleepyHead prepackaged... That would be the day, eh? Still, it is far better than Encore Viewer for days that you have full data.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Stormynights wrote:I would like the ability to update the firmware myself.
Got it. It's been marked as [Popular] under SleepyCPAP's list.

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 pm

HEPA filter.
Ability to switch machine's lights off.
Humidifier tank that is easy to clean, maybe even dishwasher safe.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

concerned_sister

Post by concerned_sister » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 pm

I want smart phone app capability so that when the mask is taken off, the machine is restarted, or there is a high leak, I could get an alarm/notification on my smart phone, rather then checking all night. Especially helpful for all the parents/caregivers out there that are going with almost no sleep with all this checking!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 pm

concerned_sister wrote:I want smart phone app capability so that when the mask is taken off, the machine is restarted, or there is a high leak, I could get an alarm/notification on my smart phone, rather then checking all night. Especially helpful for all the parents/caregivers out there that are going with almost no sleep with all this checking!
Awesome idea. Added to list.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 pm

sewsleepy wrote:HEPA filter.
Ability to switch machine's lights off.
Humidifier tank that is easy to clean, maybe even dishwasher safe.
I know there are in-line bacterial filters that are supposed to be HEPA, but they're certainly unwieldy. The S9 has a dishwasher safe tank. That may be something that could be designed for the PRS1.
I'm going to add these to a PRS1 list, and add [Popular] to the existing light dimming/on/off section.

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
# We pay more for an auto, yet the only difference is firmware?
# Auto's can be set to be straight CPAP.
# From a machine creator's standpoint, it makes sense to collapse all of them into one model: Auto.
The schematics I saw a couple years ago showed a "Pressureless Therapy Board" which covered models 150 and 250 (the "bricks"). I figure they can save their money and drop that line. I also found the schematics for a different circuit board which covered the 450, 550, 650, and 750. I don't claim to know that firmware would be the only difference between those four full-data machines (perhaps the blower motors are different between the PAPs and the BiPAPs?), but yes, I'm guessing PRS1 APAP purchasers paid more for the firmware to have their APAP, compared to my CPAP. We thought we were buying different hardware these past three years with the System One, and are now asking in this wish list that they just make one set of hardware in the future. Philips is doing that right now: similar outer cases and similar machine innards (although one board for their non-data machines, a different one for full-data machines, and probably a third special set for ASV).

That's why I like the suggestion for the ability to buy the machine, and then get the firmware you want. That would be a cool feature for the new models.

Note:I do not work for any CPAP company, I'm just a CPAP user obsessed with technology and relentless in my web searches, and yet I can't get to those schematics on the web again. (Philips must have closed their back door to the tech site sometime in the past two years, now it says "access has been disabled").

--SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI