Anyone need to sleep in a recliner?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ellen1159

Anyone need to sleep in a recliner?

Post by ellen1159 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 am

Sometimes this feels like a game of Whack-a-Mole: you no sooner find a solution to one CPAP therapy issue than another pops up. I may be able to use the Wisp nasal mask, if I am able to solve the chipmunk cheeks dilemma (working on it). But when I tried to sleep on my side, I just couldn't find a comfortable position that didn't result in leaks. If I found a position that stopped the leaks, then the mask straps were pushing into my head and too uncomfortable to allow me to fall asleep. And this is with regular pillows and a fancy $60 pillow with cutouts for the mask that I bought online - my neck is so short that the cutouts are too high to accomodate the sides of the mask!

On my back with four pillows was reasonably comfortable but I couldnt' really get my head and neck aligned in a way that allowed me to fall asleep. I just bought a used recliner and I'm going to try to nap in it today (maybe fall asleep in front of tv). I've never been able to sleep on my back but the recliner is so comfortable that I think I might.

anyone else have this problem when they started out?

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

nanwilson

Re: Anyone need to sleep in a recliner?

Post by nanwilson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:33 am

ellen1159 wrote:Sometimes this feels like a game of Whack-a-Mole: you no sooner find a solution to one CPAP therapy issue than another pops up. I may be able to use the Wisp nasal mask, if I am able to solve the chipmunk cheeks dilemma (working on it). But when I tried to sleep on my side, I just couldn't find a comfortable position that didn't result in leaks. If I found a position that stopped the leaks, then the mask straps were pushing into my head and too uncomfortable to allow me to fall asleep. And this is with regular pillows and a fancy $60 pillow with cutouts for the mask that I bought online - my neck is so short that the cutouts are too high to accomodate the sides of the mask!

On my back with four pillows was reasonably comfortable but I couldnt' really get my head and neck aligned in a way that allowed me to fall asleep. I just bought a used recliner and I'm going to try to nap in it today (maybe fall asleep in front of tv). I've never been able to sleep on my back but the recliner is so comfortable that I think I might.

anyone else have this problem when they started out?
Have you tried raising the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches?
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:50 pm

I had the same problem adjusting to the Swift FX mask. Fortunately I have an adjustable bed & eventually got used to sleeping on my back with the head & legs raised. Quite comfy, and a lot like a recliner. When I stay the night at my brother's house, I always sleep on his recliner. I much prefer it to a flat bed.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 pm

No I didn't think of that! I just took a short nap in the recliner and its not as comfortable as the bed, especially when I'm accustomed to sleeping on my side.

(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

ddk

Post by ddk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 pm

I must admit that I've thought about doing this myself. For a brief period I tried something similar to what you did with the extra pillows (I used couch cushions) and I definitely breathed easier but got a sore neck and back as I couldn't twist around and so was 'stuck' in the one position all night.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Ellen,

I use a regular pillow with the Swift FX, but I just put part of my head (from the ears back) on the pillow, lying on my left side. It's comfortable and I don't have leaks or issues with headgear. I bought a special fleece 'over the head' cover from Padacheek for the headgear and also her barrel cozy for the pillows; it's softness everywhere, I never feel the straps at all.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

RandyJ wrote:Ellen,

I use a regular pillow with the Swift FX, but I just put part of my head (from the ears back) on the pillow, lying on my left side. It's comfortable and I don't have leaks or issues with headgear. I bought a special fleece 'over the head' cover from Padacheek for the headgear and also her barrel cozy for the pillows; it's softness everywhere, I never feel the straps at all.
I think I"m going to have to do the same: custom CPAP pillow doesn't fit my head/neck measurements. I don't use pillows but the cover for the headgear might help thanks for the suggestion.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 pm

I usually sleep in a recliner. It feels better for my back, and avoids the problems of sleeping on my side, rolling over, etc. vs. CPAP mask.

It took some experimenting to find the right recliner to feel good on my back. Big overstuffed ones don't seem to support as well. The less luxurious ones seem to give better support. Avoid puffy arms, they feel too hot when sleeping. I have one of the cheaper La-z-boy recliners.

I have a back support pillow thing made for office chairs and one of those horse collar style neck pillows filled with buckwheat hulls.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.