dry, dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tcher49

dry, dry mouth

Post by tcher49 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:10 am

I have been using the CPAP for two weeks, and occasionally wake with a mouth dry as paper. My tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth, and my lips are fused. What's going on? Am I opening my mouth during sleep? Also, when I use the humidifier I get moisture in the mask, which wakes me. I have tried adjusting the humidifier, but it happens frequently. I'm still not sleeping through the night, and am getting frustrated!

Barnaby

Post by Barnaby » Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 am

I went thru that phase too. I changed to a APAP and got a cover around the hose from my supplier and all is well now.

"He's not heavy..he is my brother" - Shriners Creed

Re: dry, dry mouth

Post by Guest » Mon May 08, 2006 12:18 pm

tcher49 wrote:What's going on? Am I opening my mouth during sleep? Also, when I use the humidifier I get moisture in the mask, which wakes me. I have tried adjusting the humidifier, but it happens frequently. I'm still not sleeping through the night, and am getting frustrated!
Yes, assuming you wear a nasal mask (not a full face mask) you're probably opening your mouth during sleep. I remember that feeling. It's so dry it's painful to even try to swallow. The problem could be solved by switching to a full face mask, or taping your mouth shut, or perhaps even using denture cream to seal your lips shut at night. You could also try a chin strap, but those don't seem to be very successful. I, personally, am a taper.

Not to be confused with a Tapir.
(Though some would say the resemblance is uncanny...)

There are many previous posts on taping. Use the search function to check out some of them. If it's something you're comfortable trying, it works great.

As for the moisture in the mask (called "rainout") you described, you might want to try the Aussie Heated Hose. It was highly recommended by many users on this forum, so I took the plunge and bought it and it completely eliminated my rainout problem. It can be purchased online. Here's the link you can click on:

SleepZone Heated CPAP Tube

I understand your frustration. CPAP therapy is very frustrating until you get the kinks worked out. The important thing is to stick with it and address each problem as it comes and eventually you'll sleep through the night. Hang in there!

Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Mon May 08, 2006 12:19 pm

tcher49,

Yes, you almost certainly are opening your mouth. Mine tends to pop open every 90 minutes or so when I have a REM sleep cycle. Frustrating problem.
The best laid schemes o' mice and men
Gang aft a-gley;
And leave us naught but grief and pain
For promised joy

--Robert Burns

clarenceh9

Post by clarenceh9 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:30 pm

I have the same problems. I just got a Full Face Mask, Ultra Mirage II and still have the problem with a dry mouth? I have to wake up to sip some water every night.