Quietest Oxygen Concentrator?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pikov22

Quietest Oxygen Concentrator?

Post by pikov22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Has anyone found an oxygen concentrator with a noise level less than 40 dB?
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

greatunclebill

Re: Quietest Oxygen Concentrator?

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

it depends entirely on the machine itself including age and condition. my wife has a visionaire that sits literally at the end of the bed and doesn't bother us. i have no idea about it's DB's. i remember someone else somewhere writing that their's was too noisy.

Last edited by greatunclebill on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First diagnosed 1990
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Hello pikoz22,

I've only come across one and it's only 1 db quieter. Here's the link to the Invacare Perfect O2 W.

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd ... dID=IRC5PW

Hope that helps.

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Doing a quick search I found that many of the so called Quiet ones were rated at 40 dBA. Those seemed to be 5 liter flow. Is the patient below 5 LPM and going to stay below, is one of the questions to ask yourself. I agree that the only easy one to find is the 02 W from Invacare. Another option if not on a cruise or something is to place it in another room and use 25 to 100 feet of tubing.

Last edited by STL Mark on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm

greatunclebill wrote:it depends entirely on the machine itself including age and condition. my wife has a visionaire that sits literally at the end of the bed and doesn't bother us. i have no idea about it's DB's. i remember someone else somewhere writing that there's was too noisy.
That is the brand I have. Mine is black. The only thing that is really noisy is the beeping when you turn it on. You can hear it but we keep a fan running anyway so it just blends in.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm

greatunclebill wrote:it depends entirely on the machine itself including age and condition. my wife has a visionaire that sits literally at the end of the bed and doesn't bother us. i have no idea about it's DB's. i remember someone else somewhere writing that there's was too noisy.
What model Visionaire does your wife have?
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:19 pm

SleepWellCPAP wrote:Hello pikoz22,

I've only come across one and it's only 1 db quieter. Here's the link to the Invacare Perfect O2 W.

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd ... dID=IRC5PW

Hope that helps.

Jim
Thanks.
-----------

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

STL Mark wrote:Doing a quick search I found that many of the so called Quiet ones were rated at 40 dBA. Those seemed to be 5 liter flow. Is the patient below 5 LPM and going to stay below, is one of the questions to ask yourself. I agree that the only easy one to find is the 02 W from Invacare. Another option if not on a cruise or something is to place it in another room and use 25 to 100 feet of tubing.
Not sure about the 5LPM limit.

I googled oxygen concentrators and found lots of them. Not sure what you mean.

Thanks, but I think my house is too small.
-----------

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 pm

pikov22 wrote:
Not sure about the 5LPM limit.

I googled oxygen concentrators and found lots of them. Not sure what you mean.

Thanks, but I think my house is too small.
If your script was to run at 2.5LPM at night while sleeping you would be fine with a 5 liter machine. If for example you required a number of 4 or higher, I would probably invest in a 10 liter maximum flow rate machine. If you are mixing oxygen with CPAP at the mask or hose for example the amount added may be significant to have the traditional effect because of the forced air of the machine. But your titration that included oxygen supplement should define the number.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 pm

pikov22 wrote:
i don't see a model number. the only name i can figure is AirSep VisionAire Home Oxygen Concentrator. it is 1 - 5 lpm 40db and advertised as lightest and quietest.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am

greatunclebill wrote:
pikov22 wrote:
i don't see a model number. the only name i can figure is AirSep VisionAire Home Oxygen Concentrator. it is 1 - 5 lpm 40db and advertised as lightest and quietest.
Thanks so much!
-----------

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 am

We use the VisionAire and we keep it in a corner of the room on a thick carpet square, it has a pleasant hum and doesn't bother us.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Matism056

Post by Matism056 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for sharing! I came accross a very interesting website with more info on this product: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manu ... -2097.html

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm

More important to me than noise, is unit life, and maintenance. I have had two newer units that were a lot quieter, than previous ones or my current one, both failed quickly.

I can deal with noise,I can't deal with one that won't run correctly, or stay working. It seems they are being made quieter but at the price of quality. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

adrian.williams

Post by adrian.williams » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:20 pm

The following link has a good comparison of noise levels in oxygen concentrators.

sleeprestfully DOT com/Portable-Oxygen-Concentrator-Comparison-Chart DOT asp

They all range from 38-44 decibels, so, I think the real solution is not necessarily getting a quieter one, but rather, getting a longer air tube and placing something between your bed and the oxygen concentrator like a closet door. So that's my solution, put the air concentrator in the closet, close the door, run the longer air tube to my CPAP. nighty-nite.