Swift FX v Swift LT: your thoughts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pootsie

Swift FX v Swift LT: your thoughts

Post by pootsie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 am

Hey all. I'm three weeks in to CPAP and happy with it.

I have been using the Swift FX pillows with good success. But over the past few nights, I have been putting the hose up over my head in the way the Swift LT is configured. So I thought, why not try the LT?

When I was first choosing a mask I thought for sure that I would not want the hose running up my forehead like that, but now that is wher I have been putting it. The one thing I see is that the LT hose is a tad short, so the connection to the main hose is right on your head. It would be nice to have another 4 inches to not have the connection right there, I would think

Your thoughts?
thanx

You are the Zzz's knees!

DocWeezy

Re: Swift FX v Swift LT: your thoughts

Post by DocWeezy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

I like them both! I used the LT exclusively for quite a while mainly because of being able to route the hose over my head. Then the FX Bella loops came out and I switched. However, I still use my FX with my travel machine because it is very stable regardless of where I have to put my machine. At home I have a great hose management system so the Bella loops stay stable; at a hotel, where I never know what the layout will be, I always know my LT will stay stable and be comfortable.

If the FX Bella loops were discontinued tomorrow, I'd still be very happy with the LT!

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks, Doc.

Did you have any issue with the hose connection bumping on your noggin with the LT? When I look at the pix I just wish the LT hose was a few inches longer ...

You are the Zzz's knees!

Snowwhite999

Post by Snowwhite999 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

If you like the LT, you might want to look at the F&P Opus 360. Same general design, but a lot cheaper. It's the pillow system I've used since I began CPAP therapy 3 months ago and it works great. I also like to route the hose over my head (and around the corner post on the headboard), and the Opus has performed flawlessly - especially when I got the correct size pillows installed. The short hose is plenty long enough to get back over your forehead w/o bunching up and the mask has a great swiveling elbow joint where the hose joins the mask that makes the system very flexible.

I really barely even notice that it's on any more, which is either a testament to its comfort or to my enjoyment of real sleep for a change.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks, Snowwhite.

My DME carries both the LT and the Opus.

http://www.apria.com/wps/portal/apria/h ... ea-devices

Looking at the pictures I think I prefer where the LT supports rest on the cheekbones rather than closer to the mouth on the Opus:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -Mask.html

But I am in trial period so I might try them both! Who knows?

You are the Zzz's knees!

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 pm

pootsie wrote:Thanks, Doc.

Did you have any issue with the hose connection bumping on your noggin with the LT? When I look at the pix I just wish the LT hose was a few inches longer ...

No, it was fine. I have a hose hanger thingie that kind of juts out over my pillow (slightly to the side). The hose seemed to follow me easily (I'm very restless) with no issues.

Xney

Post by Xney » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 pm

The swift FX and LT pillow sizes are a bit different. So if you're between a size on the FX or LT, the other one might fit better. (For example, I'm a L on the LT, but on the FX the L is too big)

I prefer the overhead routing on the LT, and also the stiffer tube to connect with. The reason is I toss and turn a lot, and combined with some hose routing (via hosebuddy), the overhead is perfect. The FX floppy tube kind of sucks when you switch from side to side and stomach to back like I do. (but it is good if you tend to stay in place on your back)

I feel like the FX has better 'mask' and is more comfortable in terms of how it rests on your face, but the LT works a lot better for me.

(The LT has a very similar size/fit to the Aloha, if you're curious, but Aloha has more stiff/durable pillows IMO)

If you sleep mostly on your back, I think the FX hose is more flexible and comfy, with less on your face.

The biggest priority in choosing between the two is pillow size fit and mask comfort. I would not consider any other factor until there's one which seals well and sits comfortably without tightening. People tend to accept less than good fits when they start out.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks. The FX pillows fit perfectly and I am happy with it, but I just want to try what I can while I have an opportunity.

You are the Zzz's knees!

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I like the FX a lot more than the LT. They are similar, but I find as an active sleeper that the FX, being more flexible, works better for me. Since I use a hose hanger, I don't feel the need for a fixed feed that goes over my face, the hose just follows me around. I tried the LT again recently, which confirmed why I originally switched.

Those are my thoughts about it, but these things are individual and you should try a mask if you think that you might like it or it might work for you.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 am

If you are in your free mask trial period then by all means try as many as you can. If something looks interesting to you...try it if you can. If you hate it you can always go back to a mask that was successful.

I have tried many, many nasal pillow masks. Tried several about 4 months into therapy. Back then we had the cpap auction and slightly used masks were cheap so a good way to test out something.

The Swift LT was my primary mask until the Swift FX nasal pillows was released. I never liked routing the hose over my forehead myself so I don't remember if the length of the LT short hose was that much different than the FX hose. My main issue with the LT was those little plastic side cheek things. Not a horrible issue but I found they were a bit annoying because on my face they rested a little too close to my eyes for me to say it was perfect. Still it was better than the others (for various reasons) and I used the LT till the FX was released. I knew the first time I saw it that I would like it. Part of this came from trying pretty much all the nasal pillow masks that were available back then using the auction for a cheap source. I knew what my own preferences were from the various mask experiments.

So if you can make use of your free mask swapping time to experiment so that you learn what your own preferences might be then do it if you want to.
Funny how I never liked routing the hose over my head and now I end up with a mask that routes the hose over the head...the Tap Pap. It isn't attached though..I don't use the headgear at all.

If you can try the Aloha you might also give it a try...it ran a real close second behind the Swift FX in my own rating system.
In the end my own personal preference for "less stuff on my face/head" always wins out so the Aloha was second place but it was very close. It has an attachment for anchoring the hose over head. Again I never used it that way myself but the other parts of the headgear weren't quite so much "in your face" as the Swift LT was.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks, guys.

Went to the DME today and walked out with the LT. It seems the small pillows fit me better but I am a perfect medium for the FX. Curious ...

I'll let y'all know how it works.

You are the Zzz's knees!

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am

Tried the LT.

It fit nicely sitting up in the chair at the DME. It was OK lounging to see how it felt before bed.

Then when I got into bed with it I hated it. Pent ten mintues loosening, tightening, adjusting, flopping, turning, twisting, negotiating, begging, grumbling and eventually flinging.

The main problem was what I suspected. The stiff hose witha short connection just kept the connector bonking my head or pushing up on the mask in a way I did not like.

I know that the LT works for a lot of people. But they are all wrong

Put my FX on and had a great night's sleep.

So .... who wants to buy a not-really-used LT?

You are the Zzz's knees!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am

pootsie wrote:So .... who wants to buy a not-really-used LT?
Not me. I gave up the Swift LT in favor of the FX....but check out the Aloha if you can. I don't remember if the short hose is longer or more flexible than the LT short hose but for me the Aloha was pretty much an improved Swift LT. What I would have done to make the LT better if I could.

Also if you like routing over head...look at my Tap Pap that I use. It isn't attached (unless you want to use the headgear) overhead but it goes up there and stays up there all by itself pretty easily. Someone that really likes over the head routing using some sort of hose management system would probably find that the over the head thing stays over the head quite well.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.