saline solution in heated humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gidgie

Post by Gidgie » Thu May 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Nice rant........I stopped reading this thread quite a while back........just sticking my nose in the door once in a while to see who's beating who over the head..........

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri May 12, 2006 12:43 am

Ric wrote:If ever a thread needed to die... <rolls eyes> (I just LOVE quoting myself... )

Sorry, I posted that before I read UncleBob on the same issue, different perspective, glad I noticed. I never fully understood the expression "it was so quiet you could hear a germ fart".

Suddenly it all makes sense.

(That's why I hang out here, exposure to deep wisdom, grand themes.)

Thanks UB.

-R

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Fri May 12, 2006 6:47 am

Hi Ric,

So what you are saying is that there are "BAZILLIONS" of germs outside the humidifier, greatly outnumbering the "billions and billions" of germs inside the humidifier. And with their antics, farting and such (quiet or not) the outside germs create sufficient pressure to keep the inside germs confined to their realm thus not posing a real threat to the Apniac at the other end of the hose.

Whew. Now I am finally relieved!! Oops.

Bob F

unclebob

REMmaster

Post by REMmaster » Fri May 12, 2006 6:58 am

As stated by others, the saline will not get in your lungs by adding it to your humidifier. How do you think they make distilled water in the first place?

And using hard water or water with additives will corrode your chamber over time. Go ahead and do what you want, but the manufacturers arent in cahoots with the distilled water manufacturers, so that should give you and idea of the right answer.

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri May 12, 2006 8:46 am

unclebob wrote:Hi Ric,

So what you are saying is that there are "BAZILLIONS" of germs outside the humidifier, greatly outnumbering the "billions and billions" of germs inside the humidifier. And with their antics, farting and such (quiet or not) the outside germs create sufficient pressure to keep the inside germs confined to their realm thus not posing a real threat to the Apniac at the other end of the hose.

Whew. Now I am finally relieved!! Oops.

Bob F
Dear Uncle,

I was thinking it's more like the HUGE negative (imaginary) germ counts INSIDE the HH exactly cancel out the HUGE positive (real) germ counts OUTSIDE the HH. Eventually they meet up and, just like matter and anti-matter...

*POOF* !!

Oops.

Tip: Vaseline Helps

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 9:16 am

What I like to do is shove a large quantity of vaseline up my nostrils to completely coat the inner linings.

That way, any germs or saline crystals riding on the water vapor from my heated humidifier will adhere to the vaseline and not get into my lungs. Then the next morning, I can just blow all the gunk out -- vaseline, saline, germs, and all!

DenverDreamer

Re: Tip: Vaseline Helps

Post by DenverDreamer » Fri May 12, 2006 9:24 am

[quote="Anonymous"]What I like to do is shove a large quantity of vaseline up my nostrils to completely coat the inner linings.

That way, any germs or saline crystals riding on the water vapor from my heated humidifier will adhere to the vaseline and not get into my lungs. Then the next morning, I can just blow all the gunk out -- vaseline, saline, germs, and all!

SleepNapnia

Post by SleepNapnia » Fri May 12, 2006 9:38 am

Snoozin' Bluezzz wrote:I just want to be clear that in my comment I was not advocating tap water in the humidifier. I do not think it is a good practice and would recommend bottled water, i.e. while traveling, where it might not be easy to get distilled or practical to lug it around.

I was responding the the idea that tap water could "eat" through the humidifier. I don't want to be mean to DME_guy but that is just plain silly. If the night stand ruination did occur something else was its cause, not tap water in the humidifier.
Bluezzz: you are wrong. the minerals in tap water will cause pitting (corrosion) on the humidifier chamber plate!
Use Common Sense!!! wrote:Ask yourself this: Do I want saline in my lungs? People sometimes forget what you breathe may be benificial to your nose but NEVER, EVER forget it is also going into your lungs!!!
Does anybody on this forum live by the coast? Go to the beach? Just curious about salt water and air. Seems about the same relationship to me.

SB

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 9:49 am

So let me see if I've got this straight.

1) Fill humidifier with 1/2 toilet water and 1/2 creek water and 1 cup of salt. (If you don't live near a creek, you may substitute tap water that has been poured into a contaminated pre-used plastic bottle.)

2) Shove copper cleaning pad in nose

3) Slather vaseline on nares

4) Put on mask

Am I missing anything?

DenverDreamer

Post by DenverDreamer » Fri May 12, 2006 9:57 am

[quote="Anonymous"]So let me see if I've got this straight.

1) Fill humidifier with 1/2 toilet water and 1/2 creek water and 1 cup of salt. (If you don't live near a creek, you may substitute tap water that has been poured into a contaminated pre-used plastic bottle.)

4) Put on mask

Am I missing anything?

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 am

DenverDreamer wrote:Don't forget to fill your mouth with Fixodent, then tape your lips shut.
Of course! How could I have forgotten!

3) Slather vaseline on nares.

4) Fill mouth with Fixodent

5) Tape lips shut

6) Put on mask

Note to self: Be sure bedside table is not located directly over the bed of the people in the apartment downstairs for when the water eats through the tank, table and floor.

guessed

MISSING ANYTHING?

Post by guessed » Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 am

DenverDreamer wrote:
Anonymous wrote:So let me see if I've got this straight.

4) Put on mask

Am I missing anything?
Don't forget to fill your mouth with Fixodent, then tape your lips shut.
camera?
marbles?

Offerocker

I've forgotten the subject by now!

Post by Offerocker » Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 am

Am I missing anything?

5. Turn on machine ......hey, YOU asked !!

Are we being silly yet? And I just jumped from page 2 to page5 - Wow, think what I've missed. Oh well, someday, when I have time, I'll read it ...NAWWWW

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

CPAPFetish

Re: I've forgotten the subject by now!

Post by CPAPFetish » Fri May 12, 2006 10:58 am

Offerocker wrote:
Am I missing anything?

5. Turn on machine ......hey, YOU asked !!

Are we being silly yet? And I just jumped from page 2 to page5 - Wow, think what I've missed. Oh well, someday, when I have time, I'll read it ...NAWWWW
I've been stoking, caressing, fondling, kissing, rubbing, licking, and massaging my CPAP for hours now and it's STILL not getting turned on. I starting to think it might be frigid....do you think a heated humidifier would help?

brasshopper

Turned on CPAP

Post by brasshopper » Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 am

Might that not depend on the sexual orientation of the CPAP? You leave no clue, but just maybe you are just the wrong sex to turn the cpap on.

Of course, if it were a BiPAP, your sex might not matter so much,

That suggests a joke about a TriPAP. Not a good joke, though, even by the above standard.

Do you think that maybe the right music would help? I suggest David Bowie's Under Pressure as one possibility. Hmmm, what other music might turn a CPAP on?