Odd data problem on Respironics System One INFO screen

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
akcpapguy

Re: Odd data problem on Respironics System One INFO screen

Post by akcpapguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Pugsy is on the right track however the actual chronological time you turn the CPAP on and off again is not the deciding factor. If a "session" runs past 12 p.m. GMT (I believe around 7 or 8 a.m. EST) and is longer than 4 hours it will update the screen once the device is shut off, if the "session" is less than 4 hours it will wait until 12 p.m. GMT before updating the LCD data.
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

ktmtrailrider

Post by ktmtrailrider » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I had the exact same problem with the same machine, after about two months of use. I brough it back, and they replaced it under warranty, and no problems since.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:02 pm

akcpapguy wrote:Pugsy is on the right track however the actual chronological time you turn the CPAP on and off again is not the deciding factor. If a "session" runs past 12 p.m. GMT (I believe around 7 or 8 a.m. EST) and is longer than 4 hours it will update the screen once the device is shut off, if the "session" is less than 4 hours it will wait until 12 p.m. GMT before updating the LCD data.
Thanks for the clarification about length of time for that last short session. I will try to remember that for future questions but I can't promise not to forget it. The problem or questions pops up only maybe a couple of times a year it seems like for the Respironics machine users who look at the on screen data.
I never bother with on screen data and never have short sessions so it won't be something that I will face often and thus jar my memory for the next time this comes up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

akmedia

Post by akmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for the replies. One poster said that a new machine solved the issue and others have suggested that the gap in minutes after shutting the machine and returning to it after a trip to the bathroom may have been long enough to make the machine think it was a new sleep session and, because it was too short, did not return onscreen data for that session.

Here's more of an update:

I have indeed downloaded SleepyHead (as many of you suggested) and I'm also now registered and using EncoreAnywhere (which has almost no useful info). SleepyHead has confirmed that all of my data is being recorded on the SD card and is also being transmitted to my DME and insurance company accurately. The only issue is the intermittent problem with the onscreen data on the REMStar 560.

I also spoke with Philips tech support (my DME had no useful info) and they confirmed that one must view the onscreen data within 30 minutes of final wake (or it resets for the next sleep session) and, with regard to the zeroing out of data, he said that there may be some validity to the suspicions of my insurance company's respiratory therapist that the attached modem was transmitting data during my sleep cycle and therefore altering the display of data.

The transmit time, which seemed to be around 5:30 AM, is set by the DME but they were unable to confirm that or help change it. The Philips tech said, however, that the transmit time can be altered by pressing the SEND button on the modem to force transmission. Since it transmits every 24 hours automatically, forcing transmission resets the clock from whatever time you've pressed the SEND button. Now my transmission time is set for 5:00 PM in the afternoon and should not interrupt my onscreen display during my sleep cycle. We'll see...

This morning it worked but I will keep the board posted...

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 am

akmedia wrote:Thanks for the replies. One poster said that a new machine solved the issue and others have suggested that the gap in minutes after shutting the machine and returning to it after a trip to the bathroom may have been long enough to make the machine think it was a new sleep session and, because it was too short, did not return onscreen data for that session.

Here's more of an update:

I have indeed downloaded SleepyHead (as many of you suggested) and I'm also now registered and using EncoreAnywhere (which has almost no useful info). SleepyHead has confirmed that all of my data is being recorded on the SD card and is also being transmitted to my DME and insurance company accurately. The only issue is the intermittent problem with the onscreen data on the REMStar 560.

I also spoke with Philips tech support (my DME had no useful info) and they confirmed that one must view the onscreen data within 30 minutes of final wake (or it resets for the next sleep session) and, with regard to the zeroing out of data, he said that there may be some validity to the suspicions of my insurance company's respiratory therapist that the attached modem was transmitting data during my sleep cycle and therefore altering the display of data.

The transmit time, which seemed to be around 5:30 AM, is set by the DME but they were unable to confirm that or help change it. The Philips tech said, however, that the transmit time can be altered by pressing the SEND button on the modem to force transmission. Since it transmits every 24 hours automatically, forcing transmission resets the clock from whatever time you've pressed the SEND button. Now my transmission time is set for 5:00 PM in the afternoon and should not interrupt my onscreen display during my sleep cycle. We'll see...

So if you wake up, and the machine shuts off and it turns out you have less than 4 hours of use for the night, you had better go back to sleep on the machine within 30 minutes of the shut off time, or else the additional sleep time will not count to the prior night's use, but the next day's?

akmedia

Post by akmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 am

So if you wake up, and the machine shuts off and it turns out you have less than 4 hours of use for the night, you had better go back to sleep on the machine within 30 minutes of the shut off time, or else the additional sleep time will not count to the prior night's use, but the next day's?
It still counts for that night's/day's sleep (and will be reflected using software like SleepyHead). It just may not be reflected on the machine's onscreen LCD display, it seems.

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

akmedia wrote: I have indeed downloaded SleepyHead (as many of you suggested) and I'm also now registered and using EncoreAnywhere (which has almost no useful info). SleepyHead has confirmed that all of my data is being recorded on the SD card and is also being transmitted to my DME and insurance company accurately. The only issue is the intermittent problem with the onscreen data on the REMStar 560.
I'm guessing you mean SleepMapper when you say EncoreAnywhere in the previous statement. EncoreAnywhere gives very detailed data, everything that Encore Pro did with a few more added functions.
akmedia wrote: I also spoke with Philips tech support (my DME had no useful info) and they confirmed that one must view the onscreen data within 30 minutes of final wake (or it resets for the next sleep session) and, with regard to the zeroing out of data, he said that there may be some validity to the suspicions of my insurance company's respiratory therapist that the attached modem was transmitting data during my sleep cycle and therefore altering the display of data.

Your compant's Respiratory therapist's statement holds NO validity regardless of what the Philips tech support said. The modem is designed to run a check on the flow device (CPAP) when it is scheduled to upload data, if the flow device is on and providing therapy the modem will not transmit. After a 30 minute wait the modem will try again to transmit data, if the flow device is still in use it will again not transmit and default into a waiting period. Rinse and repeat until the modem detects that the flow device is not in use while it is trying to transmit and only then will it transmit data.
akmedia wrote: The transmit time, which seemed to be around 5:30 AM, is set by the DME but they were unable to confirm that or help change it. The Philips tech said, however, that the transmit time can be altered by pressing the SEND button on the modem to force transmission. Since it transmits every 24 hours automatically, forcing transmission resets the clock from whatever time you've pressed the SEND button. Now my transmission time is set for 5:00 PM in the afternoon and should not interrupt my onscreen display during my sleep cycle. We'll see...

The fact that your modem was set to transmit at 5:30 a.m. tells me that your DME is not setting your flow device via the modem, they are using the card to set the prescription and then lacing the modem on the flow device. The modems are set by default to transmit 30 minutes after 12 p.m. GMT, however if you initiate an upload such as you did or your DME transmits a prescription to the modem, the default upload time is then reset to the time of that transmission. I have noticed on occasion that a client will need to initiate an upload a few days in a row before the default time resets.
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

SavageAnimal

Post by SavageAnimal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 am

I know this is an older post, but I thought I would add my experience which led me to this post this morning... My machine is a PR System One REMStar 60 Series Bipap and I too have this random occurrence. For me it doesn't happen very often, maybe once every week or two. The time I start or stop the machine (sleep/wake up) doesn't appear to be a factor. I pretty much go to sleep and wake up around the same time every night/morning (12am-7am) (7 hours) and I almost never have breaks. Most of the time my nightly data for the previous session is there as soon as I wake up and turn it off and check it. My past assumption was that the times it had zeros for the previous session was because maybe I started it after midnight. But then I really started paying attention to when I was going to sleep and waking up and my results have been very random considering that this morning it happened again and last night I was in bed with it on around 11pm and woke up and turned it off around 6am with all zeros for the last session. While other times that it has happened I have gone to sleep after midnight and woke up later than 6-8am and there have been times when I sleep these same hours and don't encounter this issue. So, I don't really see what is causing this, and it really isn't a big deal since the data IS being recorded and shows in Sleepyhead... but there is definitely something going on there. Also, maybe I should add that I unplug my machine everyday as soon as I wake up to put it up out of the way, and get it out and plug it back in just before I go to bed at night. I'm not sure if that may be a factor.

Also, I never have sessions shorter than 4 hours...
...THINK FOR YOURSELF - QUESTION EVERYTHING...

uphill

Post by uphill » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi, Don't know if you already got replies on this. I had the same issue and was really perplexed. It was finally explained to me and seems to have been true: While the data from the night you just ended may load very quickly, generally it will take a few minutes. It will always be there five minutes after you turn the machine off in the morning and will stay there until 20 minutes after. Then it becomes the previous day's data. See if that holds true for you. I have the same machine.