For those of you with a fitbit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

For those of you with a fitbit

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:57 am

and are working your tail off trying to lose weight and get back into shape while dealing with apnea. The Sleep Apnea Fitbit forum is here: http://www.fitbit.com/group/22DBS7

It's a pain in the neck to try to find, so I thought I post the link. It looks like there are only two members (myself included) and was opened about two weeks ago - so here's the link if you are interested.

Beats clicking through a million pages to try to find it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: For those of you with a fitbit

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 am

Hmm, got to sign up to see anything--lurking impossible. g'bye!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Hmm, got to sign up to see anything--lurking impossible. g'bye!
You have to have a fitbit. You can lurk all you want if you have one and are signed into your account.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 am

I toyed with the idea, and then I saw this awesome Balance 3-axis on clearance at Target for 25 bucks;
so, no fitbit.

flutterby11

Post by flutterby11 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 am

I have been looking into getting a Fitbit. Can you explain it to me a little and which one you have, and how you like it?

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks, quietmorning. I am starting a diet and exercise program today and was looking at the FitBit Flex, but it is 2 1/2 to 3 months back-ordered! Which device do you have? I am not sure if this is worth waiting for or to go with one of the other FitBit models or another company all together.

Blessings,

Kate

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:51 am

I have the Fitbit one. I'm going to buy the wristband at $15, that way I can have my cake and eat it too as it were.

I really like it. It does not pick up car vibrations like my last pedometer did.

And I really love the calorie verses burn ability so then I'm more on target with what I eat.

I don't use it for sleep as my apnea events registers wakes.

I got a really good deal on mine paying $35.00. So it was well worth the expense for me, though I was very prepared to spend the 99 as other pedometers didn't work nearly as well.
Last edited by quietmorning on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:03 am

I am enrolled in the walking challenge through work--national county government organization;
as a retiree, I can still use it as family/friends--it's free, and works with any pedometer, swim and bike times are counted, too.
Never buy a unit that rattles; those are way less accurate, especially for the adorably fluffy.
(sometimes you can even get one for free) 2 or 3 axis pedometers will do the job best.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28 am

flutterby11, rby11 wrote:I have been looking ooking into getting a Fitbit. Can you explain it to me a you have, and how you like it?
I have the Fitbit one in Burgundy. I really love this thing but I think what I really love about it are the different motivations it offers. The challenges are to climb stairs, to walk so many steps a day., to eat according to your calorie expense, to work out at least once a day.

Its very small, very light and unobtrusive. I wear mine clip to my bra. When I'm on my bike I clip it to my sock.

I'm finding that I park further away from the grocery stores, I climb the stairs in my house after every task. I also do laps around my house after every task. I balance my calorie intake with what I've already burned except in the morning and that insures that I stay within the two pound a week loss. I've had the Fitbit for 3 days now and I've lost nearly two pounds not quite.

The last pedometer I had (as I said before) recorded every little bump if I drove my car. This doesn't. I love that!! It was frustrating to try to figure out what I actually did during the day when I had any driving included, and I often forgot to check before and after a drive to subtract the 'added' amount.

As far as sleep is concerned, I think I will wait until I purchase the bracelet before I try that again. The bracelet that comes with the Fitbit one is practically worthless. My Fitbit falls out or moves too much. When I do use it for sleep it will be more for sleep efficiency, maybe and perhaps just relative getting to bed on time. . .nothing major or really worth paying attention to.

The battery charges on a usb cord that hooks to a computer. It does not have a power supply to go into a wall jack. From what I can see - the charge lasts about five days - not bad. I do sleep with mine, irregardless of the sleep info so that it can figure calories even better.

The only thing I absolutely DO NOT like is that it's another (computer) program that I don't have control of. I have to sign in on the web. I do not like that - but weighing the bennies with the one dislike, it was worth the purchase.
Last edited by quietmorning on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I toyed with the idea, and then I saw this awesome Balance 3-axis on clearance at Target for 25 bucks;
so, no fitbit.
Good deal!

I tried to look up Balance 3-axis as I've never heard of it, but I don't think I found what you are talking about. Do you have a link? I'd like to take a look see. Hubby might be more interested in it than the fitbit.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:54 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I am enrolled in the walking challenge through work--national county government organization;
as a retiree, I can still use it as family/friends--it's free, and works with any pedometer, swim and bike times are counted, too.
Never buy a unit that rattles; those are way less accurate, especially for the adorably fluffy.
(sometimes you can even get one for free) 2 or 3 axis pedometers will do the job best.
Ohhhhh!!! that's THREE . . .axis pedometers!! ok. . . will look again!

LOL. . .I searched axis pedometers and I found the 3Axis Pedometer!! Gah. . .I'm so slow on the uptake today!

Do you have any problem with them in the car?

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info, but I do have another question. The FitBits say they have wireless synching with iPhones and some Android phones. My Android is not on the list. Do you have an iPhone? How do you get the data to the website?

Thanks!

Kate

I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Kate M wrote:Thanks for the info, but I do have another question. The FitBits say they have wireless synching with iPhones and some Android phones. My Android is not on the list. Do you have an iPhone? How do you get the data to the website?

Thanks!

Kate
I have a Galaxy S III - I downloaded the fitbit app, and it wirelessly dowloads when I open the app. For computer use, the fitbit comes with a little dongle that has a usb end to it - this is a wireless dongle. (See below)

When you plug it into your usb port on your computer, and download the "fitbit connect" program (there is a pamphlet in the box that tells you the site you need to go to to download and to register.)
So they give you everything you need, even if your computer is not wireless. Well, not everything. You do need a computer - though you can get information for what you are doing right on the fitbit - and for someone without a computer, they would have the same information, or maybe a little more as a pedometer has.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm

quietmorning wrote:
Kate M wrote:How do you get the data to the website?
So they give you everything you need, even if your computer is not wireless..
Wonderful! I think you just made a FitBit sale

Thanks!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 pm

My bad; the clearance pedometer I bought at Target is a New Balance Via Slim (probably discontinued)
My Gaiam by Oregon Scientific is even older, probably also discontinued. (the one I washed)
Look for a pedometer with dynamometers, not pendulums.
If the packaging does not say "dynamometer", it probably is a less accurate pendulum type.
Dynos are more pricey than pendulums, so it WILL state it on the package, and it WILL cost more.
Look for the good ones at Best Buy, Target, or specialty athletic shops.