Weird day--question about pressure setting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mr19

Weird day--question about pressure setting

Post by Mr19 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 am

I have been looking at the readings on my S7 Elite to see how well I am doing with my CPAP. It has been almost 3 weeks since I started, and things have been going very well. Until yesterday. It was one of the most fatigue filled days in recent memory. I got up, felt ok, check my CPAP which showed good numbers (AHI 3.7), then went for a run. The run was unexpectedly hard, and I was drained for pretty much the whole day. I kept falling asleep after dinner, just like the old days. Today I feel fine.

CPAP has been pretty easy for me so far (thanks in no small part to the Swift FX). It only took me a few days to get used to it and now I fall asleep right away. Sometimes when I wake up at night, it hardly feels like the CPAP is working (it is). So I got to wondering about my pressure setting.

It has always been at 8.0. When I check my results on my machine, it always shows 8.0 as the pressure. Does this mean the pressure is always maxed out? I don't know if it is a peak value, an average or something else. At any rate, I bumped that up to 8.6 last night and got some of my best numbers to date (the "result" reading this morning showed 8.6). So now I'm thinking of bumping it up to 9.6 and see how it goes. Is this a bad idea?

I'm also seeing my leak number increase. It had been something like 0.03 L/s, but the last two nights have been 0.14 L/s and 0.20 L/s. Again, I don't know if these are averages or peak values. Is the increase in leak a function of higher pressure?

FWIW, I am working on getting my ResScan software to work with my machine. I have a cable on order that i hope will solve the problem and produce more useful data.

Xney

Re: Weird day--question about pressure setting

Post by Xney » Wed May 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Is your machine in CPAP (continuous) or APAP (auto-adjusting) mode?

I wouldn't sweat a bad night, though if your AHI remains above 3 you may want to fiddle a bit. Adjusting things slowly and with a plan is a good idea!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Mr19 wrote:I'm also seeing my leak number increase. It had been something like 0.03 L/s, but the last two nights have been 0.14 L/s and 0.20 L/s. Again, I don't know if these are averages or peak values. Is the increase in leak a function of higher pressure?
I am pretty sure that the leak number reported on the LCD screen of the S7 machine is the 95% number which means that for 95% of the night the leaks were at OR below that number.
Since your machine reports L/sec then you have to multiply by 60 to get the L/min number...or just remember that your number to avoid is 0.40 L/sec...that's equal to 24 L/min.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I can't tell by your post if you are just starting to use CPAP or if you have been using it for several years. You are using a S7 which may indicate that you have been at it for 4 years or more. If you have an Elite which is a fixed pressure machine, the pressure will always show the pressure you have set it at...8.0....Your leaks look ok and if you are feeling well rested your AHI numbers are fine.

Mr19

Post by Mr19 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm a newbee PAPer (13 days). I just now was able to get my ResScan software to communicate with my S7. I am now reading the manual to understand what it all means.

The weird thing about my bad day yesterday is that my numbers look pretty good. I did see my leaks were up quite a bit yesterday, so that may have been part of it.

Or maybe I was just tired because I was tired.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Since your a new cpap'er, did a DME give you the S7 or did you get it on your own?

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV