dental cream/fixadent on mouth works better than tape for me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
woozle

Post by woozle » Fri May 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Sleepless - Good luck with the neighbor!!

After a few more nights with this, am using a little bit less, and also, it takes a while to dry, like 20 minutes - which is about how long it takes for me to go to sleep/ramp time so works out well - sorry it didn't for others!!!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri May 05, 2006 4:45 pm

woozle wrote:Sleepless - Good luck with the neighbor!!
Woozle,

What neighbor??? I'm sorry. I scrolled back and looked to see what I wrote and can't find that.
L o R i

woozle

Post by woozle » Fri May 05, 2006 4:52 pm

sorry!! meant tim, sleepless in st l. don't know how to do the cut/paste thing!! he said was going to go talk to his cute neighbor You probably think I am way weird!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 05, 2006 4:59 pm

It would be a great thing not to worry with straps.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri May 05, 2006 5:04 pm

woozle wrote:sorry!! meant tim, sleepless in st l. don't know how to do the cut/paste thing!! he said was going to go talk to his cute neighbor You probably think I am way weird!
Woozle,
LOL! You're right, though, that there were two Sleepless(es) posting on this thread. No need for apologies.

Yes, I wish Tim good luck with the new neighbor, too.

Goofproof,
It would be nice if you could just stick that old mask to your face and it would stay put. Doubt Fixodent or anything other than Crazy Glue would do that, and we don't want to go there...
L o R i

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Fri May 05, 2006 5:24 pm

Sleepless in St. Louis wrote:I can't believe that I'm sitting here on a beautiful St. Louis afternoon (we don't get all that many of these) with my lips glued shut with generic fixodent...It's been on about 10 min. and so far so good. If it holds another half an hour I'm going to call it a qualified success and then go out and chat up my new single neighbor who is just as cute as could be... She'll think I'm kinky or something...
Or something....

We are a strange hurrah of Hoseheads, are we not?

SB

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Sat May 06, 2006 7:10 am

Tried this again last night. It really worked pretty well. I reduced the amount and like Jimm and Woozle - less is more. I used just a little, smeared it across my lip in a thin film, "lip sticked" them and I did not open my mouth until I got up at 7am.

I still found it a little bit difficult to clean off completely but I think I have a new tool for the belt. It was definitely more comfortable than tape.

SB

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat May 06, 2006 7:28 am

I tried it last night, too. Although my leak rate didn't change, I slept through the night till 6 AM, which is unusal for me. So maybe not mouth breathing helps not arouse my brain. I am going for it again to night to see if it was a fluke or not.
L o R i

Sleepless in St. Louis

Post by Sleepless in St. Louis » Sat May 06, 2006 8:37 am

I chickened out trying the fixodent fix last night even though it seems to have worked on my skunk works test. The paste was kind of gross and hard to get out of my mouth. Plus I kept thinking that this is like what they do at the mortuary to keep clients' mouths from popping open when they are visiting with their relatives. I don't know how denture wearers deal with this goop every day. I have never had any real problem taping as others have reported. I thought this would be an alternative worth trying which I may still do for grins.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat May 06, 2006 10:23 am

Sleepless (St. Louis)

You don't need a lot at all to have it work, unless perhaps you are having the bursts of air the make your mouth pop open. I used a very thin layer and didn't get it in my mouth at all. Don't place it too far back on the lips, just enough to cover where they meet. Maybe you used too much. It came off easily with a little warm water.
L o R i

roztom

Post by roztom » Sat May 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Lori that 's a great point about not being disturbed and awakened by mouth leaks.

I'd like to hear more from those who are doing this as a regular solution.

Thanks,

Tom
"Nothing To It, But To Do It"

Un-treated REM AHI: 71.7
Almost All Hypopneas
OXY Desat: 83.9%

Trying To Get It Right

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat May 06, 2006 6:54 pm

roztom wrote:Lori that 's a great point about not being disturbed and awakened by mouth leaks.

I'd like to hear more from those who are doing this as a regular solution.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom,

I had another idea on the same line. Have you ever noticed when you open your mouth with your cpap running (mask on, of course), it causes the mask to make loud noise? That could also happen when we open our mouths in our sleep, regardless of if it arouses our brain. Perhaps the noise just wakes us up for a second or two, which could attribute for those pesky unexplained awakenings during the night; hence, not sleeping through the night.

L o R i

roztom

Post by roztom » Sat May 06, 2006 7:36 pm

I just bought a tube of generc fixadent. So I might try it tonight.. YIKES

Almost All Hypopneas

Trying To Get It Right

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat May 06, 2006 7:52 pm

roztom wrote:I just bought a tube of generc fixadent. So I might try it tonight.. YIKES
Tom, no "YIKES." It is really no big deal. Just use some warm water and a washcloth to remove it in the morning. Or if your toothbrush has a tongue scraper on it, it will work, too. And then you can just steam the toothbrush under hot water when you're done.

Let us know how you did. Good luck.
L o R i

roztom

Post by roztom » Sun May 07, 2006 8:01 am

I got the generic brand and tried applying it.

SOme of it seeped inside my lips and got in my mouth - VERY YUCKY.

I washed it out & took a pass - I wimped out.

How are the rest of you doing?

Tom

Almost All Hypopneas

Trying To Get It Right