dental cream/fixadent on mouth works better than tape for me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Sat May 20, 2006 6:59 am

That was me - guested.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:15 pm

Belatedly awarded to woozle for a really creative hint about denture paste, leading to polygrip paste and strips. Kudos, woozle!

woozle

Post by woozle » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 pm

Thanks Rested Gal - I totally forgot about that - I just hope that it helped somebody sleep well

bookwrm63

Post by bookwrm63 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 am

As a newbie to this site, I am reading as much as I can to try to make my cpap experience a tolerated one. I used keywords "mouth breathing" and "tape" in my search and followed a few links placed by rested Gal (the cpap info Queen, IMHO)..lol..I must say, I haven't laughed this much in a long time. It's great when people can inject humor into what can normally be a humorless topic and I can still learn from it! That being said, I think I will skip the silver duct tape, the black mouth ball and simply try the Polident strips or the regular micropore tape. I get a terrible jaw ache from using the chin strap so these ideas sound great. I realize this thread is an older one but for new people like myself, I was glad to find it and once again, thanks all for the humor and help!

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi, I'm a brand-new CPAP user (less than a week), and I am wondering why everyone who breathes through their mouth doesn't just get the full face mask? That's what they gave me, and I would rather just get used to that instead of trying to tape/glue my mouth shut!

"FarAwayDeb"

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi, I'm a brand-new CPAP user (less than a week), and I am wondering why everyone who breathes through their mouth doesn't just get the full face mask? That's what they gave me, and I would rather just get used to that instead of trying to tape/glue my mouth shut!

"FarAwayDeb"
Many folks struggle with feelings of claustrophobia when using CPAP interfaces and full face masks can exaggerate that problem. Also, from my limited experience and from what I read, FFMs are more difficult to manage in controlling leaks and can create problems with soreness and abrasions. Personally I only use the one I have when congestion prevents me from breathing through my nose. My Swift and 1/2 piece of a Polident Strip works terrifically well in keeping my mouth shut and is no problem or fuss at all. It almost feels like there is nothing on my face anymore and has made 100% compliance, for almost 2 years now, pretty painless.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi, I'm a brand-new CPAP user (less than a week), and I am wondering why everyone who breathes through their mouth doesn't just get the full face mask? That's what they gave me, and I would rather just get used to that instead of trying to tape/glue my mouth shut!

"FarAwayDeb"
And......then there are those of us who have no problems with our full face masks.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

farawaydeb

Post by farawaydeb » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks for such a fast response!

I do panic and hyperventilate a bit the first couple of minutes with the full mask. Brain immediately informs me that BOTH my nose and mouth are covered, and therefore I CAN'T BREATHE. I use some relaxation techniques to convince my brain that since there IS air coming in THROUGH the mask, I can indeed breathe, thereby telling my brain to shut up and go to sleep. LOL

"FarAwayDeb"

Moby

Post by Moby » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 pm

LOL Deb!

Telling the brain to shut up sure is a useful skill!

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends" - The Beatles

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:16 pm

i have extremely sensitive skin and rosacea...it's completely under control, but at the beginning of my therapy even the nasal masks caused almost immediate flare-ups and pressure sores after just a few days no matter how much adjusting i did

nasal pillows for me, but not with polident paste...ugh, i tried it once and it made me gag like crazy...but the polident strips work beautifully and come off very easily

Re: dental cream/fixadent on mouth works better than tape for me

Post by Guest » Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote="woozle"]I tried using the tape suggested here as I am mouth breathing at night and it just didn't work. It kept itching and when I pulled it off, slowly, my lips were raw. So I tried last night some fixadent - for dentures - thinking if that stuff can hold dentures to the gums when eating corn on the cob, it should hold my lips together. It worked, and it was really easy to get off this morning. Just fyi, thought the mustache crew may want to try it![/quote]

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I just discovered this thread.

Has anyone continued to use this technic?

I use a pap-cap and a nasal mask; I tried full face masks and rejected them, considering that I don't mouth breath often. The real reason? I didn't like the 3 or 4 masks I tried. One was recent...

So I am looking for a common sense solution that will resolve occasional mouth breathing for me. Perhaps an adult soother?

DaveL
    Toronto

Regards,
    DaveL Toronto

Sir NoddinOff

Re:

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Guest wrote:Fixodent:
    Ingredients from MSDS/Label
    Menthol
    Petrolatum
    Carboxymethylcellulose sodium
    D&C Red #27 aluminum lake
    Menthyl lactate
    Peppermint extract
    Mineral oil (unspecified)
    Silica (unspecified)
    Calcium/zinc polyvinyl methyl ether maleate
    Next month I'm releasing my NEW CPAP PRODUCT: FIX-O-PAP No Hoseheads were harmed in the testing of this product

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
    Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Petrolatum and mineral oil both present,
    this stuff would not be advisable to adhere a slippery mask to the face.
    Hmm, I wonder if spirit gum will stick to silicone. . .