dental cream/fixadent on mouth works better than tape for me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ellen

noises waking you up

Post by Ellen » Mon May 08, 2006 11:17 am

Roztom - You should invest in some good ear plugs - I've used them for years, as once I finally got to sleep (before CPAP) any little noise would wake me up and here the birds start about 4:30 AM....

Regular earplugs hurt my ear canals so I use the silicone ones that you must "mush" over ear canal for a seal - be sure and wash inside ear first so you get a good seal - NOT into the ear canal, just all around the area....

Bet that would help you sleep.......

WillyW

Re: noises waking you up

Post by WillyW » Mon May 08, 2006 11:39 am

[quote="Ellen"]Roztom - You should invest in some good ear plugs - I've used them for years, as once I finally got to sleep (before CPAP) any little noise would wake me up and here the birds start about 4:30 AM....

Regular earplugs hurt my ear canals so I use the silicone ones that you must "mush" over ear canal for a seal - be sure and wash inside ear first so you get a good seal - NOT into the ear canal, just all around the area....

Bet that would help you sleep.......

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Tue May 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Ok, I have been sitting back watching this unfold and trying the denture stuff as we go. I have been an avid, religious taper for the last few months. I tried the squeeze tube and that just did not work for me. I could not get a good seal no matter what amount I used. I hated trying to get the goo off my lips after several failed attempt. Not totally ready to give up on the whole concept I tried the polygrip strips. AMAZING!!!! No mess, I could get the strip wet and mold it to the shape of my lips. I had a fantastic seal. I just tried it this afternoon so I will have to see how tonight goes. I love this idea thanks.

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 pm

But isn't using the strips the same as using tape?

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Tue May 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:But isn't using the strips the same as using tape?

No, using tape requires covering the outside of you mouth and all around the edges. Using the strips I can seal the parts of my lips that naturally touch and never have anything "around" my mouth.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue May 09, 2006 2:11 pm

To wake up on time if you are using earplugs put a light on a timer and wake up to light. There are lamps that start dim and over a 15 min or so period get brighter. Sort of like natural sunlight -but you get to choose the time. If you wear an eye mask and earplugs you're in trouble until you train yourself to waken at a specific time.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 pm

idahogal wrote:
No, using tape requires covering the outside of you mouth and all around the edges. Using the strips I can seal the parts of my lips that naturally touch and never have anything "around" my mouth.
Ah, I see! That would be an improvement! I will head off to Walgreens for my PoliGrip strips tonight! (I'm out of KY Jelly for my nares, so I'll get some more of that too. I suppose the cashier will be thinking, "Wow, even old broads with dentures still get some action.")

woozle

Post by woozle » Tue May 09, 2006 4:22 pm

I have also been hit and miss with the cream - and I tried the strips also they really work well - better idea! thanks

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 4:36 pm

Ellen, as I recall you were still being awakened by your husband's snoring even with earplugs. I have the same problem. Do the silicone ones work better to block out the sound?

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Tue May 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
idahogal wrote:
Ah, I see! That would be an improvement! I will head off to Walgreens for my PoliGrip strips tonight! (I'm out of KY Jelly for my nares, so I'll get some more of that too. I suppose the cashier will be thinking, "Wow, even old broads with dentures still get some action.")

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue May 09, 2006 8:03 pm

Has anyone tried Preperation H? It might shrink your lips so small no air can get out, just a thought! I'm glad a FF Mask by-passes that problem. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Tue May 09, 2006 8:21 pm

ROFL I can remember my mom using that stuff around her mouth to get rid of her smokers wrinkles. I was in my teens and had to struggle to keep from spouting out the various names for her that popped into my head.

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Updating my shopping list:

PoliGrip Strips
KY Jelly
Preperation H.

Oh dear...

Jimm

Post by Jimm » Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:Updating my shopping list:

PoliGrip Strips
KY Jelly
Preperation H.

Oh dear...
Don't forget the XXXL size pantyhose!

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Wed May 10, 2006 6:19 am

I think the Polygrip strips may be a winner for me. I used them last night to great effect. I had a requirement to open my mouth last night to take a med and they even resealed fine. No fuss, no muss. I may stick with them for awhile. Cooler, as in less warm, than tape as well.

SB