Next Generation of Machine Deisgn: PR S2's and Resmed S10's

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nooblakahn

Re: Next Generation of Machine Deisgn: PR S2's and Resmed S10's

Post by Nooblakahn » Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Id have no problem with this machine existing for those that want it... but im fi.e with my s9 the way it is. Sounds less durable. Gym bag material can rip... hard plastic cracks sure but not as easily as a bag can tear. The Wifi for browsing would be an awesome feature that I would like to see implemented. Just hook it up to my router and dial in from any pc in my house. Yeah that would be sweet.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Hose_Head

Re: Next Generation: PR S2's and Resmed S10's

Post by Hose_Head » Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Wakanda wrote:Replies to Comments:
"How on earth would the bag not show the machine, yet still get adequate airflow?
- - - Airflow is easily achieve with breathable fabrics and strategically placed openings in the bag. This is easily achieved.
A prime design factor for any travel bag is that it MUST be dust proof. Nobody wants to open their cpap at bedtime only to find it full of dust, or worse, insects. There is absolutely no way that a travel bag that can breath sufficiently to allow use of a cpap inside it can be made also to meet this primary design requirement.

At a minimum you will need some sort of snorkel arrangement to allow airflow to the machine during use.
I'm workin' on it.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I am a huge critic of the design and construction of cpap travel bags and previously I have posted about shortcomings in their design. However, my wish list for travel bag design seems to be significantly different than that of the OP.

My thoughts about cpap travel bags are as follow:
- Additional padding should be provided. Current designs are inadequate.
- they should have sealed compartments to hold all parts of the cpap to keep out dust and insects.
- separate internal compartments should be provided for each component: cpap/humidifier, power supply, hose, mask, extension cord/surge suppressor, supplies such as spare fuses, filters, etc, and an inside sleeve for a copy of your Rx and doctor's note. Keeping this organized this way means you are less likely to find something missing when you need it most.
- The bag should have both a carry handle and a shoulder strap and it should be designed to allow it to piggy back on the handle of roller luggage.

Other than the above functional considerations, I have few other concerns. I don't care if they are hard sided or soft sided, black or brightly coloured. Why not offer all?

I just wish the market were large enough for aftermarket products to be available at reasonable prices (i.e. under $100).
I'm workin' on it.

tangram

Post by tangram » Wed May 15, 2013 6:38 pm

allen476 wrote:A good quality surge device basically self-destructs rendering the downstream devices useless until replaced.
Allen consider the Brick Wall surge protectors that work on a different principle and do not self-destruct. That's what I use with my CPAP. Not a commercial, just a satisfied user.

http://www.brickwall.com/

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Hose_Head wrote: - separate internal compartments should be provided for each component: cpap/humidifier, power supply, hose, mask, extension cord/surge suppressor, supplies such as spare fuses, filters, etc, and an inside sleeve for a copy of your Rx and doctor's note. Keeping this organized this way means you are less likely to find something missing when you need it most.
Completely agree on this one. Annoying jamming the hose, mask and power brick all into one not large enough slot.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Absolute bollocks. The latest machines are fine. Any custom features only used by the few adds to the cost for all of us.
The current machines provide the much needed therapy along with the required comfort features that give you your life back. I'm grateful the current machines even exist, but some people will never be happy.
Actually, no, they are not. Some have some pretty stupid design omissions that would frankly cost nothing of consequence to remedy. I too have a PR60. The designers omitted any means to 'wake' the display backlight up once the blower is already running. So if you wake up at 2 am and care to glance over at the machine to see what pressure it has you at, you need a flashlight to shine onto the display. Completely and absolutely thoughtless omission by the engineers. The display shows the pressure, just no way to turn the backlight back on by turning the control knob or whatnot -- so it's invisible in the dark....... (The S9 does have this backlight wake-up feature, but the S9 has its flaws too, like a fixed, rear-facing hose connection, and no OptiStart feature like the PR60.)

Plus, only the FP Icon (I think) at least has a clock display. If you have to have a big box sitting on your nightstand, offering basic clock radio features would be sooooo considerate and cost what? Yeah, it likely costs darned near nothing in 2013.

I dont agree CPAPs should be redesigned by having them permanemtly sewn into a gym bag, but definitely improve them they must! Still far too many glaring design omissions. Not even counting the lack of pressure consistency I have experienced with my APAP.....

mollete

Re: Next Generation: PR S2's and Resmed S10's

Post by mollete » Thu May 16, 2013 3:33 am

allen476 wrote:The better solution is to find out why they are moving from place to place during the night and remedy that.
Hookers.

mollete

Post by mollete » Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 am

Wakanda wrote:Machines that work from within Gym Bags.
It would seem to make a lot more sense to me for YOU to design a gym bag that you could put a CPAP machine in and it would operate safely (not overheat and melt down).

TS, if there was a LOT of money to be made in that design it'd be out there already. The manufacturers aren't concerned in what's needed unless it happens to increase sales.

Case in point: The availability of pediatric products.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 am

Let me add one more tidbit in addition to those posted above -- on the PR System One series, the filter system absolutely must be redesigned. I cant understand what engineer conceived the current design as being adequate. I woke up this morning to find both filters popped out of the back of the machine, as has happened a few times before. I have been battling a cold since Friday and woke up coughing a few times last night. I did get the mask disconnected in time for a few coughs, but for others, I was just not so lucky. So the backpressure apparently pushed the filters all the way out the back of the machine. "Friction Fit" for CPAP filters is simply not enough. People do sneeze and cough while using these things after all. At least sometimes....

tomma

Post by tomma » Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am

This is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've read here.

Instead of asking these companies to spend time designing something that nobody really needs or would buy, how about asking them to work on better mask designs, or incorporating some ZEO like functionality into the machines. Oh yeah, and make that d@!^ beeping when turning some machines on and off user configurable.

pootsie

Re: PR S2's and Resmed S10's

Post by pootsie » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 am

chunkyfrog wrote:My hearing aid is bright metallic blue,
state of the art, in full public view.
Froggy is writing poems, now!

You are the Zzz's knees!

Wakanda

Post by Wakanda » Thu May 16, 2013 8:40 am

I have edited and incorporated the reasonable suggestions that many of you have made into the original posting. I hope you have an opportunity to re-read it. I also included a few interesting stories.

I realize this machine package may not be suitable for all; however, many would find it invaluable.

imfletch

Post by imfletch » Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 am

I don't think I would use a single feature of this "new" machine as you describe it. Yet, it would certainly send the price through the roof!
I wouldn't mind a new line that included an "option" for an eight-hour battery. I wouldn't mind a machine that could accept input from just about any recording oximeter and not just a select one or few (this just makes the oximeter more expensive when it is the ONLY ONE that will work. A feature that would cost just about nothing that would be nice would be a clock and alarm so I can get one more thing off my night stand.
Jim Fletcher

Reach me at: imfletch@mediacombb.net

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu May 16, 2013 9:12 am

I don't want a gym bag in my bedroom or something that looks like a fake antique from Walmart. I want something that looks like a Star Trek console or a piece of Borg technology or Star wars or Serenity!

And I want it to communicate directly with MY computer and nobody elses!

As far as travel bags go, I prefer a back pack that contains my laptop and odds and ends. I am quite capable of cutting some foam or wrapping the machine in bubble wrap and a change of clothing.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tangram

Post by tangram » Thu May 16, 2013 9:29 am

BlackSpinner wrote:I want something that looks like a Star Trek console or a piece of Borg technology or Star wars or Serenity!
Yes, as that will keep hotel cleaning staff from touching it.

Although some of the ideas originally floated for improved leafblowers seem far-out, I think this is a constructive discussion to have. There's always room for improvement in usability. Machines should work for us and not the other way around.