WISP Nasal Mask from respironics.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mfignewton

WISP Nasal Mask from respironics.

Post by mfignewton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 am

Has anyone used this new mask from respironics, just trying to find something other than the nasal pillows. Please let me know what you think of it.

jlmoorekcmo

Re: WISP Nasal Mask from respironics.

Post by jlmoorekcmo » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 am

I have been using mine since Saturday. I was using the easylife mask which was a good mask, but I wanted to get away from the forehead support. My forehead was sweating and even breaking out if I didn't wear a do rag or something.
As for the Wisp so far I give it a B+. So far mask is comfortable, very few leaks, & numbers are good so far, only concern I have is it seems like there should be a size between small & medium.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 am

I also have the Wisp; I found the "petite" was a little close-fitting to my taste, but would work in a pinch.
I wear the S/M, and that fits better. The large I cannot use. I got the clear (silicone and firm plastic) frame;
which is a bit stiff and straight, but I was able to bend it to my face shape a little better.
This is one stable mask!
I have not tried the cloth frame, but believe it may be a little more flexible, since it is reversible.
I have worn it about half the time since I got it a month ago.
I switch between it, my Swift FX, and my Tap Pap--just so my face doesn't get bored.

Imasnorin

Post by Imasnorin » Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am

I have been using mine for 6 weeks now and love it. I have had 0% in large leaks! I am also using the s/m sized one and wish it was just a tad bigger and of course the large one, well is just too large!

The frame is an issue, I have the reversable cloth covered frame. The lower side where it clips has broken and it will no longer "SNAP" in. I have found that as long as it is pulled snug enough it wont come out. After looking around, it does appear to be a frequent problem. I submitted an email to Respironics, whether that does any good remains to be seen.

Doug

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 am

Love my Wisp!!! Thought I had really found "my mask" with the Aloha until my new doc wanted me to try the Wisp.

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I continue to be amazed by my Wisp!

I thought I liked my Swift FX with headgear, then with Bella Loops, and then my Aloha even more than the Swift, but IMHO the Wisp is even more comfortable than those nasal pillow masks. It is soft, comfortable and doesn't require me to fiddle with readjusting it during the night, as the pillows going into my nostrils did. I feel I am sleeping better than ever with it.

And since it fits -over- the nose instead of -under- the nose, once I lay down I feel that gravity is actually helping maintain the seal instead of working against it.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

mfignewton

Post by mfignewton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Now does this work while on your side and on your back?

Metter46

Post by Metter46 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I have been struggling to find a mask that I liked. Then the Wisp was introduced. So far this is the best that I have tried. Comfortable, light, very low leaks, easy to clean with few parts. I have tried the Swift Fx and its okay, the amara full face and did not like, the quatro FX which I could not stabilize and the Respironics True Blue nasal which is decent. I have found that I must wear a chin strap, actually a home made pap cap to keep from having a extremely dry mouth.

I would definitely reccomend giving the Wisp a shot.
Metterite

KenH

Post by KenH » Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I went from the Swift FX to the Wisp. I like it very well.......it does have a few quirks. I too think they need to resize the nose piece. I could not get the hang of uncliping to remove. I just pull it on. Don't how long before it stretches out of shape. It has a clip to take the hose off for potty breaks. I want it off to potty. Takes some figuring out how to put it on in the dark. One of the things I like the most is the exhaust vent blows upward. The FX blew straight out. I tried to use my FX one night ( thought I was not liking the Wisp) in less than 5 min I switched back. I give it a B+

patrick_a

Post by patrick_a » Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Been using mine for almost a full month. I like it and agree with the two people who rated it a B+. Also wish there was a size in between the s/m and large.

I'm a side sleeper 99% of the time. Still have small minor leaks that are easy to fix, then I fall right back asleep.

cobra4x4

Post by cobra4x4 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I've been using mine for 2 months and absolutely love it.

If you had used the search function and searched for Wisp it would have taken you to 2 or 3 threads about the mask instead of starting yet another thread on the subject.

Imasnorin

Post by Imasnorin » Fri May 10, 2013 4:19 pm

As I posted earlier my frame broke, just recd a whole new kit. Cushions and frame! Woo hoo!! So, I have a large and petite to trade for a s/m. Message me if interested.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Here's a question for the Wisp users:
Looking at the promotional pics from ResMed's site plus other internet vendors, it appears that the mask fits about a 1/2" down from the bridge of one's nose, thereby avoiding any contact in that area. The reason I ask is that due to various nose injuries over the years, I can't stand any prolonged pressure from nasal or FFMs directly on the bridge of my nose.

Can any of the Wisp's fans tell me if they get any discomfort along their nose or on the bridge of the nose while wearing it?. Does it really avoid that area? It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures on the internet... some show it near the bridge and other pics show it well below

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Here's a question for the Wisp users:
Looking at the promotional pics from ResMed's site plus other internet vendors, it appears that the mask fits about a 1/2" down from the bridge of one's nose, thereby avoiding any contact in that area. The reason I ask is that due to various nose injuries over the years, I can't stand any prolonged pressure from nasal or FFMs directly on the bridge of my nose.

Can any of the Wisp's fans tell me if they get any discomfort along their nose or on the bridge of the nose while wearing it?. Does it really avoid that area? It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures on the internet... some show it near the bridge and other pics show it well below
If by the bridge of the nose you mean the very top of the nose, I can tell you that it does not go up that high. Except for that spot about 1/2" down from the top, it doesn't really seem to touch the rest of my nose. Rather, it sort of "surrounds" it.

Once in awhile, I will inadvertently place the top of the mask too close to the top of my nose, in which case I can feel the bottom of the mask touch the bottom or sides of my nostrils, signaling me to move the whole triangle down a little so that it no longer touches my nostrils.

Regards, Nate

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm

mfignewton wrote:Now does this work while on your side and on your back?
The nosepiece does not touch anything when I lie on my left or right side because I have one of those CPAP head pillows that does not taper on the edges and has cutouts, so only my cheek and side of my head touches the pillow. My nose and mask just sort of project out into the air, so to speak.

Regards, Nate