WISP Nasal Mask from respironics.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RogerSC

Re: WISP Nasal Mask from respironics.

Post by RogerSC » Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 pm

The problem that I had with the Wisp was that when I had it adjusted so that it didn't leak much but was still comfortable, it seemed to want to slide up on my nose when I laid on my side (I'm a side sleeper). When it moves up on your nose, it starts to make it harder to breathe, since the bottom of the nose piece gets too close to your nostrils. Probably just me, but couldn't seem to make it work and be comfortable. Could be that my "right" size was in between the large and the next size down (M/S? Don't remember).

Anyways, back to the Swift FX. I'd really like something more comfortable but struck out with the Aloha, Wisp, and TAP PAP. Still looking *smile*.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

DJD52

Post by DJD52 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 pm

I found the Wisp really comfortable as far as the nasal cushion. It stayed put and did just hover. I had no problem on my side at all with a regular Latex pillow. I loved it but after a few nights the heavy straps of the headgear caused my neck issues and TMJ to flare up. I would like to try it again with a different pillow but I'm hesitant. BTW, I took the white snaps off. There is way too much stiff/thick material on the facial part of that headgear as it is for me, esp where you adjust it and the snaps weren't needed. If you don't mind headgear that adjust and stays put, the Wisp was very quiet and comfortable once I got it fit correctly.

DJ

mkirkwag

Post by mkirkwag » Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Day 1...so far I HATE it. There's a lot more hard stuff on my face than there was with my swift II. Those 4 arms are hard and dig into my (average sized - maybe a bit small) face. I also had a war with it because my heated hose is too heavy. I was using the bit of elastic at the top to hold the hose in place. The weight of the heated hose was such with the light weight mask that it was pulling the mask right off my head. I had to clamp it down so tightly that frame was biting into my nose. When I finally gave up on that part it was a little better, but by then I was obsessed with all that hard stuff biting my face. Plus it squashes and hurts my ears. It came with no instructions for fitting or how to use the stupid clips, which completely defeated me. I must have had it off 6 or 7 times and had to restring the velcro in the dark and by feel each time. Plus the elasticized headgear pulls very hard on my thinning hair - not pleased about that. It seemed much better when I tried it on. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this thing but I have to, so if anyone can tell me how to use these clips, I'd be grateful - if embarrassed to be defeated by such a simple thing.

DJD52

Post by DJD52 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:56 pm

mkirkwag wrote:Day 1...so far I HATE it. There's a lot more hard stuff on my face than there was with my swift II. Those 4 arms are hard and dig into my (average sized - maybe a bit small) face. I also had a war with it because my heated hose is too heavy. I was using the bit of elastic at the top to hold the hose in place. The weight of the heated hose was such with the light weight mask that it was pulling the mask right off my head. I had to clamp it down so tightly that frame was biting into my nose. When I finally gave up on that part it was a little better, but by then I was obsessed with all that hard stuff biting my face. Plus it squashes and hurts my ears. It came with no instructions for fitting or how to use the stupid clips, which completely defeated me. I must have had it off 6 or 7 times and had to restring the velcro in the dark and by feel each time. Plus the elasticized headgear pulls very hard on my thinning hair - not pleased about that. It seemed much better when I tried it on. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this thing but I have to, so if anyone can tell me how to use these clips, I'd be grateful - if embarrassed to be defeated by such a simple thing.
I'm pretty much a newbie to Cpap but maybe can help a little till someone else steps in.

I took those white clips off. I just ran the strap through the hole and fastened it with the velcro on it. No snap worries. This mask should really be very loose. I don't even loosen my bottom strap to put this mask on or take it off, but if I do it's not enough to literally unfasten that bottom adjustment. Once the top strap is adjusted comfortably loose/no leaks it shouldn't need readjusted. I use the strap on top of my head to hold the Wisp hose w/o problem and my mask is fit very lose and doesn't need adjustment.
I have an issue with the heavy straps of the frame on my face also, but am going to add padded covers and see if that helps me deal with it.
There are many great pointers on how to fit the wisp comfortably w/o leaks in this group. Try a search on this site for the Wisp and read the posts. (and the prior posts in this thread) I'm attaching the site to Cpap.com for the Wisp, there are two videos there that I hope help you with your Wisp.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/wisp-n ... ck-pr.html

DJ

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat May 11, 2013 5:38 pm

mkirkwag wrote:Day 1...so far I HATE it. There's a lot more hard stuff on my face than there was with my swift II. Those 4 arms are hard and dig into my (average sized - maybe a bit small) face. I also had a war with it because my heated hose is too heavy. I was using the bit of elastic at the top to hold the hose in place. The weight of the heated hose was such with the light weight mask that it was pulling the mask right off my head. I had to clamp it down so tightly that frame was biting into my nose. When I finally gave up on that part it was a little better, but by then I was obsessed with all that hard stuff biting my face. Plus it squashes and hurts my ears. It came with no instructions for fitting or how to use the stupid clips, which completely defeated me. I must have had it off 6 or 7 times and had to restring the velcro in the dark and by feel each time. Plus the elasticized headgear pulls very hard on my thinning hair - not pleased about that. It seemed much better when I tried it on. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this thing but I have to, so if anyone can tell me how to use these clips, I'd be grateful - if embarrassed to be defeated by such a simple thing.
To add to what DJD said:

1) If the straps are touching your ears you do not have it on right. Take a look at the illustrations. The bottom straps are to be placed below your ears and the top straps above them;

2) Not sure what you mean by the arms being hard. I have the silicone choice and I don't even feel them. The front portion is sort of a suspension bridge - it should extend out to hold the nosepiece in place. Much of it is not even intended to touch your face;

3) As for using "the stupid clips" I think of this as a "set it and forget it" mask. Once you have the straps adjusted to a comfortable fit, leave them alone and pull the mask on over your head like a cap or hat.

4) I've tried the option of hooking the hose over my head with several different masks and never liked it on any of them. I just use one of those hose hangers on the headboard of the bed, pull the mask-end of the hose as far through the hanger as it will go and let the excess lay on my chest when on my back or over my shoulder when on my side.

If it seemed better in the store, my guess is that you just need to find the right adjustments and then leave them there. And do not over-tighten! Good luck!

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

mfignewton

Post by mfignewton » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 am

I wore my WISP mask for the first time last night it seemed alright but i could feel water in the mask not sure if it was from sweat or the humidifier was on to high, which is was on 4 out of 5. Also later into the night it seemed like it was harder to breath not sure if i was getting a stuffy nose and that was the problem but i had to take it off. I might have to readjust it might be too tight on my nose. Any suggestions.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 am

mfignewton wrote:I wore my WISP mask for the first time last night it seemed alright but i could feel water in the mask not sure if it was from sweat or the humidifier was on to high, which is was on 4 out of 5. Also later into the night it seemed like it was harder to breath not sure if i was getting a stuffy nose and that was the problem but i had to take it off. I might have to readjust it might be too tight on my nose. Any suggestions.
You're right - it sounds like it was on your nose too tight. I would suggest loosening it up, turn on the pressure and lie down. Often, even though it seems a little too loose while I'm sitting up, once I turn on the pressure and get into a horizontal position, the nosepiece "gloms" down and perfects the seal all on its own. I think that is the way it is designed to work. If it doesn't seal immediately on its own while I am lying down, I just pull it slightly away and let it go back and it seals itself the second time.

Regards, Nate

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 am

I had been thinking, "Why can't the Wisp have Bella loops?" Last night I found out.
I cut up a slightly nicked pair of FX pillows to create a frame to fit around the the Wisp cushion where the original frame attaches,
and connected my Bella loops to the FX tabs. It actually looked pretty good; but once I had it on, I could see the truth.
I understand now why the Wisp frame is a bit on the stiff side--My hacked BellaWisp is horribly unstable!
Nearly as bad as an uninflated Elan! I reassembled my Wisp with the silicone frame and headgear, and had an excellent night's sleep.

JENNIFER_SUSAN

Post by JENNIFER_SUSAN » Sat May 18, 2013 1:58 pm

mkirkwag wrote:Day 1...so far I HATE it. There's a lot more hard stuff on my face than there was with my swift II. Those 4 arms are hard and dig into my (average sized - maybe a bit small) face. I also had a war with it because my heated hose is too heavy. I was using the bit of elastic at the top to hold the hose in place. The weight of the heated hose was such with the light weight mask that it was pulling the mask right off my head. I had to clamp it down so tightly that frame was biting into my nose. When I finally gave up on that part it was a little better, but by then I was obsessed with all that hard stuff biting my face. Plus it squashes and hurts my ears. It came with no instructions for fitting or how to use the stupid clips, which completely defeated me. I must have had it off 6 or 7 times and had to restring the velcro in the dark and by feel each time. Plus the elasticized headgear pulls very hard on my thinning hair - not pleased about that. It seemed much better when I tried it on bed frames. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this thing but I have to, so if anyone can tell me how to use these clips, I'd be grateful - if embarrassed to be defeated by such a simple thing.

I also discovered the Wisp truly agreeable the extent that the nasal pad. It stayed put and did just drift. I had no issue on my side whatsoever with a consistent Latex pad. I cherished it however after a couple of nights the substantial straps of the headgear made my neck issues and Tmj erupt. I might want to attempt it again with an alternate pad however I'm reluctant. Btw, I took the white snaps off. There is an abundant excess stiff/thick material on the facial part of that headgear as it is for me, esp where you modify it and the snaps weren't wanted. If its all the same to you headgear that alter and stays put, the Wisp was extremely tranquil and agreeable once I got it fit rightly.

patrick_a

Post by patrick_a » Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Also, don't overlook the importance of having a clean seal. Anytime I forget to wipe down the mask or clean my face, the leaks will rise.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 pm

I noticed the frame of my wisp grips the sides of my face, suspending the cushion
just next to my nose, instead of squidged up against it, piggy style.
It sort of rides my face like a little bareback rider, and if I gently bend it a little
to make it just a tad "bowlegged", it's more comfortable.

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon May 27, 2013 1:10 pm

mkirkwag wrote:Day 1...so far I HATE it. There's a lot more hard stuff on my face than there was with my swift II. Those 4 arms are hard and dig into my (average sized - maybe a bit small) face.
Here's another suggestion for that:

http://www.padacheek.com/Wisp.html
WISP Side Strap Pads
These strap pads soften the frame of the WISP and make it more comfortable
against your cheeks. The pads are made of Micro Fleece and are so soft and
durable. They are washable and re-usable. The installation is easy and
instructions are included with each pair. The two tubes slide over the 'arms' of the
frame and the velcro loop wraps securely around the frame near the seal. These
pads extend over the buckle area of the straps, but you can easily slide them up
and out of the way to make adjustments to the straps.
Good luck!

Nate

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Can anyone tell me how the large WISP pillow compares size-wise with the large Swift FX nasal pillow?

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm

greyhound wrote:Can anyone tell me how the large WISP pillow compares size-wise with the large Swift FX nasal pillow?
I don't think it is possible to compare them. The Swift FX nasal pillows are sized according to the diameter of your nostril openings; whereas the WISP is sized according to the outside diameter of your entire nose - the WISP, if properly placed, does not even come in contact with your nostrils. There are no nasal pillows inside the WISP nasal cushion - it is just a triangular-shaped cushion with an inflation-sealing lip.

Maybe there is some rough correlation between the outside diameter of one's nose and the size of one's nostril openings, but not necessarily. My guess is that a person could have a big nose with small nostrils or a small nose with big nostrils, or anything in between!

Your original purchase of the WISP ("Fit Pack") should come with all 3 size nosepieces sealed in the package, so the chance of getting one nosepiece that fits comfortably is pretty good.

See: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/wisp-n ... ck-pr.html

Regards, Nate

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 pm

NateS wrote:
greyhound wrote:Can anyone tell me how the large WISP pillow compares size-wise with the large Swift FX nasal pillow?
I don't think it is possible to compare them. The Swift FX nasal pillows are sized according to the diameter of your nostril openings; whereas the WISP is sized according to the outside diameter of your entire nose - the WISP, if properly placed, does not even come in contact with your nostrils. There are no nasal pillows inside the WISP nasal cushion - it is just a triangular-shaped cushion with an inflation-sealing lip.

Maybe there is some rough correlation between the outside diameter of one's nose and the size of one's nostril openings, but not necessarily. My guess is that a person could have a big nose with small nostrils or a small nose with big nostrils, or anything in between!

Regards, Nate
It's true, there seems to be no correlation with the size- I am a petite sized person and I use the petite size pillows on the swift fx and with the wisp, the measuring guide says I need to use the large size for the Wisp!
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep