AHI Increase

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DarrylM

AHI Increase

Post by DarrylM » Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I am in my 5th week of therapy (ResMed S9, Escape Auto). My first ten nights were wonderful. All my AHI numbers were under 1. Then a shift upward occurred and continues. Now my numbers never go below 1. Once I recorded a 5.6. Otherwise my number bounces around mainly between 2 and 4. I feel so much better than I have for years but that first ten nights spoiled me a little. Those nights under AHI 1 were clearly better than what I am experiencing now. How can I get back to those blissful early numbers?

ArmandXP

Re: AHI Increase

Post by ArmandXP » Sun May 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Mine were that way, also. Now I usually get between a 1-2 AHI. I still feel great so I don't worry too much. I've noticed it because sometimes my mask slips off a little or when I'm awake and try to go back to sleep. I don't worry too much because I still feel great every day!!! Someone else will chime in with better knowledge than me......Good luck!!!
Absolutely no regrets!
I never did mind the little things.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 pm

You may want to consider this as positive progress.

You are finally exploring the deeper stages of sleep that provide restoration to your body. In deeper sleep you relax more and are more prone to apnea's.

The numbers are secondary to how you feel. Don't get obsessed with the numbers, just enjoy feeling great.

cobra4x4

Post by cobra4x4 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Its quite common for patients to start feeling worse (Numbers get worse as well) about a month into treatment as your body goes through changes.
Don't worry too much as it will all work its self out, just keep an eye on your leaks especially mouth breathing (most people will have their mouth fall open when in deep sleep).

You will know if you've had a real bad night requiring investigation because you will feel like hell.

Keep up the good work.

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks. My machine provides a daily AHI but nothing that I can find on leaks. I hope my DME will let me switch to a machine that provides more data.

tbinbny

Post by tbinbny » Tue May 07, 2013 4:26 am

DarrylM wrote:Thanks. My machine provides a daily AHI but nothing that I can find on leaks. I hope my DME will let me switch to a machine that provides more data.
I believe your machine has all of that data, you just need the software to pull it up. I (like many here) use sleepyhead software. It is easy to use and gives you more info than what is displayed on the machine LED. Look up Pugsy on here and she will set you up. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck, sounds like you are on the right path.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 am

Under 5 is fantastic. Don't be so hard on yourself

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

tbinbny wrote: I believe your machine has all of that data, you just need the software to pull it up. I (like many here) use sleepyhead software. It is easy to use and gives you more info than what is displayed on the machine LED.
No, unfortunately in this case the presence of an AHI is all that the S9 Escape Auto will give as far as efficacy data.
The S9 Escape Auto gathers...hours of use...gross AHI and average pressure (or 95 % pressure I don't remember which).
That's all it gathers. No leak, no graphs, no flow rate, no AHI breakdown into categories.
It is better than the S9 Escape which only gathers hours of use but not by much. The event category breakdown is important IMHO along with leak rate. The other stuff we could probably do without if we had to.
Leaks...if leaks are excessive and we don't know it then the AHI numbers are worthless.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks Pugsy. I just got off the phone with my DME. Told him I am being made fun of at the CPAP playground, my machine disparaged as a brick and all. I trade in my Escape or the ResMed Autoset on Monday. Can't wait to start trying to decipher my graphs and such.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

DarrylM wrote:Thanks Pugsy. I just got off the phone with my DME. Told him I am being made fun of at the CPAP playground, my machine disparaged as a brick and all. I trade in my Escape or the ResMed Autoset on Monday. Can't wait to start trying to decipher my graphs and such.

Excellent news!

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm

If you haven't changed pillows yet, I would recommend it.

Kenwood

Post by Kenwood » Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 am

DarrylM wrote:Thanks Pugsy. I just got off the phone with my DME. Told him I am being made fun of at the CPAP playground, my machine disparaged as a brick and all. I trade in my Escape or the ResMed Autoset on Monday. Can't wait to start trying to decipher my graphs and such.
This post made me laugh...."I am being made fun of at the CPAP playground"[/u] Thats so awesome you can trade in that brick. Once you show us a graph....we will show you the "secret handshake"!