Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

Post by 49er » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Lrebh wrote: Surgery is Thursday and the CT showed no evidence of it having spread. We are hopeful he will be cured after removing his kidney and ureter.
Prayers for your husband and you. So many cancers are treatable today. May your husband's surgery be a total success and his recovery be rapid.
+100

btlflpztk

Post by btlflpztk » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 am

I expressed the same concerns and got brushed off as another "loonie" with nothing better to do than worry about the trivial. It is not trivial to me. Lung Cancer is a terrible doom. The mad rush to sell a CPAP (and lifetime supplies) to everyone on the planet seems taking precedence over a serious and warranted investigation of the dangerous plastic ester smells literally forced into lungs for hours by CPAP to the point they get absorbed and linger all day long. Surely not good.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 am

If you can provide ONE legitimate research paper (of relatively recent age, like this decade) to back up your worries, I'd be thrilled to see it. This is arrant nonsense!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 am

btlflpztk wrote: got brushed off as another "loonie"

Goodbye!

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:28 pm

btlflpztk wrote:I expressed the same concerns and got brushed off as another "loonie" with nothing better to do than worry about the trivial. It is not trivial to me. Lung Cancer is a terrible doom. The mad rush to sell a CPAP (and lifetime supplies) to everyone on the planet seems taking precedence over a serious and warranted investigation of the dangerous plastic ester smells literally forced into lungs for hours by CPAP to the point they get absorbed and linger all day long. Surely not good.
I would also like to see research backing up your claim. But no matter what, if you or a love one have developed lung cancer, you have my deepest sympathy and hopefully, a quick and speedy recovery. I can't imagine dealing with that.

49er

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm

btlflpztk wrote:I expressed the same concerns and got brushed off as another "loonie" with nothing better to do than worry about the trivial. It is not trivial to me. Lung Cancer is a terrible doom. The mad rush to sell a CPAP (and lifetime supplies) to everyone on the planet seems taking precedence over a serious and warranted investigation of the dangerous plastic ester smells literally forced into lungs for hours by CPAP to the point they get absorbed and linger all day long. Surely not good.
Yep, you're just another "loonie".......crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!"
Such a pathetic disjointed rant of NOTHING.
This nitwit probably doesn't even use CPAP therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Yep, you're just another "loonie".......crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!"

Den

Den,

As one who is so helpful to people many times, I don't understand your anger in this case. If a loved one of yours had cancer and unfortunately ranted about it on a board, would you want that person to be treated that way?

Of course, the cpap machine doesn't cause cancer but do you really think anyone is going to take that person seriously? And if they do, it is on them.

And by the way, even folks who are loony are human beings. Just saying.

49er
Last edited by 49er on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JQLewis

Post by JQLewis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Dr. Park just posted an article on his blog which discusses what he now regards as a proven link between untreated OSA and cancer.

http://doctorstevenpark.com/how-sleep-a ... en+Park%29

So there seems to be a growing body of evidence that CPAP can help prevent cancer. I know of no study that suggests the opposite. I'd certainly be interested if such a study exists.

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:54 pm

JQLewis wrote:Dr. Park just posted an article on his blog which discusses what he now regards as a proven link between untreated OSA and cancer.

http://doctorstevenpark.com/how-sleep-a ... en+Park%29

So there seems to be a growing body of evidence that CPAP can help prevent cancer. I know of no study that suggests the opposite. I'd certainly be interested if such a study exists.
Interesting JQLewis. My dad died of cancer in late middle age and I think he possibly had untreated apnea. At the same time, he ignored several warnings that he needed to go the doctor so I am not totally convinced the untreated apnea was the culprit. I would have to see more information regarding what Dr. Park has found regarding the two conditions.

Thanks for posting this.

49er

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm

49er wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

Den,

As one who is so helpful to people many times, I don't understand your anger in this case. If a loved one of yours had cancer and unfortunately ranted about it on a board, would you want that person to be treated that way?

Of course, the cpap machine doesn't cause cancer but do you really think anyone is going to take that person seriously? And if they do, it is on them.

And by the way, even folks who are loony are human beings. Just saying.

49er
I've had quite a few friends and relatives (and relatives of relatives) die of cancer in my lifetime, so don't even try to go there. (the most recent died last month on August 26th)
I have plenty of sympathy and empathy for those who have cancer. My wife had breast cancer surgery (lumpectomy) in 2010 and so far, so good. Her situation could be directly tied to HRT prescribed by doctors over the years.

This rant is just using "hot button" words and providing nothing meaningful.......nor any studies cited to prove their point.
I don't know what they think the "solution" is. There has NEVER been any credible evidence put forth that BPA has had any negative effects on the XPAP users. If I was REALLY worried about it, I'd be making my own HH tank out of glass or something else. Maybe this is another situation where cool, "passover" humidification is better than heated. So, in that respect, I'm ahead of the game and have another reason not to worry.

You're "just saying"......I"m "just saying".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 pm

As a semi-related issue regarding "cancer", I've had a long-time suspicion that "radio waves" could be responsible for the increased incidences of cancer. There were stories about people who used the earlier cell phones and had cancers of the brain and areas near where the phones were positioned.
But, lots of good that would do to rant about that......to try to get wireless communications shut down. Ain't gonna happen, ain't gonna try. If it IS true, nobody would do anything about it......there's too much money driving the industries. Same thing with the "BPA" issue. It's not just CPAP machines that use it. Your potential exposure is everywhere, all the time.

Den

User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Cancer is frightening, relentless, and merciless,
It is poorly understood, and thus feeds rumors of all kinds.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:42 pm

The people who exaggerate the dangers of insignificant or nonexistent risks get people killed because they draw attention away from the actual health risks.

There are actual, real cancer risks and other risks we can do things about. If we waste our resources fighting imaginary cancer risks, we spend less time fighting the real cancer risks that we can actually avoid.

It seems almost everything you buy these days has a label "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Yes, if you grind up the circuit board in your new cell phone and put it in your cereal, it may be harmful to your health. It's become meaningless nanny state nonsense. They don't make edible cell phones.

Worse than that, it cheapens warning labels. People get used to nanny state warning labels and ignore them when they are warnings of legitimate risks. The warning label on something that actually is dangerous like a household cleaner gets ignored just like the bogus "cellphones cause cancer" label.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:00 am

Good post AA!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:25 am

archangle wrote: The people who exaggerate the dangers of insignificant or nonexistent risks get people killed because they draw attention away from the actual health risks.

There are actual, real cancer risks and other risks we can do things about. If we waste our resources fighting imaginary cancer risks, we spend less time fighting the real cancer risks that we can actually avoid.

It seems almost everything you buy these days has a label "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Yes, if you grind up the circuit board in your new cell phone and put it in your cereal, it may be harmful to your health. It's become meaningless nanny state nonsense. They don't make edible cell phones.

Worse than that, it cheapens warning labels. People get used to nanny state warning labels and ignore them when they are warnings of legitimate risks. The warning label on something that actually is dangerous like a household cleaner gets ignored just like the bogus "cellphones cause cancer" label.

ChicagoGramps