Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Christine L

Re: Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

Post by Christine L » Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Here are the major causes of cancer.

Growing older
Tobacco
Sunlight (skin cancer)
Some viruses and bacteria
Certain hormones
Family history of cancer
Alcohol
Poor diet, lack of physical activity, or being overweight

You can control tobacco, sunlight, alcohol, diet, physical activity and weight. You can also control sexual activity where there are viruses and bacteria that cause cancer.

Take command of what you can control.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Black Shampoo wrote:I really wish there had been more serious responses to this. No offense to "older" members of the forum, but this matters to me because I'm not in the "twilight years," I've got decade after decade of sucking on this thing ahead of me. Lung cancer is a hell of a way to go when you've watched a family member do it.
What would you consider "serious"? Like from those who may agree with you?
Well, there aren't many who take the BPA issue seriously, so that may be why you haven't had those types of responses. Also, this subject has been hashed out so many times on the forum, people are tired of hearing about it. There are many more things that could or will kill you. And, in the end, we're all going to die of something.......someday.

Den

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Wulfman... wrote: And, in the end, we're all going to die of something.......someday.

Den

So true Den.

Now I must go down to the local senior citizens club seeing as we are all in our 'twilight years'. Despite the fact I'm only 4 years older than the OP

Eddie Fasolino

Post by Eddie Fasolino » Wed May 08, 2013 5:21 am

mgaggie wrote:

Now I must go down to the local senior citizens club seeing as we are all in our 'twilight years'. Despite the fact I'm only 4 years older than the OP
So the OP is only 32 and he is already whining his head off? What the heck will he be like at my age?

He claims to have been making a six-figure income and his rent was only $900 per month. He should have salted away plenty enough money to buy the latest greatest new CPAP setup. Feelings of sympathy and acts of charity here should only go so far!
Eddie (The Sandman) Fasolino

Ravensclown

Post by Ravensclown » Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 am

Nasty end to a fair question. -ease up a bit on the sarcasm, judgements and criticism.
Resmed S9 with Swift FX

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 am

Ravensclown wrote:Nasty end to a fair question. -ease up a bit on the sarcasm, judgements and criticism.
I totally agree Ravensclown. Thank you so much for saying that.

49er

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 am

Eddie, that was unnecessary.

Yes I was a bit mean, but I do take offence at being called in my 'twilight years' when I'm not much older than the OP.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 am

Black Shampoo has done a lot of complaining...but if anyone is interested......This is a FYI only....From Resmed's web site....

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... 051111.pdf

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 am

mgaggie wrote:Eddie, that was unnecessary.

Yes I was a bit mean, but I do take offence at being called in my 'twilight years' when I'm not much older than the OP.
Even though the OP is 32, I think her/his remark reminded me of the times when people were saying folks over 30 couldn't be trusted several years ago. By the way, I just read that the person who coined that phrase is now 60.

Well, I guess since I am 57, I must be ancient

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am

LSAT wrote:Black Shampoo has done a lot of complaining...but if anyone is interested......This is a FYI only....From Resmed's web site....

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... 051111.pdf
Thanks for the link LSAT.

Is there a quota on complaining:)? By the way, I recall a 1st time poster getting pummeled because she didn't have the right attitude:) So I am not sure it is an issue of how many times someone complains. Just saying.

49er

arkie

Post by arkie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I have concerns about breathing through plastic and I'm nearly 60. There is good science that long term exposure to the chemicals in plastic are harmful. The health problems associated with long term apnea will definitely keep me using my machine, but wish there were alternatives to those of us who have these concerns. Certainly it would be possible to make a water reservoir from stainless steel or pyrex. I appreciate the post about the cloth nasal pillow and may try that, although not sure I want to breath in polyester either. Not as concerned about silicon as it's quite inert, but all the supplies I have seen are silicone AND plastic. Maybe natural rubber for the tubes? Is there some entrepreneur out there that wants to make some money off the growing number of folks on CPAP that have these concerns?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:49 pm

arkie wrote:I have concerns about breathing through plastic and I'm nearly 60. There is good science that long term exposure to the chemicals in plastic are harmful.
!!!!NO!!!
!!!THERE!!!
!!!ISN'T!!!!

Not in the quantities of these chemicals that you are likely to be exposed to, especially from a CPAP machine.

Just because some nutjob gets an article posted in a major misinfotainment media outlet, doesn't constitute "good science."

Even when there is "good science," if you actually read the papers, the actual probability of a problem hitting you are quite small. A study may very well show a "statistically significant" result even if the risk is 1 in 10,000.
arkie wrote:Is there some entrepreneur out there that wants to make some money off the growing number of folks on CPAP that have these concerns?
There are plenty of quacks selling apnea related stuff, so I'm sure there is someone who'd love to take advantages of the fools.

Maybe I should start a business myself. I'll take normal CPAP hoses, water tanks, and masks, hook them up to a blower and blow air through them for a while. "ArchMasks have been flushed with a full 20 pounds of our special organic, natural mountain air. Shipped to you in special gluten free paper packaging."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

ems

Post by ems » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:05 pm

archangle wrote:"ArchMasks have been flushed with a full 20 pounds of our special organic, natural mountain air. Shipped to you in special gluten free paper packaging."
Well, you may as well be first... it's a sure thing and I know you'll have many takers.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

You are surrounded by some form of plastic every day, all day, all over, and are usually completely unaware/oblivious of it, but the Cpap co's are medical and stringently monitored, and could not get away with anything for five minutes (let alone stay in business) if it were going to eventually affect you... this is not a case of toxic water where children play or anything like it, just an extremely small amount of carefully chosen stuff to help you breathe. If you're thinking about BPA in baby bottles - those have been changed out and the ones that still contain BPA won't make enough difference to anyone unless they ingest it in enormous amounts for long times. We are not lab mice.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

When the plastic smell of new equipment bothers me, I just use more essential oil on the pad behind the machine.
This usually works, and is only needed a for a few hours, minimum.
If it were hazardous, my eyes would water.
A little plastic smell is not as urgent as a dead canary!
(dang it, where did that bird go off to? --Uh-oh, bad kitty!)