Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

Post by 49er » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:42 am

Archangle,

I didn't say he was as he was simply reposting some research that looked credible although I didn't study it thoroughly.

And by the way, not all ENTs are horrific monsters who want to cut open everyone. And they aren't the only doctors who think CPAPers shouldn't get data capable machines.

And speaking of so called experts, they denied for years that psych meds have any withdrawal symptoms and if you did, you should be over it in two weeks. Now, there is researching finding out that isn't true. So I don't necessarily take the word of someone just because they are a so called expert.

Finally, I hadn't even thought about the cell phone issue for quite awhile until Den posted his initial post on the radiation issue and then I wondered momentarily if I was making a mistake by only using my cellphone and not just the landline. But it didn't last long.

49er

archangle wrote:
49er wrote:Just found this blog entry by an ENT:

http://fauquierent.blogspot.com/2011/02 ... rd-do.html

One private practice ENT is hardly a credible source of information on the effects of cell phone radiation. Remember that many ENT's who think that UPPP is a good idea, and often don't see any need for CPAP'ers to have fully data capable machines.

Practicing physicians in general have a really bad grasp of science, especially mathematics and probability. They are fairly good at assembly line medicine. Luckily, most of us only need assembly line medicine most of the time.

The true experts who do actual research almost never find a link with health problems from cell phone exposure. Even when they do find some a difference in cancer rates, the difference is small, and usually of questionable statistical significance, especially when you ignore the 100 studies that show no effect and cherry pick the one study in 100 that shows some very minor effect.

Yes, you can worry about some highly improbable risk of cell phone cancer, or plastic fumes. You can worry about lots of things.

There are lots of car accidents, you should stop driving, or at least not use the car unless absolutely necessary.
Flu kills 20,000 people a year in the US, better get vaccinated. No wait, there are a few people who react to vaccines, better not.
Mosquitoes kill 1 million people a year worldwide. Better put on the insect repellant. No wait, there's this article saying there might be some risk.
Shaking hands can spread deadly germs. I'd better not shake hands any more.
Electricity causes a lot of fires, better not use it.
Lots of people fall in the shower. Better shower only when absolutely necessary.
Germs get spread by people in restaurants. Better not eat out.
A few people have severe reactions to peanuts, shellfish, and tree nuts. Better not eat them.
Sunlight causes cancer. Better use sunscreen. No wait, there's a study that questions the safety of sunscreens.
There may be radon in my house, better open the windows and turn on a fan. No wait, there are allergens and germs out there.
Gas furnaces can create CO, better not use that.
People die from paper cuts. Better quit reading.
Your air conditioner can grow deadly germs and molds in the ducting, better stop using that.
Cooking food creates carcinogens, stop cooking food.
Raw vegetables can contain salmonella and other germs, stop eating them.
Mad cow disease, no beef or lamb.
Sometimes there are deadly germs in drinking water. Better start boiling all my water before I drink it.
Compact fluorescent bulbs have mercury, better not use them.
Your computer and mouse have lead in them. Better get rid of that.
Paint produces volatile organic compounds. Better not paint the house or live in a painted house.
Kissing can spread germs. Better not kiss anymore. No sex, either.
Pregnancy can be dangerous. Better not have kids.
Kids (and other family members) can bring home germs. Better live alone.

Spend that effort you're using to worry about improbable threats like cellphones and plastic fumes and work on real things you can change like maintaining a healthy weight, eating right, driving carefully, exercising, home safety, proper healthcare, CPAP usage, etc.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:04 am

We eliminated our land line in the 80's. I can't believe people still have them!
The spam calls were enough to drive me bonkers.
Now if I get one, I permanently block the number, or hit reject if it is unlisted.
Sometimes I pick up, just to "tear them a new one" --just for giggles.

I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 am

Cancer - pick the right parents - genetics can make a difference.
Don't drink anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't eat anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't touch anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't breathe anything - it might be contaminated.

Other then that you are probably safe.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 am

Clinical evidence exists that stress contributes to cancer.
--so if you have a job . . . :shock:

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Clinical evidence exists that stress contributes to cancer.

Sorry for being skeptical but that sort of reminds me of the what I feel is BS in claiming that having a positive attitude cures cancer. I had a relative who had the most positive attitude on this earth. She still died of cancer.

49er

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:33 am

BlackSpinner wrote:Cancer - pick the right parents - genetics can make a difference.
Don't drink anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't eat anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't touch anything - it might be contaminated.
Don't breathe anything - it might be contaminated.

Other then that you are probably safe.

you forgot about the hazards to your eyes caused by sunlight, so don't look at anything either....

and to your ears from loud noises... so don't listen to anything.

mecheng

Post by mecheng » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 am

I worked in the rubber and plastics industry for 15 years and the Pharmecutical industry for five years and exposed to asbestos and other chemicals during intervening years. You can still smell the processing when you pass those factories today and I knew people that worked on extruders and plastic injection machines for years breathing in fumes from plastics and rubbers that are far in excess of anything we are ever likely to encounter from our machines unless we set them alight. I therefore think that the risk from our machines is imperceptible. If there was a problem people working in these environments would be the first to succumb and I know of no evidence of this at any of the factories in which I worked. I may be at risk from asbestos but after 30 years fortunately there is no sign of this, I think genetics are probably everyone's biggest threat.

Wife as above. Respironics Wisp Nasal mask
Using Sleepyhead and Encore Basic software and CMS 50L pulse ox. Withing's pulse O2 and Sleep as Android for sound.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:41 am

It seems we have thousands and thousands of people on life support and remaining there for over 20 years. They breathe in air at high pressures through plastics and in the sixties and fifties through rubber components. If their cancer rate was high then a lot of studies would have been done using their numbers. Many would have received their PHds from such statistics. Anybody see large studies of these?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 am

Pesser wrote:It seems we have thousands and thousands of people on life support and remaining there for over 20 years. They breathe in air at high pressures through plastics and in the sixties and fifties through rubber components. If their cancer rate was high then a lot of studies would have been done using their numbers. Many would have received their PHds from such statistics. Anybody see large studies of these?

maybe they were at the bottom of the pile ;)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:14 am

Different people are sensitive/allergic to different things;
while some people can smoke for decades with no visible harm.
Some get cancer from little or no (known) exposure, while it appears "spontaneously" in others.
I believe there are many factors that have not yet been identified (and too little is being done).
There is clinical evidence that a stressful life is often a shorter life, but you are right, 49er,
much disease progresses in spite of all we can do/avoid doing.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:37 pm

It's not plastics, chemicals or cellphones.

The most significant risk factor is age. According to cancer researcher Robert A. Weinberg, "If we lived long enough, sooner or later we all would get cancer." Essentially all of the increase in cancer rates between prehistoric times and people who died in England between 1901 and 1905 is due to increased lifespans

A good list of risk factors is here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiolo ... sk_factors

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Cereal Killer wrote:It's not plastics, chemicals or cellphones.

The most significant risk factor is age. According to cancer researcher Robert A. Weinberg, "If we lived long enough, sooner or later we all would get cancer." Essentially all of the increase in cancer rates between prehistoric times and people who died in England between 1901 and 1905 is due to increased lifespans

A good list of risk factors is here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiolo ... sk_factors

Yes because they have found evidence of cancer in Egyptian mummies.

Once you got past childhood and survived your early adulthood (and childbirth for women) your reasons for dying were the same as today - cancer, heart disease, strokes and such at a similar age.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:51 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Once you got past childhood and survived your early adulthood (and childbirth for women) your reasons for dying were the same as today - cancer, heart disease, strokes and such at a similar age.

more likely to get killed in traffic though. nobody ever talks about that :)

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:Once you got past childhood and survived your early adulthood (and childbirth for women) your reasons for dying were the same as today - cancer, heart disease, strokes and such at a similar age.

more likely to get killed in traffic though. nobody ever talks about that :)

Those bloody chariots were dangerous and those young bucks on their fast horses!!!!!

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:11 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Clinical evidence exists that stress contributes to cancer.

Actually thats not true but widely believed nevertheless and repeated on the internet everywhere.
If one cares to read the more scholarly reviews, you will find that its not true.
What might be, is that stress can be harmful once one has cancer, but for years, many have incorrectly believed that stress can cause Breast Cancer and some even went as far as to suggest that it was the major factor for BC.

That said, like any subject, if one has an agenda and wishes to delve deep enough, they will locate the backers of a review that suggests such, that stress is cancer causing but as I stated earlier, the more scholarly researchers have long ago disregarded this theory.

What some might be thinking of is that it has been widely believed that long term stress can help to create poor health overall but never has that extended itself as far as cancer.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme