Starting Point without Script

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Metter46

Starting Point without Script

Post by Metter46 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm

My spouse went last night for a titration study and it will be about two weeks before our Doc gets the report so that he can write her script. I will request that he write it for the same machine as the one I am now on (7 days on Resmed S9 Autoset) and it is working great. With both of us on Cpap, I figured it would be good insurance for us to have a backup machine with both being treated for Apnea. So, today I ordered a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine with SmartFlex and humidifier. She is not resting well at all and extremely tired at all times. I thought it would be a good idea to set the new machine up and let her get used to it during the 2 week wait. Is this a good idea? If so, what would be a good safe starting point. The machine will come set at 4.0 cm - 20.0 cm. From what I have read on this site, this does not seem to be a good starting point for an unknown.

Any comments on a good safe setup are appreciated.
Metterite

cosmo

Re: Starting Point without Script

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Let her use your Autoset machine and you use the Intellipap.

Metter46

Post by Metter46 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm

cosmo wrote:Let her use your Autoset machine and you use the Intellipap.
I could do that, however, it would skew my data and at the current time I am using the S9 as straigt Cpap. I have the clinician's manual for the Intellipap and feel very comfortable in setting it up. Thanks
Metterite

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 pm

If you have compliance it's probably a good idea to use it yourself then.
Last edited by cosmo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Start her at 6 minimum and 10 to 12 maximum on the Devilbiss.
6 is more comfortable in general as far as breathing than the 4 cm.
12 maximum will prevent any runaway high pressures should they happen (unlikely) which could cause a problem comfort wise.

Get her used to using the machine and we will worry about the "right" pressure later.
Start with something that is modest and easy to adjust to.
She has to get the sleep first and it's hard enough the first few nights as it is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Metter46

Post by Metter46 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:Start her at 6 minimum and 10 to 12 maximum on the Devilbiss.
6 is more comfortable in general as far as breathing than the 4 cm.
12 maximum will prevent any runaway high pressures should they happen (unlikely) which could cause a problem comfort wise.

Get her used to using the machine and we will worry about the "right" pressure later.
Start with something that is modest and easy to adjust to.
She has to get the sleep first and it's hard enough the first few nights as it is.
Thanks, that's what I am looking for and to me that sounds safe and sound. Now, I will start reading the Clinician manual and be ready for arrival tomorrow.
Metterite

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm

that's great advice that you got from Pugsy (as usual) .........I am pretty average, and I know if I were to start at just 4 on the low end I would feel like I am not getting enough air......you don't want her to get that feeling - - it's very uncomfortable and could scare a new user. I think 6cm is a great starting point on the low end

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm

The AutoSet would be better at titration than the Intellipap. It gives better data. That is why I said to use the AutoSet. But the Intellipap is better than nothing

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 pm

cosmo wrote:The AutoSet would be better at titration than the Intellipap. It gives better data. That is why I said to use the AutoSet. But the Intellipap is better than nothing

He's barely into his own treatment. Never mind the compliance issue. His data will be messed up if hers is mixed with his. The doctor won't know which is which. And after a week or two, it would be half an half data. You can't view just half the data and disregard the rest.

When I let my mom use my machine for two partial nights to test her current pressure setting and and then give it some range, I waited until after my 6 week followup. That way, the data was completely mine. And by the time I would return to the doctor, it would have another 6 MONTHS of data, so a couple partial nights would not matter.

Can you imagine in the first followup, the doctor seeing some really weird data and then wanting to change your settings because of it? My mom had an apnea that lasted over a minute during her test night on my machine.

I agree that the S9 autoset is a better machine with better data, but I would not switch up the machines when BOTH users are new. The data is extra important right now. Had he been on his own machine with good results, good data, and past his first followup with the next one being several months off, I would agree with switching machines.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
I agree that the S9 autoset is a better machine with better data, but I would not switch up the machines when BOTH users are new. The data is extra important right now. Had he been on his own machine with good results, good data, and past his first followup with the next one being several months off, I would agree with switching machines.
We need to get her semi titrated since she has no data. That is why I suggested at first for her to utilize the S9. Intellipap titration is going to be fun

viewtopic/t88299/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86378&p=787238

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm

cosmo wrote: We need to get her semi titrated since she has no data.
No we don't. She had the titration study last night. She just can't see the doctor and get the equipment and RX for a couple of weeks.
Right now all we are doing is getting her used to wearing a mask and a little pressure. We might get lucky and this range will work...if not when she gets her own machine she will also have a RX for pressure.

Mainly all we are doing here is just letting her get some use so she might feel a little better while getting used to mask and machine. It sure won't hurt. We aren't trying to find the spot on pressure...she should have that number in a couple of weeks and she will get a different machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 pm

I am aware that she did have her titration professionally done but they were going to start on their own without these values. I saw the Intellipap auto keeping me lower than other machines so I did have to throw it out there.

I'm not here to start any arguments. All of this fighting on this board, its getting old...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 pm

cosmo wrote:I am aware that she did have her titration professionally done but they were going to start on their own without these values. I saw the Intellipap auto keeping me lower than other machines so I did have to throw it out there.

I'm not here to start any arguments. All of this fighting on this board, its getting old...
Sorry, thought you missed that part about the titration study.
It's okay if the Intellipap keeps her a little lower right now. She's not going to stay on it forever and right now just want her to maybe feel a little better (and some therapy is better than no therapy) and it is a suitable solution for just getting accustomed to the pressures and the mask and all.
Heck, for all we know this pressure range might even work perfectly for her. If it doesn't...we can fix it.

Metter46

Post by Metter46 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks to all. She wore nasal pillows for 4 hours the first night with an AHI of 15. I moved the lower pressure up to 7 and I will input the code tomorrow and see the results. The pillows she was using appeared too small an tonight she is using larger ones.
Metterite