New F&P full face mask ("Simplus")

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skram

Re: New F&P full face mask ("Simplus")

Post by skram » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:50 am

Nozzelnut wrote:I've been using my Simplus since Dec 16th or so. The frame and cushion are still going strong; however the headgear failed when I washed it last Sunday; I wash the headgear once a week. The seams on both sides separated on the edges of the bottom straps near where they meet the large back piece. Leaks are still minimal.
Shouldn't this still be covered under warranty? My sleep clinic told me the masks had a 3 month warranty.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 am

A possible substitute for the Simplus headger might be the Quattro Air headgear.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 am

Pugsy wrote:
Nozzelnut wrote:I've been using my Simplus since Dec 16th or so. The frame and cushion are still going strong; however the headgear failed when I washed it last Sunday; I wash the headgear once a week. The seams on both sides separated on the edges of the bottom straps near where they meet the large back piece. Leaks are still minimal.
Didn't I read something about product quality with the headgear being a reason it was slow to be released here in the US and F & P was sending out replacement headgear???
Or was it something else...anyone else remember what the hold up on getting the Simplus in the US happened to be?
Something wasn't holding up and F & P was just telling people to contact whomever and they got a replacement
I thought it was headgear but I can't swear to it.

Anyone else remember something along this line?
You're right! I remember this too! They were replacing headgear free of charge and that was the holdup with releasing it in US. I'll try to find the thread.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 am

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

tidle73

Post by tidle73 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Denial Dave wrote:you haven't posted what your pressures are in your postings. But I'd be willing to bet that your settings don't approach mine....

19IPAP and 14.4 EPAP

A mask that works for someone at low pressure doesn't always work well when dealing with higher pressures.

Dave
TonyG wrote:
Denial Dave wrote:I too am back to my old reliable Quattro..... The simplus is a nice mask with minimal leaks. it was much better than the Quattro Air.. But my decision to go back to the Quattro was just a comfort decision....

There was just something about the single wall cushion in the Simplus that disagreed with my side-sleeping and personal comfort.

However, I loved the Simplus headgear so much, I put it my Quattro. it works like a charm

Dave
I am a side sleeper as well but that doesn't pose any problem for me with this mask. I think it is all in getting the adjustments right. I struggled for a time but am now having virtually no issues. I do get a bit of redness on the bridge of my nose but not sore like. It usually goes away within an hour or less of taking the mask off.
I'm using a Quattro Mirage right know and I'm not to fond of it for a few reasons. My average pressure is 12.77 with a max anywhere between 18 & 20. is there a way to corralate those numbers to the IPAP & EPAP that Denial Dave gave, as I'm a side sleeper to. Also how is the noise from the exhaust on the Simplus, with the Quattro Mirage once the pressure gets up off of the ramp up it is very distracting.

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 pm

tidle73 wrote:
Denial Dave wrote:you haven't posted what your pressures are in your postings. But I'd be willing to bet that your settings don't approach mine....

19IPAP and 14.4 EPAP

A mask that works for someone at low pressure doesn't always work well when dealing with higher pressures.

Dave
TonyG wrote:
Denial Dave wrote:I too am back to my old reliable Quattro..... The simplus is a nice mask with minimal leaks. it was much better than the Quattro Air.. But my decision to go back to the Quattro was just a comfort decision....

There was just something about the single wall cushion in the Simplus that disagreed with my side-sleeping and personal comfort.

However, I loved the Simplus headgear so much, I put it my Quattro. it works like a charm

Dave
I am a side sleeper as well but that doesn't pose any problem for me with this mask. I think it is all in getting the adjustments right. I struggled for a time but am now having virtually no issues. I do get a bit of redness on the bridge of my nose but not sore like. It usually goes away within an hour or less of taking the mask off.
I'm using a Quattro Mirage right know and I'm not to fond of it for a few reasons. My average pressure is 12.77 with a max anywhere between 18 & 20. is there a way to corralate those numbers to the IPAP & EPAP that Denial Dave gave, as I'm a side sleeper to. Also how is the noise from the exhaust on the Simplus, with the Quattro Mirage once the pressure gets up off of the ramp up it is very distracting.
For me noise from the exhaust is minimal if any; unless there's a lot of condensation in the mask. The exhaust holes start to whine a bit until I wipe the outside of the vents. This happens more when I'm trying to fall asleep not when I'm sleeping.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:36 pm

in simple terms... my bi-level pressures are set at 20 IPAP & 14.4 EPAP.... you are on auto and your pressures change depending on your needs..... I tried auto mode and it wreaked absolute havoc on my sleep quality and AHI.

The simplus is not much a quieter than the Quattro for exhaust. As best I can describe it is that it's less forceful.

hope that helps...

Dave
tidle73 wrote:

19IPAP and 14.4 EPAP

Dave
TonyG wrote:

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

brivers222

Post by brivers222 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Nozzelnut wrote: For me noise from the exhaust is minimal if any; unless there's a lot of condensation in the mask. The exhaust holes start to whine a bit until I wipe the outside of the vents. This happens more when I'm trying to fall asleep not when I'm sleeping.
Yeah I have noticed that it makes like a sympony of sounds during the night that require me to wipe the outside of the air vents. I also have a little bit of whining once in a while, but I think that is from the bacteria filter i have and not the mask it self.

Personallly I love the Simplus. I have had it now for 20 days and I keep my AHI down around 1.3 although the last two nights its been high, up near 3.4. my nose is a bit stuffy, so i am guessing that would be the cause of the higher numbers.
Machine: PR S1 REMStar 60 Series Pro
Humdifier: PR S1 Heated Humidifier
Mask: Simplus FFM , Quattro™ FX FFM
Pressure: 10cmH20
Untreated AHI: 90.4
Treated AHI: 1.4

djhall

Post by djhall » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:04 pm

hyperlexis wrote:I love the Amara -- except when I wear it..... It's really a great design except the cushion has a very hard spot right at the bridge of the nose (the Quattro has a cut-out at that spot, taking pressure off the nose) so inevitably it causes me a serious pressure sore, even after one night. No matter how loosely I adjust it, it causes a sore. I almost never use it as a result and may just sell it.

Otherwise, the Amara has great headgear and vent, and is super light and extremely easy to clean. I really hope PR fixes the Cushion design to alleviate this problem.

The Simplus looks like a close copy of the Amara. It looks very light and easy to clean. I am concerned about the vent in the Simplus however. It seems like a less refined vent design with large holes -- so I wonder about its noise level.
I have to really strap my masks down tight with pressures in the low 20s. The large Mirage Quattro and large Amara both murder the bridge of my nose when tight and leak at the sides of my nose when loose. Swapping the large Amara cusion for a medium made a better compromise between side leaks and nose bridge soreness, but I recently discovered two things that make a huge difference.

First, the new gel cushions for the Amara are softer in the nose bridge area. If you like the Amara aside from the nose bridge soreness, the gel cushion might make the difference. However, the Pad-a-Cheek liner turned the Mirage Quattro and the Amara into completely new masks for me. The Quattro would make my nose bridge bleed after a few days, but when I threw the pad-a-cheek liner on there with the nose flap between the mask and my nose bridge and dialed the forehead dial all the way down to its lowest setting, I had NO redness or soreness on my nose bridge at all after two full nights !

palmer1121

Post by palmer1121 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm

hi there everyone
I have tried many masks due to leaks ( I do use nasal pillows with great success but when i have a cold or allergy season, need to use a FFM as I become so nasally congested. I am now working with the F&P Simplus..better of all I have tried..but still get leaks particularly around the eyes..leaks in the 95% tend to be any where from 14-50s. but AHI is ok through this all always below 2.0. but Doing some tweaks tonight from what I have read on the boards.. like wearing it lower on the nose to see if that will help. hopefully will help

however question for all..this comment below caught my eye..I have the auto S9. Under settings. I do change to 'full mask' accordingly when I use the FFM.
But from what I am interpreting below, are there any other changes that i need to do in my setting so that the S9 calculates the leaks as to the mask type that I have? (in this case the F&P simples) would be that of the Mirage. If so, how would I do this in the setting.

PS: my settings are auto setting between 11-15...with them typically around 14.5 when I review the data

thank you for your help

------------------------------------------
bavinck wrote:
Can't you account for that by telling the s9 you are using a different mask than the simplus that has a leak rate equivalent of the simplus?

Yes, I think that should be true. It looks like a setting that would be appropriate for the ResMed Ultra Mirage II could be appropriate for the Simplus as well, depending on the average therapy pressure. Here are the flow rates for the Simplus and ResMed masks and their corresponding settings for various ResMed machines:

http://www.fphcare.co.nz/files/document ... low-sheet/
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... sa_eng.pdf

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 am

palmer1121 wrote: however question for all..this comment below caught my eye..I have the auto S9. Under settings. I do change to 'full mask' accordingly when I use the FFM.
But from what I am interpreting below, are there any other changes that i need to do in my setting so that the S9 calculates the leaks as to the mask type that I have? (in this case the F&P simples) would be that of the Mirage. If so, how would I do this in the setting.

PS: my settings are auto setting between 11-15...with them typically around 14.5 when I review the data

thank you for your help

------------------------------------------
bavinck wrote:
Can't you account for that by telling the s9 you are using a different mask than the simplus that has a leak rate equivalent of the simplus?

Yes, I think that should be true. It looks like a setting that would be appropriate for the ResMed Ultra Mirage II could be appropriate for the Simplus as well, depending on the average therapy pressure. Here are the flow rates for the Simplus and ResMed masks and their corresponding settings for various ResMed machines:

http://www.fphcare.co.nz/files/document ... low-sheet/
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... sa_eng.pdf
I believe, though it's still not an agreed upon issue, that the mask settings in the s9 is not to calculate leak rates, (if you think about it, and look at the resmed charts, there are masks with the same settings but greatly different leak rates, and things with different settings and the same leak rate.

rather, the various groupings tend to have similar sized openings, (ffm, nasal, pillows, etc) and are similar to the groupings that PR uses in their 'resistance' chart and numbered masks. and, there's been discussion that part of the calculation that the machine does to provide the exact pressure is knowing what size hole it's pushing air through, as well as what size hose, (and hose length).

so, the mask setting isn't for leak calculation, it's to help get more exact pressure control at the mask, without having to have a second tube for measuring pressure like the old s8 vpaps did.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dtester

Post by dtester » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 am

I just started with the Simplus mask and only have one problem. I have a leak into my left eye which is not there until I turn to my left side. I think it is from the vent port, not from a mask leak. I use a Contour cpap pillow so that is not an issue. Help?

RwsMed S-9
Previous masks: Amara, Airfit F-10, Quattro Air

Pinalyzer

Post by Pinalyzer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

I just started using the sleep mask for the first time ever about 2 weeks ago. I have found the eye leaks frustrating. Some nights no problem others it freaks me out. Even woke up with a black eye thing that the wife commented on.
So...
I have found a few items
1) The position I sleep in affects the leaks (Actually I agree it seems like it is from the vent not leaks in the mask)
2) Cleaning the mask better with baby wipes has helped
3) Moving it down a little on the bridge of my nose helps
4) The vent is an issue if it bounces of a pillow or the mask
I have pressure up to 20 and will see if that needs to be adjusted at my next dr visit.
All in all I am pleased with the mask as I toss right to left and then on my stomach right and left. If masks get better than this then I will be ready to use one the rest of my wonderful life

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 pm

I find the biggest problem with this mask is that it can leak into the eyes.

I think it's a great mask and works with many people, but sometimes it will still leak in the eyes. Usually just on one side!!

Using anything to wrap around the mask (if I recall there's something someone here has designed to hold it in position more) is hard with this mask. The vent ports interrupt.

grayhm

Post by grayhm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am

Just to complete my first year of Cpap(totally changed my life ). I've tried quite a few full face masks, as well as trying nasal pillows, but always had leak/ seal problems. The Simplus I've been using for 4 months now, is way ahead of the others, a superb product.

One thing I discovered recently, was that, I had the straps over the top of my head, set too short, so I released them, so as to allow the harness to drop further down my head, this totally and utterly removed the eye leak, that had, occurred once or twice in the past.

I'm not the most vigilant with the cleaning to be honest, but still get a great fit.