New F&P full face mask ("Simplus")

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sean Kaye

Re: New F&P full face mask ("Simplus")

Post by Sean Kaye » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Sean and I'm the person who owns Surviving Sleep Apnea referred to up above with respect to the Simplus mask.

I used the Simplus for nearly two months before the headgear started having issues and the silicone seal became a bit funny.

I took it back to the supplier and FIsher & Paykel replaced the entire mask and headgear for me.

The new headgear was totally different, much stiffer and less elastic. I wrote a post about having to replace my Simplus mask if anyone is interested.

Last night I had my lowest AHI that I've ever had - 2.9, so the new mask seems to be doing it's job.

I'm really excited to be on this group - it had a really strong influence on me when I started going through the testing and educating me on what to expect.
Check out my latest blog posts on my CPAP journey!
http://survivingsleepapnea.com

Sean Kaye

Post by Sean Kaye » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:16 pm

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the Simplus, I've now been using it religiously for five months.

I've tried the Amara, Quattro FX, Quattro Air and the Respironics FitLife Full Face (bunny suit) mask and the Simplus blows them away - sorry for the pun, I had to.

The problem with the Amara is that under pressures above 14 you really have to tighten it up to stop the leaking and it hurts, leaving nasty morning marks.

The Quattro FX is good when it works, but I found that it had a tendency for the straps to slide up into my eyes and disturb my sleep - also under high pressure it created face farts and other weird noises. I would get one good night and then one bad night.

The Quattro Air is a stinker - I tried it for a couple nights and never got past half an hour either night. It felt cheap, the "footprint" is too narrow and it leaks like a sieve.

The FitLife mask was ok, just found it a bit hot and occasionally it would slide up my face over top of my mouth and end up being a massive bipap mask.

The Simplus is by far and away the best one of the lot.

One caveat though and this might be holding up wider release in the US. Fisher and Paykel are dealing with an issue relating to the headgear. I've had my mask replaced once and my headgear has been replaced 4 times in 4 months! All under warranty, but still. My equipment provider told me last week that he spoke to the F&P rep and they're working on a fix.

The headgear has foam throughout and the straps under the ears along the jawline has a seam with a stitch. The stitching appears to join two separate pieces of foam and when you tighten the mask the foam piece connected to the back of the headgear seems to tear away from stitching. The foam offers rigidity and security of the straps and headgear, but when the stitching breaks down you're left with stretchy microfibre which doesn't work.

Also, the foam isn't entirely encased in the microfibre, it appears to be "glue sealed" along the edge and this seal is coming apart under pressure (and perhaps heat from the proximity to your head at night) - oddly enough, this is all happening in the same spot on the head gear every single time, the strap under the right ear.

F&P told my provider to just tell their clients to keep bringing the headgear back when it falls apart and they'll keep replacing it until they get a fix. I'll be on my fifth set of headgear in a week or two.

Great mask though!
Check out my latest blog posts on my CPAP journey!
http://survivingsleepapnea.com

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

Any more on this mask coming to the States?

Rob108

Post by Rob108 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 am

Sean Kaye... Can you give me your observations, if you have any, on how the fit size of the Simplus compares to the Philips ComfortGel Blue Full (I have used both Large and Extra Large sizes but prefer the XL because my nose seems to have a lot more room ) and the ResMed Quattro FX in large (My initial DME recommended & provided mask)?
I too found the Quattro FX upper straps rode up and into my eyes.
I am new to CPAP but I think the adjustable top strap of the Simplus would help with the riding up and if it would fit my large fit I might go for it when it comes to the US.

WAN

Post by WAN » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 am

I GOT MINE TODAY IN OHIO DECEMBER 6 2013

old dude

Post by old dude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 am

This headgear issue is interesting to me, and I don't quite understand (although I don't doubt what Sean is saying).

In an effort to come up with headgear for my Quattro Air that had a longer (or adjustable) top strap, I hijacked the entire headgear from an unused F&P Eson mask-which Sean says is the same headgear as that with the Simplus. I have marveled at the high quality of the Eson headgear; it is light years better than any ResMed headgear I've ever used. It fits my Quattro Air perfectly and gives me additional length in the top strap that I badly needed. I like it so much I ordered a couple of spare sets from our host just in case, but after 4 months the first one shows zero signs of wear or stretching.

I wonder if they just somehow made a bad batch, given Sean says they're the same as what I'm using? I was about ready to order a Simplus to try, but now I think I'll wait and see if they get this sorted out first.

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I had my first night with the Simplus last night; purchased from our site sponsor. Shipping was fast as usual too.

I held it up to my Quattro FX and it was a similar size; both are large. Initially putting it on it felt about the same size as well. I have a little crooked nose that seems to cause leaks on the Quattro FX and the Air. That leak were sealed by the Simplus. The nose area seems a little wider and deeper the RESmed masks. No pressure spots on my nose in the morning. I did have one develop the Quattro FFM; probably because I had to pull the straps too tight to get it to seal well.

It's comfortable and stays in place well. Leaks were minimal throughout the night. However, when it settled on my face it seemed larger; not a bad thing, just how it felt.

I like the idea of FFM without forehead straps like the Quattro FX (it would slide up my face during the night) and I think a Simplus without the forehead straps would be my perfect mask. If F&P is reading this and would like to send me one to try; feel free!

ETA the swivel in the elbow inlet is a great feature and makes sleeping a lot easier for folks like me that move around a lot.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am

Hi everyone
I hope you are all doing well, it's been a few months since I've dropped by.

I'm assuming this mask is now out in the USA, anyone having success with it?

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 pm

old dude wrote:This headgear issue is interesting to me, and I don't quite understand (although I don't doubt what Sean is saying).

In an effort to come up with headgear for my Quattro Air that had a longer (or adjustable) top strap, I hijacked the entire headgear from an unused F&P Eson mask-which Sean says is the same headgear as that with the Simplus. I have marveled at the high quality of the Eson headgear; it is light years better than any ResMed headgear I've ever used. It fits my Quattro Air perfectly and gives me additional length in the top strap that I badly needed. I like it so much I ordered a couple of spare sets from our host just in case, but after 4 months the first one shows zero signs of wear or stretching.

I wonder if they just somehow made a bad batch, given Sean says they're the same as what I'm using? I was about ready to order a Simplus to try, but now I think I'll wait and see if they get this sorted out first.
The headgear for the Eson is of the same style but definitely not the same as the one used with the Simplus. I use both masks and the Simplus headgear is much different in the sense it is much thicker and sturdier . In my case if I use the Eson without cheek pads it gives me bad strap marks on my cheeks whereas the Simplus leaves none. Overall both masks are top notch and I wouldn't trade the Simplus for any other ffm out there at the moment. BTW, I have used the Simplus for about 3 months and have had no issues with the headgear . Still in one piece and as agood as new.

DoriC

Re: New F&P full face mask (

Post by DoriC » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:16 pm

sleepstar wrote:Hi everyone

Mike is using it tonight for the first time. It looks and feels great but I'm concerned about the movement of the cushion on the nose and perhaps leaking into his eyes. Is there a trick for placing the cushion at the bridge so it doesn't leak? He's using a Medium because his Quatttro FF and Ultra Mirage are Med too. Any thoughts on sizing? Where should the bottom of the mask hit? How should the headgear on top fit? Any other tips would be welcomed too! As you can see it's very hard when I'm guessing? Good to see you again!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:07 am

DoriC wrote:
sleepstar wrote:Hi everyone

Mike is using it tonight for the first time. It looks and feels great but I'm concerned about the movement of the cushion on the nose and perhaps leaking into his eyes. Is there a trick for placing the cushion at the bridge so it doesn't leak? He's using a Medium because his Quatttro FF and Ultra Mirage are Med too. Any thoughts on sizing? Where should the bottom of the mask hit? How should the headgear on top fit? Any other tips would be welcomed too! As you can see it's very hard when I'm guessing? Good to see you again!
So happy to see you finally got your hands on one Dori! I'm surprised it has taken so long to be released over there. In my opinion, it's definitely a winner!

I've found that the mask can be a little bit sneaky for some people: I've downloaded machines that say the leak is perfect (literally around the 0 L/min mark) but patients telling me that it is leaking in their eyes. Sure enough, when I've asked them to put it on, it's so quiet and says there's no leak, but there is air definitely going near their eyes.

My advice is, if air is going into the eyes, don't put the mask too high on the nasal bridge. Try sitting it lower down on the nose. I'm not sure if you've seen the Quattro FX, but I feel it's a little bit like this, and for a lot of people should sit similar to this (the Quattro FX sits a little lower on the nose - not on the nasal bridge).

When fitting full face masks, I always ask at some point for a patient to open their mouth up wide. I want to see if the bottom of the mask "catches" their mouth (so it still sits under their mouth, and doesn't go into their mouth. We want to make sure the mask fits well when we go into REM sleep, where for some people the jaw can drop right down when their muscles relax.) I find that sometimes bigger is better.

Medium seems to be fine with most people (as with other masks). I find there is quite a big jump in size from the medium to the large with this mask.

The middle strap should be over the crown of the head. It's there just to keep the mask in position.

I've found a YouTube video here that may be of help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAI6sFdAsM

I think a really good thing about this mask is that it is soooo easy to clean. It's literally two parts. With the Quattro FFM, there are so many different parts, and I sometimes sit there trying to remember where they go! The Quattro Air is also very good like this - so easy to clean, not a million pieces.

Good luck, let us know how he goes!
Last edited by sleepstar on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 am

TonyG wrote:
old dude wrote:This headgear issue is interesting to me, and I don't quite understand (although I don't doubt what Sean is saying).

The headgear for the Eson is of the same style but definitely not the same as the one used with the Simplus. I use both masks and the Simplus headgear is much different in the sense it is much thicker and sturdier . In my case if I use the Eson without cheek pads it gives me bad strap marks on my cheeks whereas the Simplus leaves none. Overall both masks are top notch and I wouldn't trade the Simplus for any other ffm out there at the moment. BTW, I have used the Simplus for about 3 months and have had no issues with the headgear . Still in one piece and as agood as new.
Glad to hear you're having success with this mask. Full face masks are so tricky! They are definitely the hardest to fit. And we get excited when a new one gets released, but sometimes they just disappoint us. I've found this one to be a winner so far with a lot of people.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 am

DoriC wrote:
Hi Dori, I think Sleepstar covered the mask very well in the post above. I'll just add a couple things. I find the mask less prone to leak around the eyes than the Quattro. However, if it does start to leak, I just pull the mask away from my face a little to let the cushion inflate, release it and that seems to stop the leaks. Also, I find that leaks around the cheeks can be controlled by wriggling my face, or the mask, around a little. For me, the mask seems to ride down rather than up as many masks do. So to adjust the top strap, I put the mask on, got all the straps close to where they should be with the mask riding just a little lower on the bridge of my nose than the Quattro (where the Simplus feels most comfortable) and adjusted the top strap to be just barely snug. The middle strap I adjusted also to be just snug which leaves the top of the brace about a quarter inch from my forehead. The bottom strap I adjusted just tight enough to prevent leaks.
As far as leaks go, for me it seems to leak less than the Quattro, but when it does leak, it seems quieter and less disturbing. I've found it not to squeal and flutter as much as the Quattro. The one thing I think that is deceptive for S8/S9 users is that, since the flow rate of the Simplus is less than the Quattro or other FF ResMed masks, the calculated leak rate will be less than actual when using the Simplus with an S8/S9 and a setting for a ResMed full face mask.

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 am

Can't you account for that by telling the s9 you are using a different mask than the simplus that has a leak rate equivalent of the simplus?
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 am

bavinck wrote:Can't you account for that by telling the s9 you are using a different mask than the simplus that has a leak rate equivalent of the simplus?
Yes, I think that should be true. It looks like a setting that would be appropriate for the ResMed Ultra Mirage II could be appropriate for the Simplus as well, depending on the average therapy pressure. Here are the flow rates for the Simplus and ResMed masks and their corresponding settings for various ResMed machines:

http://www.fphcare.co.nz/files/document ... low-sheet/
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... sa_eng.pdf