Resmed S9 compared to its previous model

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pandatx

Re: Resmed S9 compared to its previous model

Post by pandatx » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 am

My S9 is pretty much slient. I don't hear it at all.

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:50 am

Deleted. Responded to wrong post.

Last edited by Loreena on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
+ Original Deluxe-Style Chinstrap + Nexcare Low Trauma tape

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 am

Check out the equipment I use, I have been very happy with this equipment. I have been on this equipment sine last October 2012 and would recommend it to anyone shopping for ResMed equipment. No problems, easy to clean , use distilled water , has a SD card that has lots of data on it.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 am

Hello Guest,

The only drawback with the S9 that I have noticed consistently is that some of the machines do in fact have a slight wheese/whistle sound on exhale. Though in many cases you have to almost get your stethoscope out to hear it; it is there, and unfortunately tech support doesn't really offer any cause. They will swap your machine under warranty if you hear it, but the interesting part is that they will give you the caveat, "you might hear the same noise". Very strange indeed. My guess is that the flow generator fan is so small that occasionally when the factory worker in Singapore is having an off day, maybe he/she isn't installing it correctly? It's just a theory, after working with jet engines it sounds like turbulant air from the tip of the blade.

Having said that, sorry about the unintended diatribe, the S9 is for the most part the quietest, most reliable machine on the market and gives very high quality of detailed data. I've personally set up hundreds of the S9s with very very few problems at all.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Xney

Post by Xney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Catalytic wrote:My S9 AutoSet is so quiet that my husband thought I was dead the first night I used it. He couldn't hear me OR the machine!
Totally needs to be on resmed's product endorsement page!

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 pm

hyperlexis wrote:Some posters here and DMEs I have spoken with have stated that yes, the ResMed units are somewhat more delicate/prone to breakdowns than other brands. They do have 2-year warranties, however, so that my be sufficient for you. If you are really concerned with reliability and don't mind a non-heated tube, the DeVilbiss Intellipap units now have 5-year warranties so they may be a better choice for your peace of mind.
The data collection on the PRS1 and S9 units is superior to the data collection on the DeVilbiss units. It's like driving with clear windows vs. peeping through a small spot where you've cleaned the ice off your windshield.

As for noise, it seems that with any particular model, even if most owner think their particular model is quiet, someone else says theirs sounds way too noisy. Some of this is variation in the noise level between machines of the same model, some is quietness of the room, or placement of the machine, some is a question of more sensitive hearing, and some is psychological problems.

PRS1 does "feel" a little more sturdy and the S9 is more "slick," but my experience and reports from others gives me the impression they're not much different in terms of reliability. The PRS1 looks lit it would be a little tougher if dropped or banged around, but looks can be deceiving.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

My Autoset was made in Queensland, NSW, don't know if there is much of a difference, except mine's older.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 am

Xney wrote:
Catalytic wrote:My S9 AutoSet is so quiet that my husband thought I was dead the first night I used it. He couldn't hear me OR the machine!
Totally needs to be on resmed's product endorsement page!

My sister was thrilled the first time she entered my bedroom and found me asleep with my machine. She has been yelling at me in hotel rooms for years. And my mom's machines have been noisy. She expected my machine to be quieter than snoring, but still noisy, and it was so quiet. She loves to tell people how quiet I am now.

Once my mom got a new machine (same as mine), she started taking her machine again when traveling, and I thought it was off. I had to wave my hand in front of her mask to make sure it was on.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 am

i do hear a beep like whistle at the end of exhalation but it doesnt bother me.
Guest wrote:HI,

I read in one of the forums that
"The S9 is actually quite noisy, it seems the machine housing is hollow and acting like a soundboard; resulting is a whooshing noise when Inhaling, when exhaling there is a certain wheeze/whistle when exhaled in a certain speed. this is very annoying during ramp time; that is where everyone is trying to sleep!! I still have to cover the machine with a sweater or something. I will contact the manufacturer/ customer service to see if this normal...."

Any feedback on this.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My Autoset was made in Queensland, NSW, don't know if there is much of a difference, except mine's older.
Careful chunky. I know it''s all down under, but that's like saying "made in Nebraska, Texas"!

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

I have both an S8 AutoSet II and an S9 AutoSet... so can give a comparison of the 2:
- The S9 is quieter than the S8.
- The S9 has the capability of using a ClimateLine hose, which will prevent rainout--if you get an S9, also get the ClimateLine hose rather than the one it comes with.
- The S9 uses a standard SD card to store data, so you can use it on any computer and use SleepyHead to view your data. The S8 uses a proprietary data card reader that you will not be able to find sold any longer--you would also need to get ResMed's software on Windows to read it rather than the open-source SleepyHead available on multiple platforms.
- The S9 has a different algorithm for auto-adjustment of pressure that can detect non-obstructive apneas separately from obstructive apneas, which gives it a better ability to adjust pressure--in the S8, they put limitations in the algorithm adjusting pressure over 10 so as to not increase the possibility of central apneas, as some people are prone to those with higher pressures (search this forum for a better explanation).

That said... both machines are hearty and great. If you find a good deal on an S8 AutoSet II and would like to save some money, it will give you excellent therapy. I use my S8 for travel and my S9 at home.

(yet another Jeff)

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 pm

NateS wrote:
gurneet wrote:Hi All,

Sounds like somebody (maybe your DME?) is trying to get rid of an old model (S8) by dumping it on you.

e

Nate, Nate, Nate.....one might think from your post that you were implying that the DME might be more concerned with maximizing its profits rather than caring about what was in the best interest of their patient's health; we know that this can not be true because we have the best health care system in the world

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:10 pm

johnthomasmacdonald wrote:
NateS wrote:

Sounds like somebody (maybe your DME?) is trying to get rid of an old model (S8) by dumping it on you.

e

Nate, Nate, Nate.....one might think from your post that you were implying that the DME might be more concerned with maximizing its profits rather than caring about what was in the best interest of their patient's health; we know that this can not be true because we have the best health care system in the world
Ooops, my bad!

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

fergi

Post by fergi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 am

johnthomasmacdonald wrote:
NateS wrote:

e

Dont want to start an argument on health care, but i have friends over in the USA and have been there, i think there needs to be a big improvement in your health care there, Here in Australia anyone can go into our public hospitals and have any treatment they need, absolutely no cost to them, its all free although some things like replacement joints etc probably have a short waiting period, but if you have an urgent case its straight into hospital with no charge.

fergi

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:32 am

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and the doctor recommended to have a CPAP with humidifier. I have zeroed down on Resmed's S9 Auto Escape model, however someone told me the latest model is of inferior quality as compared to the Resmed's previous model S8 etc. Would like to get the feedback from the user who have been using the S9 model for past couple of years, the pros and cons, any problems faced etc.

Thanks
I can't think of any reason why the previous model would be better than the latter, unless someone is trying to sell the s8 lol