Vaseline Dangers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pj1016

Post by pj1016 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:55 am

Post subject: Vaseline Dangers

pj

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:57 am

Yeah, let's let this one go, please! If someone tries to stir it up, let's just ignore.

SB

one last observation...

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:49 am

Snoozin', I agree with you totally. The great VASELINE SCARE has been thoroughly discredited, and there is no more light to be shed. However, I just had a flashback to an earlier post, same literary style, same appeal to "HIGHER AUTHORITY", same complete lack of critical thinking, same condescending tone, same smattering of typos and literary faux pas...
guest wrote:The scientific analysis of vaseline on this site show that ... (yadda yadda yadda)
guest wrote:Good afternoon all. I have an Electrical and Computer Engineer Degree and (yadda yadda yadda)
coincidence?

(harikarishimari, where ARE you? we NEED you!)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:28 pm

(harikarishimari, where ARE you? we NEED you!)

I'm sure glad I'm using a FF mask so I don't have to worry about polluting my system (nares) with Vaseline or other harmful lubricants.

Guesto wrote:kteague -- I browse and post on the American Sleep Apnea Association's forum and only occassionally post here.

While you'll note that some people are members of both boards, I think you'll find the ASAA forum preferable: people are more civil, mature, genuinely helpful, and there are fewer flame wars.

Reece

Quite possibly, the controversies add a little reading stimuli to this forum and contribute to making it the most popular forum of this type on the net.

From another point of view, if these "guests" (troublemakers or whatever you want to call them) feel like they HAVE to come to this forum to take out their frustrations because they can't get away with those kinds of posts on the other forums......then that's kind of unfortunate (for us).

I'm all in favor of "guest" posting, so I'm hoping that they will be more "civil" in the future.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Amigo

Try the other Board...if you dare

Post by Amigo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:32 pm

Some Other Guest wrote:...There are many controversies and debates on the ASAA Board, but it is moderated to keep the discussion civil....

-- Bryce
To each his own, Bryce, but I happen to abhor censorship in any form, and when it has the potential for serious health consequences then it is unconscionable.

This is a partial transcript of an e-mail discussion with a moderator discussing why ASAA censors posts:

ASAA Moderator:

"You are right in that it is up to us to take care of our health care, and most of "us" are in a position to do just that. But define "us," because there are a lot of people out there who are vulnerable, less educated, and must rely on others."

I replied:

"OK, so some need to "rely on others," and, hopefully, that's what the Sleep Forums are attempting to do. BUT, if you only provide them with the information "you" think they can handle, you are doing them a great disservice. Unless someone is fortunate enough to have a VERY caring and knowledgeable physician and DME, which most do NOT, they are more likely to give up in frustration, and continue to jeopardize their health. With the vast amount of open and honest discussion at CPAPTalk, they can at least see that there is hope, and alternatives to effective treatment. ASAA's position is, "go back to your doctor/DME" for this information, "you're not intelligent enough to handle it on your own." That makes me SO angry."

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:43 pm

I don't see that this discussion has harmed anyone. Like most threads on this forum, some good information is available in this thread. It has stimulated some worthwhile discussion.

That's all for the better. Plus, the threads on Vaseline are actually funny as can be, and that's important too. .

Regards,
Bill

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Bill - I appreciate your point of view, general kindness, good humor and value you for it.

That being said, from my point of view, I try to make sense out what is here to help myself and others. The ongoing interjections in this thread seem to me to have no such helpful motive. From my point of view there appear to be there just to "stir it up". I have plenty of other places and circumstances in my life to get stirred up over. There is enough "dross" in my life elsewhere. Where there is a thing of such value and general good humor the dross that shows up here is, in contrast, that much more disappointing. It was funny to you, it did not end up being funny to everyone. I even continue to chuckle at times but all-in-all, again IMHO, that thread, and its relative, has continued far beyond its useful life both for real knowledge and for chuckles. But, as always, take what you like and leave the rest.

SB

tomjax

Vaseline

Post by tomjax » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:24 pm

I was very skeptical about the vaseline warning when it cautioned against using on latex condoms because it may break down the latex.

I simply cannot imagine this happening in the 30 seconds involved.

It may be problematic in several DAYS, but this would be rare, imho.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Snoozin' Bluezzz wrote:The ongoing interjections in this thread seem to me to have no such helpful motive.
Ahh . . ., but there's the rub, isn't it? It's impossible to know the motivation, although I can think of several. Whatever the motivation may be, it seems to me that the best response is to accept the fact that the combined sincerity and good intentions of the members of this forum shine through the garbage.

This is, after all, an open community, as has been stated. People that come here do so expecting to have to sift through some amount of useless information before they find what they are searching for.

Enjoy it. Life is good. The Vaseline threads are still funny as all get out. We could even call it the great Vaseline conspiracy of '06. .

Regards,
Bill

Ric

Re: Vaseline

Post by Ric » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:07 pm

tomjax wrote:I was very skeptical about the vaseline warning when it cautioned against using on latex condoms because it may break down the latex. It may be problematic in several DAYS, but this would be rare.....
Only in your wildest dreams.

He who dies with the most masks wins.

Amigo

Re: Vaseline

Post by Amigo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:13 pm

tomjax wrote:I was very skeptical about the vaseline warning when it cautioned against using on latex condoms because it may break down the latex.

I simply cannot imagine this happening in the 30 seconds involved....
Yikes! That's what I call a "hair trigger," and I guess the question might be, "why bother"...lol.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:32 pm

I surrender!!!

SB