how to fix on/off button resmed s8 autoset spirit 11

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fishpacker

Re: how to fix on/off button resmed s8 autoset spirit 11

Post by fishpacker » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks so much for this advice. I was having problems for months and now after this simple procedure, my machine works like new again.

swervyn

Post by swervyn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 am

Hello fellow cpappers

Thankyou to the op for the topic and posts regarding this issue, i also had terrible trouble starting/stopping my S8 so wanted to share my experience with it and hopefully help others out who are not in a position to fork out mega $$ for a new machine.

I tried the cleaning the contacts with a solution and while it worked ok for a week or 2 it didnt really solve the problem and soon enough i was again having to unplug the machine to get it to turn off/on

After much googling and research it seems that the little rubberised black "pills" on the back of the rubber faceplate are carbon/silicone rubber based. The carbon being for conductivity and the silicone for flexiblity.

From what i have read it seems the carbon can lose its conductivity over time, or at least become less effective, much the same way as a tv remote button stops working. This stops the switch (the contacts on the board) from being activated. So no matter how much you clean the contacts it wont solve the problem fully as it lies with the carbon pills on the back of the rubber faceplate.

I guess a light sand of the pill may do the trick as it will remove grime/residue etc that may have built up over the years and give a fresh surface to contact with the main board.

I tried a different approach and instead used a very thin aluminium foil that already has adhesive tape on it. With work we use it as a heat deflecting tape around cooktops on acrylic benchtops. the foil is as thin as kitchen cooking foil so quite thin, a lot thinner than duct type foil tape. I cut out a very small piece the size of the carbon pill and stuck it on and it works perfectly.

2 weeks later and still no problems and the switch works with the lightest press , first time and every time.

This may be worth trying for anyone who still has problems, it works for me at least.

Just putting it out there for those who may have tried cleaning the contacts but still have issues

Cheers

Dutchie

Post by Dutchie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:03 pm

i have a s9 can the problem be fix the same way

markleo

Post by markleo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:57 am

Nice to know, but an easier way to solve this problem is to plug the cord into the machine when you go to bed and unplug it when you wake.

TEF

Post by TEF » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:52 pm

HERE IS THE ABSOLUTE WAY TO REPAIR THE START/STOP BUTTON FOR THE RESMED S8 - OR ANY OTHER BUTTON!
    1) Order the ButtonWorx TV Remote Repair kit from Amazon.com $9.00.
    2) Unplug the S8.
    3) Remove the Torx screws from the bottom of the S8. A 5/64 standard Allen wrench will work, but go SLOWLY.
    4) Lift off the upper cover. Do not touch the circuit board on the S8 module.
    5) Locate the two black contacts for the Start/Stop button in bottom of the upper cover.
    6) Follow the directions for the ButtonWorx TV Remote Repair Kit, and apply two new contacts to the CIRCUIT BOARD directly below the Start/Stop button.
    7) Put the upper cover back on the S8.
    Plug in the S8, and test your work.
    9) It should work! Unplug and reinstall the Torx screws.

* The new contacts are actually suspended over the circuit board by a small membrane which is adhered to the circuit board. When the Start/Stop button is pressed the old contacts on the Start/Stop button push down on the new contacts, and activate the S8.

This repair should work for other CPAP devices, provided the button functional design is similar.

Happy CPAPPING!

ljs101357

Post by ljs101357 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you !!! I have been having issues with my Resmed S8's on/off button-warranty is up...was told I'd need a new sleep study and prescription . ..I followed the OH SO EASY instructions and my Maxine is working like new . ..now to figure out how to replace the carbon contacts for a permanent fix! Thank you again for the input

hip

Post by hip » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Just fixed my wifes using this tip. Thanks

SnoreLikeABEAR

Post by SnoreLikeABEAR » Fri May 05, 2017 4:16 am

Thank you. ..thank you. ..thank you
    I have been fooling around with this very inconsistent button for a year now.
    I figured out a work around to turn it off quickly, by just pulling the hose off the machine. It blows strong air for about 2seconds then shuts itself off.
    But, turning it on has been a hassle at bed time.
    So, I tried your instruction and it's working like a champ. Thank you for sharing.

Post by Guest » Mon May 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Memorial Day 2017. The emery board trick worked for me.

cowman

Post by cowman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

I used an old TV remote to fix the button.
    1: Pull apart an old TV remote to get to the rubber pad with the carbon dots
    2: Using a razor blade - remove the carbon dots from the old rubber pad
    3. Remove the Autoset rubber keypad with the carbon dots (others in this blog have described how to remove the rubber keypad)
    4. Using and emery board file down the Autoset carbon dots to get as even as possible, but not remove any rubber
    5. Wipe the Autoset rubber keypad with alcohol and let dry
    6. Using glue that is acceptable for rubber (not all glues can be used with rubber) place one dot of glue on the (rubber) side of the cut off carbon dot and place it on the spot of the filed off dot. I used Locktite Superglue formulated for rubber and plastic. Position the dot carefully before the glue dries.
    7. Let it sit for 15 minutes to be certain the glue is dry
    8. Reinstall the keypad and turn on your Autoset
    9. Save the remote rubber keypad. You will have a lifetime supply of carbon dots.

For the cost of a tube of glue your CPAP is fixed.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am

cowman wrote:I used an old TV remote to fix the button.
    1: Pull apart an old TV remote to get to the rubber pad with the carbon dots
    2: Using a razor blade - remove the carbon dots from the old rubber pad
    3. Remove the Autoset rubber keypad with the carbon dots (others in this blog have described how to remove the rubber keypad)
    4. Using and emery board file down the Autoset carbon dots to get as even as possible, but not remove any rubber
    5. Wipe the Autoset rubber keypad with alcohol and let dry
    6. Using glue that is acceptable for rubber (not all glues can be used with rubber) place one dot of glue on the (rubber) side of the cut off carbon dot and place it on the spot of the filed off dot. I used Locktite Superglue formulated for rubber and plastic. Position the dot carefully before the glue dries.
    7. Let it sit for 15 minutes to be certain the glue is dry
    8. Reinstall the keypad and turn on your Autoset
    9. Save the remote rubber keypad. You will have a lifetime supply of carbon dots.

For the cost of a tube of glue your CPAP is fixed.
    Thanks katie...................

pappypappy

Post by pappypappy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 pm

My resmed autoset 2 also won't turn off or on without holding down button for long time or pushing it several times. Therefore, I plugged it into a power strip that has an off switch on it and then I turned on the power strip and messed with the button on the cpap until I got it to come on. Now I just turn my cpap on off with the power strip. Been using it this way for over a year now no problem. Only cost about 5 bucks of the power strip. Good luck with yours!

ksahf

Post by ksahf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 pm

After two weeks without my CPAP, using my Emery board on the carbon fiber tips on the on/off switch worked, the button connected and the machine turned on. YAY, and thank you so much!

seamus_devine

Post by seamus_devine » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 am

Can anyone send me pictures or a video to do this on/off switch fix, please

TACO77

Post by TACO77 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Accurate Biomed Services has sold me the ResMed Escape S8 keypads for about $20 in the past. 1-800-376-5660 • 1-888-327-7483