New TAP PAP mask review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
digitalepiphany

Re: New TAP PAP mask review

Post by digitalepiphany » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Forgot to put my user name in the post above. It's mine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks for the help. I want to try the tap pap, but money is a little tight right now. I get treated through the VA, so I'll probably get a nasal pillow through them first (free). If I have a choice of nasal pillow, assuming the tap pap is not an option, what would you suggest as an alternative? Also, I'm on a Resmed S9 Autoset, so they'll probably want to give me a Resmed pillow. Do they make more than one version? Thanks.
digitalepiphany wrote:Forgot to put my user name in the post above. It's mine.
ResMed makes the Swift FX nasal pillow that was my primary mask prior to the release of the Tap Pap. I used it for 2 years after changing from the Swift LT nasal pillow mask when the Swift FX was finally released.
The Swift FX is a great mask.

If they happen to have the Aloha as a choice...it's a great nasal pillow mask also. It's made by Respcare...so I don't know if it will be something the VA stocks normally.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check with my doc when he calls me back. Would you say, though, that the tap pap is sufficiently better than the swift fx or the aloha to justify its purchase out of pocket?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 pm

digitalepiphany wrote:Would you say, though, that the tap pap is sufficiently better than the swift fx or the aloha to justify its purchase out of pocket?
It was for me...but that's me. I have my own personal preference for "less on my face and head" and anytime I can go with less then I sure will try it.

The Swift FX also has the Bella Loops...so the only thing going on the face or head are the little loops around the ears. I used those too. Sometimes they pinched my left ear though...never the right ear.

At cpap.com there is free return insurance included in the purchase price. If you hate it you can return it (as long as they get it back in 30 days) and get all your money back. They even give you a return shipping label.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... roved.html
So it's not like we are flushing the money down the toilet.
Plus it is on sale now for $20 less than I paid for it. My DME doesn't carry it either and most likely won't.
There's really not much on it to wear out so it's not like you have to keep forking over the big bucks very often.
For me it is/was worth it.
I am still using the very same nasal pillows that I started with back on March 5.
They improved the mouth guard and the new mouth guard now comes with the mask setup purchase. This thread was started before they improved the mouth guard.

Finding the right mask is the hardest part to this therapy. What works for one person doesn't automatically work for the next person...that pertains to any mask out there.

The Aloha ranked real close to the Swift FX when I tried it. I just happen to have this thing about getting by with the least amount of "stuff" on my face and head...so the Swift FX nudged out the Aloha for my own preference...the Tap Pap nudged out the Swift FX but I still have a Swift FX for backup use (like if I had a problem with my teeth..and I might because I have one tooth that bugs me sometimes but that is totally unrelated to the Tap Pap..it bugged me prior to the change to the Tap Pap). It's on the list of things for the dentist to fix.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

I talked to my doc at the VA, and told him I wanted to try the Tap Pap. He said he hadn't heard of it, but that he'd see if he could get it for me. I told him that if he couldn't get that one, to just send me the Swift FX. He did tell me that there were other pillows that used a dental device to keep it in place, but since I hadn't heard of them, I didn't want to take the chance. Thanks for all your help.

abcathome

Post by abcathome » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 am

I just got the new TAP PAP mask this week and have been really really excited to get it and use it. When I was fitted for it (at the supply store) I think I bit down too much and it was bent into itself on the back molar area. So yesterday, I tried to refit it (watched the YouTube video and did it like we did it in the store) and last night when I went to put it on, it was SO TIGHT. So, I reboiled it, refitted it, and let it sit on my nightstand for about an hour before going to sleep. It felt okay when I put it on to sleep, but this morning my teeth HURT. So very sore. Mainly the side teeth (not the front ones). Any suggestions? I don't want to have to reboil it (would be the 4h time for this piece and I don't know how many times it can handle that before beginning to break down), but I don't know how to get a looser fit even if I *do* reboil it.

I will try tonight to run it under hot water for a bit right before sleep and see if that makes a difference tomorrow. I have a return policy (can return to the store within 30 days) but I don't want to...I like the concept of the TAP PAP and LOVE not having to wear the head straps!

Thank in advance!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am

abcathome wrote: I will try tonight to run it under hot water for a bit right before sleep and see if that makes a difference tomorrow.
That's what I did when it was seeming like it was too tight to start with. Then I put it on and moved it back and forth a bit to loosen it up just a tad.

Regarding the sore teeth. I had that happen for about a week or so. Gradually it got less and less and now I have zero tooth discomfort.
I think people suck too much trying for the "perfect" fit and it gets perfect a little too good.
I just fitted a new mouth guard and barely sucked at all and it worked out so much better for both putting it on and removing.

abcathome

Post by abcathome » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks. I will try "not sucking" this time. I read in an early reply to this thread that it appeared to "shrink" more once out of the mouth after a fitting...which is what mine felt like. I assumed it was just because it was hard and no longer soft that it felt smaller. The girl who fit it to me told me to "suck" like the directions said....so I will try not doing it this time.

Mask Guy

Post by Mask Guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 am

[quote="newsnore"]Thanks again Pugsy it's really good to hear all these points and the mouth piece info is assuring. Unfortunately because it will take up to 2 weeks to arrive here in NZ and then 2 weeks to return I guess, in reality, trying and returning are out of the picture. So if I go ahead and get the mask it will have to be a keeper. Anyway this could be beneficial in the long run as it means I will be more likely to try and make it work as much as possible - even if needs be making alterations to the mask as a last resort.

As per my "Help buying Tap Pap mask" thread, getting the mask is probably going to be a slow process, especially if I have to twist my DMEs arm to sign a prescription for me, and still keep me in the line for a FFM in case the Tap Pap is a failure. Wheels turn very slowly in the NZ public health ...

Hi snorenomore,

There were a few people that were requesting updates on availability of the TAP PAP in New Zealand. I am happy to let you all know that the TAP PAP is now available in NZ. At this stage it is availible through Sleepwell, Sleeptech and Wellsleep it is also available to any cpap provider or DHB, should they want it in New Zealand, contact details are on the amisleep website.

Regards
Mask Guy

Bobshouse

Post by Bobshouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Wow, didn't know about this thread! Great to see everyone basically has the same feeling as I do. Absolutely love the TapPap.

I also get a little higher AHI with the Tap pap, but I was wondering, could it possibly be the exhalation holes on the Tap Pap? There are a lot of holes, more than any other mask I have. Could that many holes, moving much more air than other nasal pillow masks, cause a raise in AHI?

I purchased mine from cpap.com, if Apria does not stock it, they will definitely loose my replacement dollars.

Mask Guy

Post by Mask Guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Bobshouse,

The holes will not be causing a difference. There are more holes than most masks, but they are smaller so the total flow rate is similar. There are also other masks on the market that have a similar number of holes. The total flow rate is published in the instruction manual, if you are interested you can compare different masks.

I am not sure what caused your have a different AHI. One question is, how much different is it Andre second is how long have you noticed this difference? A small difference may not be significant, or it could be natural variation. It also may vary from nasal mask to pillow mask. Did you have a regular nasal mask or a pillow mask in the past? Pillows have a slightly higher pressure drop than standard nasal masks, that may be a factor.

Apria may stock this if you ask someone at your branch to fill out the "new product request form" and send that to head office. It is not in their system and will take a branch to request it. It will not be added by head office without branch request.

Regards
Mask Guy

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Bobshouse wrote:Wow, didn't know about this thread! Great to see everyone basically has the same feeling as I do. Absolutely love the TapPap.

I also get a little higher AHI with the Tap pap, but I was wondering, could it possibly be the exhalation holes on the Tap Pap? There are a lot of holes, more than any other mask I have. Could that many holes, moving much more air than other nasal pillow masks, cause a raise in AHI?

I purchased mine from cpap.com, if Apria does not stock it, they will definitely loose my replacement dollars.

They don't, I tried. Next step is to get my doc to specifically prescribe the TapPap for my mask, and then watch them squirm!

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Now using both I and my wife opposite TapPap and are super happy. No leaks no matter how you lie in bed, and wonderful to not have straps around the head.
I bought a Swift FX and a Nuance pro too, but I think I sell them on to someone in need.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

Mask Guy

Re: New TAP PAP mask review - Apria

Post by Mask Guy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 pm

There has been a lot of discussion about trying to get the TAP PAP through Apria.

Apria have now loaded the TAP PAP into their system and each branch can now order and supply the TAP PAP.

It is listed under "CPAP Kit Nasal Pillow TAP".

This has only been recently loaded, so if you tried to get the TAP PAP through Apria in the past you may want to try again.

Regards,
Mask Guy

snakelips

Post by snakelips » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:Adding photos of new vs old mouth guard so that the difference is more easily seen.
Still kind of hard to see the "thinner" part but it is there. Main big difference...nothing behind the front teeth. When my tongue goes behind the front teeth all it feels is the back of my front teeth.

My wife much prefers the old one, and apparently everyone is throwing them away. If you have any older style models, I would be very much interested in them. If you're fixing to throw some away, please let me know!