New TAP PAP mask review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

New TAP PAP mask review

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Well, the new Tap Pap nasal pillow mask arrived just a little while ago. It took the scenic route getting here which takes a day longer.
For those who don't know about this nasal pillow mask see this thread.
viewtopic/t87088/Tap-Pap--will-anyone-b ... a-try.html

Home page for the mask product
http://mytappap.com/index.php
Videos for this mask here
https://www.youtube.com/user/TAPAppliance?feature=watch

I got mine from cpap.com. $129 and that includes free mask insurance so if I hate it...I get my money back.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... -mask.html

So here are my thoughts initially and as I do more with it I will add to this thread. Feel free to ask questions and if others are trying this mask feel free to add your thoughts to this thread if you wish. It's kinda nice to have one place to look for reviews instead of sorting through a bunch of other threads.

It does come with optional headgear that might be kind of handy in the event there are stability issues. Fairly unobtrusive headgear too which was a pleasant surprise. It's so little and lightweight I wouldn't have a problem using it.
Though for now I am going to try it without the headgear.

I was a little nervous about the initial size of the mouth guard since my mouth is not the largest of mouths (despite what my husband says ) since I tend to have a pretty annoying gag reflex even when I brush my tongue with toothbrush.
Preliminary fit points to it being quite comfortable. I haven't done the boil and bite fitting yet.
The mouth guard doesn't have nearly the presence (size wise) that I anticipated.

It comes with size Medium nasal pillows fitted to the mask interface. I couldn't see a size marking anywhere but it is real easy to distinguish the sizes so that is not an issue. Nasal pillows are separate so if someone has a weird nostril it is possible to mix sizes.
Nasal pillows feel a lot like my Swift FX nasal pillows...not hugely firm but not nearly as soft was the Pilairo nasal pillow for those of you who have tried the Pilairo.
They don't have the "big" cushylike barrel that the Swift FX does. Initial fitting looks like the Medium will work as well the Small. In the other nasal pillow masks I have been able to use the XSmall and Small and could use the Medium in a pinch. Looks like their small is somewhere between XSmall and Small when compared to Swift FX...Medium between the Small and Medium Swift FX but the large looks a lot like the Large in the Swift FX.

It's easy to adjust the angle and distance from mouth guard to the nasal pillow seating at a good angle and distance so not squishing the nostrils and giving me a piggy nose.

Oh, one other thing..removing the mouth guard requires a little sliding motion similar to what I would do if I had a puzzle.
It doesn't come off right away with the removal of the screw. I had to sort of move the mouth guard piece around a bit.
Hard to describe but it doesn't just fall away when the screw is removed. I mention it because I sort of expected it to fall off but it didn't...figured if it momentarily was difficult for me to remove it...I probably wouldn't be the only person.

More later after I get the boil and bite done and try things out.

keywords: tappap

Last edited by Pugsy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Re: New TAP PAP mask review

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Boil and bite fit is done. Pretty simple. Read the directions and it's easy.
It fits pretty snug. Won't come loose if my mouth opens during tossing and turning. One thing do not do...don't try to remove it with pressure on. Turn the machine off first. I thought for a minute that it was going to be a permanent addition to my mouth. It's snug but not the least bit uncomfortable. It takes a wee bit of effort to remove it.

I am going with the Small size initially but I can see where it is going to take a little more tweaking to get it to not leak a tiny bit but the medium touches part of my skin right below my nares and I have a little pimple there right now. Just a little bit of "I know something is touching a boo boo" thing.
I can see where they say when in doubt about a size...try the next larger if available. The Medium was a lot more forgiving in regards to getting it to seal.

Final fitting....do it laying down in bed. Don't try to do it perfectly while sitting up or standing up. You can come close but it still needs tweaking laying down.

Cleaning...I haven't decided what my routine will be. Don't want to use hot water on the mouth guard. They say use cold water. Even warm water can soften up the material in the mouth guard. I am notoriously lazy so I probably won't disassemble everything. I don't wash my nasal pillows everyday anyway.
The mouth guard would get rather yucky I suspect if I was to do my normal lazy way of doing things.
I am thinking of just doing a bit of cold water washing of just the mouth guard and nasal pillows daily and maybe weekly removing the nasal pillows for a good hot water washing. I don't see the need to immerse the whole thing (short hose and all) in water daily. That way once I get it set up "just right"...I don't have to keep readjusting things.
So cleaning...that is going to be up to a person's personal preference. If my rather lazy way of doing things grosses you out....well then just do what makes you happy.

I am anxious to try it tonight. See just how much having something in my mouth distracts me since I have never ever used any sort of oral appliance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm guessing that if you are a mouth breather who needs to tape your mouth shut that this mask is unusable

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:01 pm

johnthomasmacdonald wrote:I'm guessing that if you are a mouth breather who needs to tape your mouth shut that this mask is unusable
You know....I don't know if it would be unusable because it would be possible to secure the lips pretty much closed except for the little piece that is sticking out going to the nasal pillow thing. I don't see any reason why that little bit sticking out couldn't be included. It's very tiny. It's flat...about 3/4 of an inch long and maybe 1/8 of an inch tall..so only opening the lips that maybe 1/8 of an inch by 3/4 of an inch length. It's not hard to keep lips closed at all with that 1/8 inch height.

I could see it working with taping fairly easily. Just would take a bit of taping ingenuity. Chipmunk cheeks might be a different story but that has issues even with full tape.
It's a small area what either wouldn't have tape and might not even need securing if the rest of the lips were secured or there is probably some way to tape around that little plastic piece.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Maybe a chin up strip?

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Keep posting about it, Pugsy!

BTW, don't know if this would work for cleaning the mouthpiece... But I clean my bruxism mouthguard, which is made of plastic, with soap and a toothbrush. Obviously rinse well unless you like the taste of soap.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Maybe a chin up strip?
Exactly something like a chin up strip. I don't see any reason why one couldn't be used in conjunction with that little piece that the mouth guard is attached to.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:BTW, don't know if this would work for cleaning the mouthpiece... But I clean my bruxism mouthguard, which is made of plastic, with soap and a toothbrush. Obviously rinse well unless you like the taste of soap.
That would be perfect for cleaning the mouth guard. It isn't going to take much cleaning though...I think mainly to get rid of the idea of the slobber more than the slobber itself. Because the slobber just just rinse off.

I will just have to remember to use cold water. They say that submersing in warm water allows for the mouth guard to be adjusted a little...so if we don't want it moving have to keep it cold.

Another thing...it's shown on the video...if we screw up the first boil and bite attempt all that needs to be done is boil it again for 2 minutes and the form goes right back to the way it was initially and we can start all over.
It's white looking when cool but with the boiling it takes on a clear appearance and turns white as it cools.

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Pugsy, this sounds interesting. Please keep us updated on how it works when you sleep. Thanks.

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:22 pm

I use a night guard. When I get up in the morning, I rinse it with cold water. At night when I brush my teeth, I brush it out with my toothpastey toothbrush and rinse it again. Just in case that might help.
I also have used a night guard for twelve years.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm

I use a denture cleaning tablet on my night guard every night for the past eight years, plus have the dental hygienist put the guard in the ultrasonic cleaner every four months. If I did not clean this guard, the mineral deposits would attracted plaque. Plus, we're already battling the dry mouth associated with CPAP. So I would insist on being able to clean this guard.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Kitatonic wrote:So I would insist on being able to clean this guard.
Oh, it's easily cleaned.
I am just lazy. Trying to figure out a easy way to clean it with the least amount of work.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Thank you, Pugsy for giving us the how to's and what for's! I'm anxious to hear how it sleeps. I hope extremely well.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 pm

I really wanted to LOVE this mask. I loved the way it stays in place without straps. I really LOVE being able to wake up without strap marks on my face! One tragic flaw for me... Unfortunately my nose is a bit to wide to fit the nasal pillows comfortably. The pillows pinch my septum so hard I can't stand the pain by morning.

I REALLY wish they would make a version of this mask with a wider spacing between the nasal pillows so I could use it. As it stands now I will have to go back to my Swift LT and waking up with strap marks every day. (The FX does not stay put for me.)

Mask guy

Post by Mask guy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

When you set your mask up on pressure, move the mask away from your nose as much as you can without it leaking. You will find it doesn't need to be tightened much to seal as a regular mask, as it doesn't move. That will make it more comfortable over the night. You can also adjust the rotation of the seals, to improve the seal if needed.