New mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vancity

New mask

Post by vancity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 am

looks interesting... by Airway Management.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 761932.htm

SnorkelPuss

Re: New mask

Post by SnorkelPuss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 am

This looks like a good one.
I've sworn off nasal pillows but this might work. I like the use of the mouth for stability and no straps. Woo hoo.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Very interesting...especially the no headgear part...don't know how stable it might be with my dancing around in bed but I think I would be willing to give that one a try. I love to try new nasal pillow masks. Is this thing available anywhere yet? I don't have time to go shopping on the internet right now.

Not long ago I got a chance to try the Headrest (now discontinued) and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well I liked it despite all the "stuff" that went overhead.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

vancity

Post by vancity » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm

The news release was today and said it's available now:

DALLAS, TX--(Marketwire - Feb 27, 2013) - Airway Management (AMI) released the revolutionary TAP PAP™ Nasal Pillow Mask to the Home Medical and Sleep Markets today.

I guess a person would be able to buy just about anywhere, very soon...

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:48 pm

This looks promising. I'm not sure if I can try it just yet, I'm looking at braces to fix 13 yrs of using my CPAP without a retainer. If I had used a retainer, my upper teeth would not have moved so much they have pushed forward, so some type of orthodonic appliance is becoming necessay, then I will use a retianer forever, so I'm not sure if I could use this with the retainer. It looks so promising, I'm going to take a copy of the article to both my sleep dr & new orthodontist. Maybe I can use it, seems I'm talking myself into it as I type!

Anyway, I can see a lot of benefits from a device like this - it could be the 'mask of the future'!
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

ems

Post by ems » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Deleted... nothing like looking at the video to figure out the answer to your question.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am

Talk about timing.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... -mask.html

$129 and that includes free return insurance.

I already ordered mine. I have never used any sort of mouth piece so will see how that works out.
Should arrive Friday. Review after I give it a try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Debijo

Post by Debijo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 am

Can't wait for review, It really does look interesting!

Debijo

Post by Debijo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am

These are made in the USA! I paid my credit card bill yesterday......somebody needs to break my fingers before I order one

KSMike

Post by KSMike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am

It's always great to see new masks aimed at advancing the science & comfort, but this doesn't appear to do anything for open-mouth breathers or those whose mouths won't stay closed under pressure (as with any nasal-only mask).
Mike
Kansas City

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 am

The mask envy bug.....it's pretty easy to catch.

We tend to do this with just about any new mask that gets released depending on which type we use. Always in search of something maybe a "little better" even though we are content with what we have.
For me....
The Wisp...not interested enough to spend the money.
Full Face new masks...not interested at all.. My neck and their headgear don't get along well even if I could stand having a large octopus sucking on my face.
BUT nasal pillows or prongs...they get my interest and will usually want to try bad enough to spend my money. My DME is always the last to know of a new mask...after I tell him. Can't wait to show him this new one.
I figure if I hate it there is always someone who likes it (no matter how many hate it) and I can find a new home for it.
With the free return insurance I won't even lose any money this time.

So far the only nasal pillow mask I hate is the Optilife and that's more because of the headgear than the nasal pillows themselves.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

KSMike wrote:this doesn't appear to do anything for open-mouth breathers or those whose mouths won't stay closed under pressure (as with any nasal-only mask).
No it won't help those people with mouth opening issues unless the brain learns to maybe keep the mouth shut better subconsciously with the need to bite the mouth piece to keep things in place.

For marginal or minimal mouth breathing...it might work. I have been known to have an occasion open mouth session...not enough that it horribly impacts my therapy so I just shrug my shoulders. It isn't enough that I want to fiddle with a chin strap or tap.

I rarely have any nasal congestion issues that I can't clear up enough to comfortably use only my nose for breathing. Most of my mouth breathing, when it happens, is when I end up on my back and even then it doesn't happen all the time.

Maybe the next "latest and greatest" new mask will be a full face mask for you that are mouth breathers. It's about time for one to be released. It's been a while...the Amara...was it the last? ResMed hasn't had a new FFM mask in quite some time.

KSMike

Post by KSMike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

That would sure be nice. I'm having better success with the Liberty than with all the previous masks I've tried, but the headgear has caused severe problems with one eye. Keeping my mouth clenched all night would be only slightly better than not sleeping at all. We still have a long way to go with mask development IMO.
Mike
Kansas City

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:Talk about timing.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... -mask.html

$129 and that includes free return insurance.

I already ordered mine. I have never used any sort of mouth piece so will see how that works out.
Should arrive Friday. Review after I give it a try.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I may just let you be the first guinea pig!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't mind being a guinea pig...I like to experiment.
You know even a failed experiment teaches us something. Sometimes teaches us something we would rather not know but it still gives us an opportunity to learn.

I had been toying with the idea of some sort of mouth guard anyway. My TMJs has been acting up and I think I have been clenching my teeth a bit...maybe even a bit of grinding. I don't normally have TMJ issues unless I chew a lot of gum or something but recently in the last month or so sometimes they have been quite painful and rather annoying and I can't blame it on gum at all.