Cheap, Easy Solution for Mouth Breathing/Leaking

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Boyce

Cheap, Easy Solution for Mouth Breathing/Leaking

Post by Boyce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Boyce

pikov22

Re: Cheap, Easy Solution for Mouth Breathing/Leaking

Post by pikov22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

what is it?:
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:48 pm

It looks like it would get in the way of my nasal mask, but looks intriguing. I would certainly try it as a substitute for my chin strap.

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

I see nothing that would prevent my jaw from dropping, therefore it would be useless to me.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I think I'd rather wear it in my mouth than outside of my mouth. . . .a thin mouth piece that simply covers my top and bottom teeth from the front.

I used to take those cheap $2 mouth-guards and melt them into shape to do this - worked beautifully.

Is this a prototype? Do you think you could fudge it a little to see if you can fit it into the mouth instead of on top? One less strap around my head is totally extra points for me.

Though I really like this this holds the chin. . . have you tried it? How does it feel?

Edit: Just saw and clicked on your link. I don't know. I'd be tempted to buy it to see if I could 'fix' it.
Last edited by quietmorning on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamrobot

Post by Dreamrobot » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:00 pm

is that hard or soft plastic?

You think I look scary? wait till I put my mask on.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Mary Z wrote:It looks like it would get in the way of my nasal mask, but looks intriguing. I would certainly try it as a substitute for my chin strap.
Mary: I thought you were using the Fitlife Total Mask? When and why did you switch? Sheriff

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:07 pm

FAIL.
Its got bad reviews
Orignally priced at $45
It would have to be completely removed in order to have a drink.

Easier solution to mouth leaking = Mouth taping

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I can look at that thing and tell it would be worthless for my mouth leaking. I would not even bother with it. Might as well get a chin strap.

Hell maybe I will get lucky and find out my problems are really do to bad tonsils and just have them cut out and my ear ache will go away and I relax with the quattro. It served me well for many years.

Eric

Boyce

Post by Boyce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Suddenly Worn Out wrote:

Hell maybe I will get lucky and find out my problems are really do to bad tonsils and just have them cut out and my ear ache will go away and I relax with the quattro. It served me well for many years.

Eric
Maybe tonsillectomy would cure your sleep apnea. It has for some people.
Boyce

Boyce

Post by Boyce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 pm

A few of you need to look at the link on Amazon. See ---> http://www.amazon.com/Snore-Away-MaskTM ... 007SICD3Y/
Last edited by Boyce on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boyce

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 pm

I think..........
I'm amazed at the convoluted things people go through to avoid wearing a full face mask.
Tape, chin straps, mouth guards, etc., etc.
The response is almost always......"But, I'm claustrophobic in a full face mask."
And, all that stuff you apply to your face and head DOESN'T make you feel just as claustrophobic?
YIKES!!!

Den <shaking his head>

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Got tape? (2" blue painters tape) The trick is to pull your lower lip up like a (growl) bulldog.
If it works, but you're not thrilled with crafts night, you can order chin up strips.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Wulfman... wrote:I think..........
I'm amazed at the convoluted things people go through to avoid wearing a full face mask.
The response is almost always......"But, I'm claustrophobic in a full face mask."
And, all that stuff you apply to your face and head DOESN'T make you feel just as claustrophobic?
YIKES!!!

Den <shaking his head>

Finding a FF mask that actually fits and doesn't constantly leak has been impossible for me. I've tried every Petite or Extra Small FF mask made. The only one that came close was AMARA and the air flow inside the mask felt like a mini-hurricane all night. Just horrible.

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Resmed Quattro FFM works GREAT for me. Seriously, it is a good mask and does give you good...no...excellent therapy. The problem with it is that the Resmed claim that it does not have to be tightened up to avoid leaks is a LIE. And most sleep medicine doctors acquiese with that Resmed LIE and go along to get along. They do get their paychecks from prescribing this equipment, afterall.

The problem with tight full face masks is you ultimately trade one problem for new problems. You trade treating your sleep apnea for future skin breakdown, pressure sores, even ear, nose and throat infections. It dont take a rocket scientist to know that a piece of silicone and plastic pressed up hard against your face all night long is likely to irritate your sinuses and restrict neck and head movement during sleep.

Im all for CPAP it saved my life and continues to keep me alive. But regarding the headgear/mask aspect of it, there has gotta be a better way.

Eric
VikingGnome wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:I think..........
YIKES!!!

Den <shaking his head>

Finding a FF mask that actually fits and doesn't constantly leak has been impossible for me. I've tried every Petite or Extra Small FF mask made. The only one that came close was AMARA and the air flow inside the mask felt like a mini-hurricane all night. Just horrible.