getting a mask online

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nwyant

getting a mask online

Post by nwyant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 am

Do you need a prescription to order a mask online(I know I would have to pay for it out of my pocket), but can they be ordered?

herefishy

Re: getting a mask online

Post by herefishy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 am

You need a Rx for online dealers, but a regular doctor can issue it.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 am

Yes, you need a prescription. Cpap.com will even send a form to your doctor to be signed for approval if you go through them.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 am

You need a prescription if you buy a complete mask. But you can buy all the "replacement" parts to make a complete mask without a prescription. Sometimes this will even save you some money.

The downside of purchasing a mask this way is that you won't be able to return it if it doesn't work for you. Getting a mask that fits can be quite a challenge, so being able to trade one that doesn't work in for one that does is important. If it is at all possible, I'd go to a local DME for your first mask. I didn't do that myself because one of the two DMEs in my area wouldn't shut up long enough for me to explain what I needed, and the other one refused to have anything to do with me when they realized that I hadn't had a titration study (nevermind that I did have a prescription and an APAP machine). Fortuantely, I managed to make the mask I picked work. But I don't recommend this course if there is another open to you.

nwyant

Post by nwyant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

They are coming out sometime today with a couple of different masks for me to try. I just can't handle these GoLife Nasal pillows. My nose is sore and where the plastic piece sits on my face is sore. I will keep them in case of emergency though. I am sleeping with them, but in the morning the soreness is very pronounced.