Ladies - protecting long hair.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

Ladies - protecting long hair.

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am

I have medium long curly hair - and the cpap mask whether I use Velcro with it (love this idea) or not, pulls a significant amount of my hair out every night. . . so I started on a search to try to find something that will protect my hair and keep my mask from slipping all at the same time.

Last night I tried this:

Copyright 1994-2013 Headcovers Unlimited,Inc
Used with permission.
http://www.headcovers.com/

When I put the cap on the first time, my initial thought was that the mask would probably slip - but it was slipping already, any way, so I'd make adjustments from there. I thought I might have to sew some ties on it and maybe some velcro on the back of my mask. The lace around the crown of the head works well with velcro, by the way.

I used just the mask last night - absolutely NOTHING slipped. I bunned my hair and put the cap on. The cap did not slip at all, either.

I am impressed. This morning I purchased a few more things to try out with my mask at night - I'll update this with each trial as I try each product.

Happy Happy.

PS Ladies, if you've found anything else that works - please be invited to post about it here.

Debijo

Re: Ladies - protecting long hair.

Post by Debijo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm

That is cute, what a good idea. Please keep us updated....I too have hair that I am trying to protect from Velcro so this topic is high on my list!

debi

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm

I would have never thought to look at that site. What a great find!
And so cute!

PreemieNrsTiffy

Post by PreemieNrsTiffy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I don't have long hair, but it's a complete bird's nest after wearing the whole getup I have now, the cap you showed would probably keep things a little tamer.

I am very hot natured and was wondering if this cap was very warm to you? It just stated it was "knit".

I just started CPAP this last week and I have some concerns about how hot it will make me come summertime.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

PreemieNrsTiffy wrote:I don't have long hair, but it's a complete bird's nest after wearing the whole getup I have now, the cap you showed would probably keep things a little tamer.

I am very hot natured and was wondering if this cap was very warm to you? It just stated it was "knit".

I just started CPAP this last week and I have some concerns about how hot it will make me come summertime.
The material is very very light. . .like a very stretchy silk - though it isn't silk. I was not hot in it at all - it is very comfortable and very breathable.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I use a buff, it covers me from my forehead down to the bottom of my hair. The ones I have are microfiber so they do not rub on my hair.

http://www.buffwear.com/buff-headwear/original-buff

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Debijo wrote:That is cute, what a good idea. Please keep us updated....I too have hair that I am trying to protect from Velcro so this topic is high on my list!

debi
I will, the other two cap 'types' should be here at the end of this week or the beginning of the next week.

It's nice to sleep with out a knot at the back of my head from the pony tail.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I would have never thought to look at that site. What a great find!
And so cute!
I could just go through the pages and pages and pages. . .the hats are so cute! But there IS a budget. . .so gotta think of necessity first. . . :-/

**sitting on hands**

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:05 pm

JO'M wrote:I use a buff, it covers me from my forehead down to the bottom of my hair. The ones I have are microfiber so they do not rub on my hair.

http://www.buffwear.com/buff-headwear/original-buff
I was looking at these this morning as well - after doing a search on here to find different options . . . I have a couple of questions. . .are these made out of microfiber . . .like microfiber fleece? Are they warm to wear? (Great in the winter, not a good thing in the summer). Do they stay in place? I love the different colors and the functionality of them. . .I might get a few whether I use them for sleep or not.

Debijo

Post by Debijo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 pm

I just ordered this:

Handmade in the USA, $5.95 postage paid, sorry, my attempt at posting the pic didn't work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geometric-Alope ... fresh=true

Debi

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Debijo wrote:I just ordered this:

Handmade in the USA, $5.95 postage paid, sorry, my attempt at posting the pic didn't work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geometric-Alope ... fresh=true

Debi
awesome!

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm with Preemie. I've been trying grow my hair long. However, as she stated, it looks like a nest due to hair breaking off.
I've been waiting for a thread like this for women. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. There is a thread out there for bald men.
We gals want to keep our hair looking great. Thank you very much for the heads up.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Starlette wrote:I'm with Preemie. I've been trying grow my hair long. However, as she stated, it looks like a nest due to hair breaking off.
I've been waiting for a thread like this for women. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. There is a thread out there for bald men.
We gals want to keep our hair looking great. Thank you very much for the heads up.
I'll try to post pictures with the rest of what I purchased. . . .and I'm trying very hard not to buy anything else . . . for a little while.

PreemieNrsTiffy

Post by PreemieNrsTiffy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Here's another cotton cap I found. I need a chin strap and this incorporates both. My current chin strap is neoprene and even in these cooler months I still find I've sweated a little under it in the morning.

Do I sound like I'm kinda crazy about being hot-natured? My poor husband has vastly different internal thermostat settings and has to wear fleece year round.

Partly inspired by the "CPAP hair" I've started to consider trimming a few inches.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 pm

PreemieNrsTiffy wrote:Here's another cotton cap I found. I need a chin strap and this incorporates both. My current chin strap is neoprene and even in these cooler months I still find I've sweated a little under it in the morning.

Do I sound like I'm kinda crazy about being hot-natured? My poor husband has vastly different internal thermostat settings and has to wear fleece year round.

Partly inspired by the "CPAP hair" I've started to consider trimming a few inches.
Nope not crazy at all. .. lol. . .I used to freeze in 80 degree weather . .. until last year. Now I'm always too hot. . .

Preemie, did you mean to post a picture or a link? I don't think it made it into the post. . .?