Chiller Suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
freshair

Re: Chiller Suggestions

Post by freshair » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:33 am

freshair

Post by freshair » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 am

freshair

Post by freshair » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:41 am

This is my first try at this....I have to tweak it more by adding the humidifier back in the circuit so as to get cool damp air, after two hrs last nite I had to take the chiller off line and put humidifier back on....the ice paks worked well...tonite is another nite---I shall persevere---TKS-FA

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I think that deserves to win one of the Lab rat awards .

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

freshair

the modified chiller thriller

Post by freshair » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 pm

This tonites chill thrill Image

DeepBreath

Re: Chiller Suggestions-----trial run tonite

Post by DeepBreath » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:23 pm

freshair wrote:I put together a prototype chiller today and will try tonite....I forgot how to upload picture (---FA

If you've not seen a jockey box before, that's essentially what you are making.

freshair

Post by freshair » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm

no i've never seen a jockey box before, looks expensive and big......i think this little 6pk chiller will do the trip tonite, if not, back to the scrap yard---tks--FA

DeepBreath

Post by DeepBreath » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 pm

freshair wrote:no i've never seen a jockey box before, looks expensive and big......i think this little 6pk chiller will do the trip tonite, if not, back to the scrap yard---tks--FA

LOL... I was just showing you the concept, not suggesting you needed a beer cooler for your CPAP therapy.

The amount of surface area needed for an effective heat exchange is much greater than length of hose you are using. I suspect you would have better luck with a setup like is shown in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Pyr5YJfew

This is essentially how an AC unit works, the output from the cooler would be your intake for the CPAP machine.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:55 am

WearyOne wrote:How about a fan in your room?
Fans dont cool air, the fan motor warms air. Fans feel like the air is cooler because moving air evaporates moisture better, and the moist surface cools from the evaporation. I run a room a/c, but it only goes down to 64, so moving to a colder climate is a option. They make a device to use in OP Rooms that circulate heated or cooled liquid in a blanket, but I bet it would be costly. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Re: Chiller Suggestions-----trial run tonite

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am

DeepBreath wrote:
freshair wrote:I put together a prototype chiller today and will try tonite....I forgot how to upload picture (---FA

If you've not seen a jockey box before, that's essentially what you are making.

In 1962 I worked with something similar, it was a Root Beer Coke dispenser, It had a cooling coil in a barrel of water with a pair of syrup containers in the water. A carbonated water coil was in it too, so the product was cooled before it was dispensed. Best Root Beer and Cokes in town. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

freshair

The Chiller Thriller nite #2

Post by freshair » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 am

the second trial went very well, had good nite sleep, no cold nose, tonite I will do 3 ice paks....the cost on this thing is very low, almost new cooler at thrift store $5.35, copper coupling from my plumbing box, inside chiller box seals from plastic lids, I cut the end off of one of my med bottles for the hose to humidifier to pass through, the hose was an old one, 3 double zip lock bagged ice paks and a ratio of 3-1 water/rubbing alcohol....total cost about $6.35...priceless...thanks all for support and suggestions--FA

Cool air search

Post by Cool air search » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Interesting! I actually am trying to do something similar but your idea is better.
Appreciate it!