Newbie with choosing a machine question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredr500

Newbie with choosing a machine question

Post by fredr500 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 am

I got my sleep study results yesterday. AHI 17.1, 9.6 arousals/hr due to apnea/hypopneas.

Recommendation: CPAP/Bi-level titration.

An evening of research shows machines ranging from $300 to over $2K. My question is what to be looking at before they try to sell me something.

In this case, money really is no object. I figure a 3 year life if I end up paying 100% will cost me anywhere from $8/month to $58/month. I can afford any of the machines if it gives me a good night's sleep.

I have learned that there are 2 ways to waste money. You can underspend and end up throwing it away to move up, or you can overspend and get more than you will ever need. I don't want to do either, but my engineering background makes me tend to overspend.

My limited research is pushing me to Resmed S9 Autoset. They offer both a cpap ($900 range) and VPAP ($2100 range).

Or am I wasting my time right now? Should I wait until the titration study is complete and then start the decision process?

Pugsy

Re: Newbie with choosing a machine question

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 am

fredr500 wrote: Or am I wasting my time right now? Should I wait until the titration study is complete and then start the decision process?
It never hurts to get some extra education but don't do anything except read until you get the titration sleep study done and see what they end up using.

If you end up needing relatively high pressures...you will want a bilevel pressure machine (like the S9 VPAP) for sure because it is just easier to use at higher pressures.

If you happen to end up with a lot of centrals popping up during the titration study then that might indicate one of the really high end bilevel machines is needed.

And of course you may end up with plain jane vanilla OSA and only need a pressure of 8 cm to keep the airway open and the S9 Autoset would be a great choice.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 am

If you are talking bipap you will be towards the upper end of the range. Wait for the final titration.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:46 am

Check out my equipment, I am a newb since the end of October 2012 and my prescription was written for this equipment. I am very happy with this equipment and would recommend it.

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks. I'll keep researching but not make a y decisions or fall in love with any particular machine until I comets the study.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Mask research you can do while waiting.

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 pm

cosmo wrote:Mask research you can do while waiting.
Aren't masks mainly a comfort choice? For my first study they fitted me for a mask in case I qualified for a split night (I didn't). We went through several masks and some felt terrible and others were good. I'd have never known what I like just from looking at them. Or can I choose a style and then get it fitted from there?

I'll start looking at what I can find.
Thanks
Fred

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Here is some reading material while you wait.

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

Happy reading,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Read up and wait for the titration. A bilevel machine is not necessarily "better" than a CPAP/APAP machine.

There are some links in my signature line with information.

Be prepared to fight for the right machine once you determine what kind of machine you need.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bjcyorkiemom

Post by bjcyorkiemom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

I'm using the S9 Auto and loving it. I've set up pap's for patient's for over 15 years and so far, this is by far the most quiet machine I've set up. With the new EPR feature, that reduces pressure when you breathe out (makes it where you don't feel you are fighting the machine), it makes it easier to get use to wearing the patient interface (i.e. face mask).

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 am

I agree with using the auto set 9'. I have been using mine for quite some time and have had no problems with it or my therapy. It's a great quiet machine that you vant go wrong with it.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am

You are right to start the search for the best machine now. Don't buy until they provide the final results. The live of the machine should be 5-7 years; not 3. At least the better machines. Look at cpap.com and while waiting, whatever DME supply is near you. If your insurance is like mine, I can choose among any DME supply in town. I've visited them all and chose which I deal with. Go to each, asking what machine they carry and what people are most happy with. This is a good way to learn which DME lies the less or who you can stand. It's kind of like reviewing which used car sales shop you can stomach to deal with. If any DME demos machines or masks, ask to feel the difference between bilevel and normal and check out the mask's. Ask the DME what bilevel machine they recommend....

A quick study on this board will show the better bi-level machines. The S9 is good; I like my vpap auto (It's my ... third or fourth machine). The vpap auto is the bi-level version of the autoset. Avoid the Escape Auto which does not provide data and any non auto versions.

(1) You want an auto adjusting machine. (2) You want a machine that you can pull (real) data from. (3) You want a heated humidifier. There is a couple good programmers that have made a program (sleepyhead) that will pull data from the machine and show you. (4) Make sure whatever machine you get is one the sleepyhead program works with. {http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/s ... nformation}. By the time you fill these four desirable features you will find the machine is one of the top machines out there. (also you want quiet, reliable, -smart- at adjusting, battery backup options, etc).

You did not mention a mask. You need to spend -much- more dd on the mask. Make sure it works with you at your pressure level. The wrong mask will make your life miserable.

At higher levels of pressure, a bilevel machine IS much better than one that is not. Especially just starting out.

You are not the only engineer here.
fredr500 wrote: Recommendation: CPAP/Bi-level titration....................
but my engineering background
My limited research is pushing me to Resmed S9 Autoset. (N
Or am I wasting my time right now? Should I wait until the titration study is complete and then start the decision process?