CPAP furniture - thinking future

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

CPAP furniture - thinking future

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:05 pm

So, when I first got diagnosed, absolutely NOTHING was thought of as long term. Probably denial, but still.

I have my cpap stuff set up next to my bedside table. I have a plastic three drawer unit that cost less than ten bucks the week I started with cpap. It won't last much longer, it's already getting pretty wobbly and the plastic is beginning to crack in places.

Have any of you seen (anywhere) furniture designed to house the cpap machine and the equipment that goes with it? There are several things I like about this drawer - it's organized and it rolls, but it isn't a long term (as in decades) solution. . .and quite frankly, it looks pretty hideous.

If any one hasn't seen any furniture designed for cpap equipment, does anyone have any ideas to make this at least a little more presentable? It's very functional. . . but there's more to life than 'functional.'

ImageI have tried and tried to reduce this picture to a reasonable size, but photobucket isn't cooperating. Please excuse!

Sheriff Buford

Re: CPAP furniture - thinking future

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I have a "shelved" headboard and my machine sits on it and its above my head. If I used a humidifier, it wouldn't work as I would probably have rainout issues. This issue has been a common topic here. A lot of folks put their machine in a drawer, pull it out at night, then shut it during the day. The only issue I have with that is that it can restrict air flow to the machine due to the walls of the drawer. I wouldn't risk it, but again, a lot of folks here have that set up... and know I am going to hear from them. It may or may not be an issue, but the condition does exist neverless. Do a search. A good end table will work.

Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

There are tons of different solutions, from dedicated cabinets to modified end tables,
nightstands,and plenty of the plastic drawer units like you have.
A member here built a very nice wood one from scratch.
DH hung a custom shelf on the wall; but I am now using a small wood backless seat.
Cpap.com even has a tray that hangs on the side of the bed.
Hello, carhop!

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

My goodness I know a lot of our group use those containers but they are not pretty, I put all my extra supplies in an under bed clear container like those blanket containers. This keeps my room neater, I then have a 2 small nightstands side by side one has an open shelf for my water and the other has a drawer for misc. stuff. I put my hose on a hanger on the wall. Everything is, neat easily reached and when I need new masks or other items they are quickly reached I just pull out from under the bed and get what I need.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:31 pm

I keep all my extra stuff in a plastic tub with a lid in the closest. I have a printer table as a night stand that has shelves. I have plenty of room on the top for my machine, quart bottle of distilled water with squeeze lid, clock, small clock, eye glasses and remote for my fan.

Everything else is on the shelves below, reading material. charger for cell phone. I don't keep a bunch of cpap stuff on the nightstand. I also don't believe in those so called washers and dryer things for CPAP a gimmick to get your money...just a waste of money and it takes up too much space. I live in a small 500 sq ft 1 bedroom apt.

I don't buy or accumulate anything that is not needed.

I would get rid of all the clutter. The plastic shelves are great. I use them as dresser inside my closet. But again its set up and does not move. Maybe you could move that in the closet.

I also do not have a lamp on my nightstand. I have a floor lamp...frees up more space on my table.

My headgear, barrel cover and tube cover go in a lingerer bag and is washed with regular laundry weekly. When I wash my face in the morning I wash my nasal pillows. My tube...well, in 2 plus years I have never washed it. I did break one and changed it out about a year ago.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:I have a "shelved" headboard and my machine sits on it and its above my head. If I used a humidifier, it wouldn't work as I would probably have rainout issues. This issue has been a common topic here. A lot of folks put their machine in a drawer, pull it out at night, then shut it during the day. The only issue I have with that is that it can restrict air flow to the machine due to the walls of the drawer. I wouldn't risk it, but again, a lot of folks here have that set up... and know I am going to hear from them. It may or may not be an issue, but the condition does exist neverless. Do a search. A good end table will work.

Sheriff
Thanks, Sheriff, I'm thinking of asking my husband if he might be willing to do some modifications to the end table I have in the picture. I don't 'think' it's an antique, but I could be wrong. Every time I look at my set up, I feel like I live a second life in hospice or something.

Debijo

Post by Debijo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I already had this cart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-TV- ... 2/16451701

It is working well for me, shelf is adjustable, so I can keep my water jug under it. Plenty of room for lamp. I keep little stuff in decorative pull out baskets on the middle shelf. Price was right!

Debi

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:There are tons of different solutions, from dedicated cabinets to modified end tables,
nightstands,and plenty of the plastic drawer units like you have.
A member here built a very nice wood one from scratch.
DH hung a custom shelf on the wall; but I am now using a small wood backless seat.
Cpap.com even has a tray that hangs on the side of the bed.
Hello, carhop!
I saw the tray and pointed it out to my husband. . . and it's a possibility, but it makes me nervous as I have to practically jump to get into bed - I'm worried I'm going to kick it or something.

I'd love to design a wood end table from scratch - I looked at a few on the net - but the people who sold them don't seem to be in business, and the end tables aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like a piece of wood furniture that will last and look nice.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

imsleepynomore wrote:My goodness I know a lot of our group use those containers but they are not pretty, I put all my extra supplies in an under bed clear container like those blanket containers. This keeps my room neater, I then have a 2 small nightstands side by side one has an open shelf for my water and the other has a drawer for misc. stuff. I put my hose on a hanger on the wall. Everything is, neat easily reached and when I need new masks or other items they are quickly reached I just pull out from under the bed and get what I need.
Hmmm...that could work with all the excess stuff and make a single bedside table work instead of this double set up that I have. Thanks!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 pm

msradar65 wrote:I keep all my extra stuff in a plastic tub with a lid in the closest. I have a printer table as a night stand that has shelves. I have plenty of room on the top for my machine, quart bottle of distilled water with squeeze lid, clock, small clock, eye glasses and remote for my fan.

Everything else is on the shelves below, reading material. charger for cell phone. I don't keep a bunch of cpap stuff on the nightstand. I also don't believe in those so called washers and dryer things for CPAP a gimmick to get your money...just a waste of money and it takes up too much space. I live in a small 500 sq ft 1 bedroom apt.

I don't buy or accumulate anything that is not needed.

I would get rid of all the clutter. The plastic shelves are great. I use them as dresser inside my closet. But again its set up and does not move. Maybe you could move that in the closet.

I also do not have a lamp on my nightstand. I have a floor lamp...frees up more space on my table.

My headgear, barrel cover and tube cover go in a lingerer bag and is washed with regular laundry weekly. When I wash my face in the morning I wash my nasal pillows. My tube...well, in 2 plus years I have never washed it. I did break one and changed it out about a year ago.
I hate clutter too, which is why this is really beginning to bug me.

The dryer is a necessity in this house - it dries all my stuff in an hour, other wise it will mold fairly quickly. Purchasing it was the last resort of trying different modes of drying - everything would take nearly a week to dry.

I'm hoping to have this mess cleaned up and looking like a regular bedroom within the next month or so. I have a lot of things to consider though - power being one. ..as there are only a few outlets in the house and some outlets can handle only so much before they blow the fuses. (I soooo love this house!!)

Any who. . .thanks!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Debijo wrote:I already had this cart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-TV- ... 2/16451701

It is working well for me, shelf is adjustable, so I can keep my water jug under it. Plenty of room for lamp. I keep little stuff in decorative pull out baskets on the middle shelf. Price was right!

Debi
I love the idea of decorative pull out baskets - that would fit right in with this old house! That would make shelving, or tv cart like you have possible and still have it look nice.

Maybe there's hope yet with all of your help, eh?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 pm

This old thread contains some good ideas. I don't know if any of the commercial products are available.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46111&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... wood+stand

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

**book marking**

I just found this:

http://dennyallencabinets.com/nightstands.html

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Ikea! They have flexible stuff for just about everything. They are inexpensive so if you get tired of it you just sell it/give it away on Kijiji

If you need stuff that moves, you can buy wheels in any hardware store.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am

I'm so excited!! I showed hubby the site I posted above - but I told him that there were some pretty big differences that I wanted - asked if maybe a friend of ours could build something for me - and make him a bedside table to match - his answer was, 'why don't we do it? I can do it, and I can teach you how - and we have everything we need."

Well. . . cool beans.

I knew he did a lot of the house carpentry. . . had no clue he could do something like this.