new to cpap and need some help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tye

new to cpap and need some help

Post by tye » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

i recently got diagnosed and am using a Resmed escape that is set at 13. I have a Quattro FX ffm and seem to be having trouble keeping a seal all night. My fiancee said i was snoring again this morning. Need some suggestions for a mask, Also I am taking the escape back to the DME tomorrow because it has no data info. Can someone give me some suggestions as to the better machines out there> the resmed s9 ultra or the respironics system one??? Help@@@@

BlackSpinner

Re: new to cpap and need some help

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 am

tye wrote:i recently got diagnosed and am using a Resmed escape that is set at 13. I have a Quattro FX ffm and seem to be having trouble keeping a seal all night. My fiancee said i was snoring again this morning. Need some suggestions for a mask, Also I am taking the escape back to the DME tomorrow because it has no data info. Can someone give me some suggestions as to the better machines out there> the resmed s9 ultra or the respironics system one??? Help@@@@
Anything from Resmed which Does not have "Escape" in its name (Elite or Autoset) or the resperonics without "Pro" in its name should be avoided.

Look up the member Janknitz for links to various blog entries to help you with this.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am

tye wrote:i recently got diagnosed and am using a Resmed escape that is set at 13. I have a Quattro FX ffm and seem to be having trouble keeping a seal all night. My fiancee said i was snoring again this morning. Need some suggestions for a mask, Also I am taking the escape back to the DME tomorrow because it has no data info. Can someone give me some suggestions as to the better machines out there> the resmed s9 ultra or the respironics system one??? Help@@@@
I'm not up to speed on the newer xPAP models. What I can advise you on is to make sure you start of with an APAP (unless you have substantiated medical need bilevel machine). As I recall, all auto CPAP (APAP) machines provide "efficacy' data. The DME may try to convince you that your Escape provides data -- but it only provides use data NOT "efficacy" data. In addition the APAP machines allow you to more easily adjust your pressure settings for your optimal needs under your own home sleeping conditions.

Don't let the DME or sleep doc push you around ... YOU are the boss and they work for YOU.

EDIT: After looking up your machine ... it DOES provide efficacy data. However, I would still push for an APAP machine.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 am

DreamStalker wrote:EDIT: After looking up your machine ... it DOES provide efficacy data. However, I would still push for an APAP machine.
INCORRECT!

S9 Escape only records usage time and machine settings. No airflow, no AHI, no leaks, no apnea data, etc.

S9 Elite records very good efficacy data.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 am

Make sure your DME will allow you to return your mask for an exchange within 30 days. The mask "hunt" is the challenge. What I like... you may hate. Get the S9 autoset. You can use it in the autopap mode or straight cpap mode.... your choice. Sheriff

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 am

They tried to palm me off with an Escape too first time off till I went back and played hell with them. They finally swapped it out for a resmed A9 Autoset which would be a good one for you seeing as you are a forst time user. You really do have to know how you are doing with it somewhat. The Escape is a brick that tells you nothing. Def go back and tell them to swap it out but dont wait too long. Good luck.
"I'm not sleeping, I'm just checking my eyelids for pinholes!" - My Dad

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 am

I really like the resmed Vpap machines since you can get relief on exhalation - I've got an S9 vpap S and it is my favorite out of 4 machines I've tried. In increasing order of dislike: resmed ASV adapt enhanced, system one respironics apap/bipap, and system one respironics apap

as to masks, my current favorite is the FX mirage nasal mask - the tech at resmed recommended it for use at high pressures. I mouth breathe so i need to tape my mouth, a bit of a pain

Best full face i've tried is the fitlife by respironics

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 am

Here is a link that should help:

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

Ask questions if you need further help,
Jen

EDIT: DO NOT GET THE ICON!

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

raptor5150

Post by raptor5150 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Ialso was sent home with an Escape, after reading here I asked my doctor to help me get an Autoset and he did. Sure glad I did cause I sleep better with auto settings Stand your ground especially since you will be using it for years to come. Good luck!

tye

Post by tye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I called a different dime today and I am changing tomorrow to a resperonics system one 60. The respitory therapist couldn't talk highly enough of this machine. She also gave me a swift fx nasal mask and I tried it today with a chin strap and it worked wonderfully. No leaks and I was able to turn over without losing the seal. Thank you everyone for the great input. I look forward to speaking again with all of you soon

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm

How much is that Resprironics machine? My Kaiser insurance/Apria DME has the DS560S for $700 and $100 for regular humidifier tank. That was the invoiced price.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

tye wrote: I called a different dime today and I am changing tomorrow to a resperonics system one 60. The respitory therapist couldn't talk highly enough of this machine.
Make sure that you educate yourself as to model numbers of the Respironics System One 60 series machine so that you don't end up with the brick equivalent of your Escape but in the Respironics brand.

The model names are a bit confusing but model numbers don't lie.
Don't accept anything with model number not being at least in the 400s. There is a 260 model and it will have a SD card but it only gathers hours of use just like the S9 Escape..
Model numbers are plainly seen on a sticker on the bottom of the blower unit...a 3 digit number.
Model 460...would be the PR System one 60 series Pro CPAP machine
Model 560...would be the PR System one 60 series Auto CPAP machine
There are higher model numbers but it is doubtful that you would be in the bilevel machine category at this stage of things so I won't go into that discussion.

There is software available so you can easily see what the machine gathers and help you evaluate your own therapy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tye

Post by tye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't know the exact price but I have blue cross blue shield insurance and they are paying 100% of the machine. I did call the DME and the machine is a system one model 560 auto pap. Looking forward to getting this machine so I can at least see how my therapy is going.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Check out my equipment, at the bottom of this post. I have been on CPAP since October 2012 and it has been fun getting use to the full face mask, cleaning the mask daily, and refilling the water tank with distiller water daily. Have had a cold, itches under the mask, using the CPAP pillow. Keep using this forum, it has great info in it and lots of helpful people with good information. Hope you get the correct equipment and make sure it fits. Good luck.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Sent you a pm